Future rush on low capacity guns?

I think it’s safe to say the next four years won’t be “pleasurable” for gun owners. With the heavy use of executive action and the time it takes to overturn these actions, has anyone looked at their lower capacity carry guns to make sure your covered if you suddenly can’t carry the G19. 

I figure the Clinton days maybe coming back sooner rather than later. I could see a 10 round cap. Do we get grandfathered? Who knows. I was too young to be a gun owner in the Clinton days and don’t know how that worked. Any insight from those who have lived through a anti gun administration with a majority in both chambers? Thanks. 

Regular capacity magazines were grandfathered during the Clinton gun ban but no one has any idea what will get passed by the current Congress.  Beto and some others have made clear their desire for confiscation, but I doubt most Dems think they could get that passed.  

And, in case of another high-cap ban, likely you could still carry your G19 -- you'd just have to use a neutered 10-round mag.

1 minute ago, Whisper said:

Regular capacity magazines were grandfathered during the Clinton gun ban but no one has any idea what will get passed by the current Congress.  Beto and some others have made clear their desire for confiscation, but I doubt most Dems think they could get that passed.  

And, in case of another high-cap ban, likely you could still carry your G19 -- you'd just have to use a neutered 10-round mag.

I know not everyone would feel this way, but if I’m limited in capacity I’m not toting a big gun. My 239 would probably turn into the primary. (I know, it weighs more and isn’t that much smaller) 

I’m curious if we will see people loading up on lower capacity guns so we have something to carry when we wake up to a 1:30am executive order that limits mag capacity outside the home or something of the like. 

A lot of normal capacity guns were sold with 10 round mags.  A couple of years ago I bought a Hi-Power clone NIB that was imported in the late 90s. It came with two factory 10 rounders because that was all that was allowed at the time. 

Or you could just switch to bigger bullets as in a single stack .45. 😉

BTW: if you want any normal capacity mags, now's the time to get 'em. When the assault weapon ban happened in 94, normal magazines were selling at the speed of light and prices got plumb crazy.  I'm talking $100+ for one otherwise common pistol mag. 😲

• Like 1

There will be no “grandfathering” in future laws re: magazines (or clips if you prefer) unless they are serial numbered and quite possibly with an electronic tracking device and/or DNA swab incorporated into them.

If I’m not mistaken States like California have already enacted outright bans on normal mags, regardless of when they were made or acquired.   Municipalities are doing or trying the same.

The endgame is an outright ban, there is no more “easing” gun owners into compliance.  They want it done now.

if you go hunting for 10 round mags you might just find them absurdly priced.  It’s been that way for a while now.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

If I'm not mistaken the dems. Got the whole congress, and the Presidency. If that's the case, they're going to be picking them up in a year of so. Most Americans want to be good law biding citizens and a lot of others will turn guns in just not to be felons. So they've got most of us coming or going. All they have to do is pick up the 4473 forms from the dealers. They can't say no to the ATF. 

Maryland only allows the sale of 10 round magazines but allows possession of high capacity magazines.  I have been told but have not confirmed, the stores in MD sell magazines with a "plug" that limits the capacity to 10 rounds and then the sales person tells you how to remove the plug, but they will not do it for you. 

1 hour ago, robin48 said:

I guess maybe I should go ahead and order some 10 round mags

That was kinda my point. If you carry a big gun, get some small mags. If you don’t want to carry a big gun with small mags, get a small gun before they are about as hard to find as ammo right now. 

I think by nature, we prepare for the unforeseeable. Given the landscape, I think we need to prepare for low round counts (at best)  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Garufa said:

If I’m not mistaken States like California have already enacted outright bans on normal mags, regardless of when they were made or acquired.   Municipalities are doing or trying the same.

Actually, that's not correct.  California did "grandfather in" possession of existing normal magazines when they passed the ban on sales of new ones, and when the ban was temporarily suspended by the courts, those Californians who wisely hastened to buy regular mags were allowed to keep them when the ban was reimposed.

Outright bans and confiscation of guns or magazines, without any grandfathering, would unquestionably produce a flurry of lawsuits under the "takings clause" of the Fifth Amendment.  Few governments want to incur the expense that would entail.  But of course, tyrants wanna tyrannize, so you never know for sure....

Cheers,

Whisper

• Like 3

At least till next week you can buy a gun.  But good "ol Uncle Sam will tell you what you can have, what it looks like, and how many rounds it can hold. Oh yea, if you can't hunt with it, it's not allowed. In some places the steel poppers we use in USPSA are not allowed to have tops on them. The poppers look like people and the little ones look like children.

Keep up the good work dems. It won't be long until there will be no middle class, and we'll all be on our knees begging to Uncle Sam.

FIX THE FRAUD IN THE VOTING SYSTEM NOW!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I ain't buying no neutered mags. I did buy 10 more standard capacity G17 mags, and a few more AK mags (already set on AR mags).

