Why I Don't Do Gun Business With Perfect Strangers

E4 No More

Sad story.  You can do gun deals arranged online, but you need to exercise some selectivity (buyers from TGO are generally a trustworthy group).  Don't do deals at night, and meet in a public place like a gun store parking lot or a police dept parking lot (several depts maintain places for Craig's List transactions and whatnot).   I'm sorry for this guy and his family.

• Like 5
37 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Sad story.  You can do gun deals arranged online, but you need to exercise some selectivity (buyers from TGO are generally a trustworthy group).  Don't do deals at night, and meet in a public place like a gun store parking lot or a police dept parking lot (several depts maintain places for Craig's List transactions and whatnot).   I'm sorry for this guy and his family.

I don't consider TGO members to be perfect strangers. But before I agree to meet anyone from TGO I look at their post counts to see if they are established or not. I red flag any for sale ads from new members. I only post guns that I want to sell on TGO.

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I don't consider TGO members to be perfect strangers. But before I agree to meet anyone from TGO I look at their post counts to see if they are established or not. I red flag any for sale ads from new members. I only post guns that I want to sell on TGO.

With the exception of one member who I haven't seen post in years, I consider TGO members to be miles ahead of the general public, and welcome at my home anytime.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sad story, but it can happen with any type of on-line FTF transaction. Many people have been robbed or killed when trying to purchase stuff off Craig's List or similar sites. On-line car deals are especially hot due to large amounts of cash. Food delivery drivers are common victims. 

Go armed, with another person if possible, daytime and highly visible public place. Stay very alert and if anything at all just feels wrong, no deal and get out quick. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, E4 No More said:

What I thought weird about the story is that the dude shot the buyer but not the passenger. Makes me wonder if there's more to the story.

There is a lot missing from that snippet of s story. The backseat thing...

and glazing what the deal was with his partner, especially what happened right after the guy got shot between shooter and him.

they side stepped the online site info. Any bets?  Armslist? GOC?

It sure smells bad like a herring!! Lots of unanswered questions, why didn't the shooter shoot at the passenger? I certainly am not going to let a rank stranger into my back seat, my passenger would have fired the 2nd shot. Sounds like a good fake news story of a drug deal gone bad, but if it makes gun ownership look bad, lets put it on the front page in bold type!!!

• Moderators

I too have suspicions, but I will reserve them. The victim here was a 22yo kid. He very well could have been naive enough through youth and inexperience to place himself in such a bad situation. I know I ended up in a lot of sketch situations at that age. Time will tell what the truth really is here. 

• Like 2

Sad story. I hate that the media reported that the victim "responded to an online ad" when there's no proof that a gun sale was involved at all. It makes it a "gun sale" story instead of a "guy shot" story. I suspect that a gun sale wasn't even evolved. It's more likely that the survivor said "gun sale" to avoid saying it was a drug deal gone bad. I reserve the right to change my mind if the facts change... 😉 🙂