I'm betting on a grandfather, and no law enforcement (at least in red states) is eager to start going door to door to round anything up. My local Sherriff has already said he flat out won't do it, and will hinder any efforts by the State or Feds to do the same.

• Like 3
On 2/2/2021 at 7:26 PM, Parrothead said:

I think it’s safe to say the next four years won’t be “pleasurable” for gun owners. With the heavy use of executive action and the time it takes to overturn these actions, has anyone looked at their lower capacity carry guns to make sure your covered if you suddenly can’t carry the G19. 

I figure the Clinton days maybe coming back sooner rather than later. I could see a 10 round cap. Do we get grandfathered? Who knows. I was too young to be a gun owner in the Clinton days and don’t know how that worked. Any insight from those who have lived through a anti gun administration with a majority in both chambers? Thanks. 

I pretty much have already done this.  All my carry pistols are 5 to 9 rounders.  

On 2/2/2021 at 7:46 PM, Garufa said:

There will be no “grandfathering” in future laws re: magazines (or clips if you prefer) unless they are serial numbered and quite possibly with an electronic tracking device and/or DNA swab incorporated into them.

The endgame is an outright ban, there is no more “easing” gun owners into compliance.  They want it done now.

if you go hunting for 10 round mags you might just find them absurdly priced.  It’s been that way for a while now.

This. They already know the flaws in the AWB from the Clinton years and know how to fix them.  I expect that when we see it coming down the pike, it's going to look a lot like what's happened in the left controlled states of the Northeast or West Coast. We can expect all firearms transfers will have to go through a FFL, prior to it happening.

I just hope, that if it happens, it's not as draconian as New Jersey, where it takes months to get approved to purchase a firearms.  At the very least.  I don't expect there is going to be any sort of immediate purchase option either, like now, with instant background checks.  I expect a 15 day waiting period at the very least and TICS will no longer exist.  All BGC will have to go through NICS.

On 2/3/2021 at 8:15 AM, Whisper said:

Actually, that's not correct.  California did "grandfather in" possession of existing normal magazines when they passed the ban on sales of new ones, and when the ban was temporarily suspended by the courts, those Californians who wisely hastened to buy regular mags were allowed to keep them when the ban was reimposed.

Outright bans and confiscation of guns or magazines, without any grandfathering, would unquestionably produce a flurry of lawsuits under the "takings clause" of the Fifth Amendment.  Few governments want to incur the expense that would entail.  But of course, tyrants wanna tyrannize, so you never know for sure....

Cheers,

Whisper

Don't expect that this time around.

7 hours ago, m16ty said:

I ain't buying no neutered mags. I did buy 10 more standard capacity G17 mags, and a few more AK mags (already set on AR mags).

I'm betting on a grandfather, and no law enforcement (at least in red states) is eager to start going door to door to round anything up. My local Sherriff has already said he flat out won't do it, and will hinder any efforts by the State or Feds to do the same.

That's your Sherriff now.  But watch for the Feds to start making examples of those that stand up and say no. Then tunes will change or those folks will be seeing the inside of a prison cell for sedition. Yes, I said sedition.  That cat's already out of the bag, after January 6th.  It's the new buzz word.  If folks think the Republican Party, conservatives and Libertarians are Facists, they ain't seen nothing yet.  The Democrats are about to bring it to a whole new level.  Left-Wing Fascism is alive and well and coming at us like a mile long train.

On 2/17/2021 at 6:09 AM, Moped said:

That's your Sherriff now.  But watch for the Feds to start making examples of those that stand up and say no. Then tunes will change or those folks will be seeing the inside of a prison cell for sedition. Yes, I said sedition.  That cat's already out of the bag, after January 6th.  It's the new buzz word.  If folks think the Republican Party, conservatives and Libertarians are Facists, they ain't seen nothing yet.  The Democrats are about to bring it to a whole new level.  Left-Wing Fascism is alive and well and coming at us like a mile long train.

As far as the Sheriff goes, you are right, talk is cheap, and he could change his tune if his himself is threatened with jail. That’s all the more reason we have to stand behind people like this when the pressure comes down on them. Local and state government is the best defense we have against all this mess. If that fails, it’s going to be very bad.

like the saying goes “when it becomes time to bury your guns, it will be time to dig them back up”.

I read a story once about how Saddam Husain came to power. What he did was call a big meeting and had all the local leaders come and discuss his new administration. He stood up and started reading a list of names. When he said somebody’s name, they would take them outside and shoot them. He didn’t have to kill everybody, he just had to kill a few to prove his point. After that everybody fell in line. The IRS does the same thing, they couldn’t do a thing if everybody agrees to stop paying taxes. People have tried the no tax movement in the past, they didn’t prosecute all of them, but they did a few and did it severely, and everybody else fell back in line.