2A Sanctuary State?

We all know what's coming from Washington. Many Counties in TN have already passed 2A Sanctuary resolutions. However, I'd like to get a movement going to have the entire state of Tennessee declared a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary. I think that with a little nudging from the citizens that this could be done. It won't stop the feds, but it will send a message that we want no part of their BS. I sent e-mails to my State Senator and Representative today. I strongly urge everyone here to do so and encourage all your friends to join in too. The time to speak up is now. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I think it's a great idea as well. However, I think I read somewhere that someone did this in TN and received a response from a senator or rep basically stating that it's already been brought to their attention and they are considering it. That being said, it certainly can't hurt to make that voice louder - I think it needs to be in light of all that's going on.

Right now 59 of our 95 counties have passed 2A Sanctuary resolutions. I don't think it would take much convincing at all to get this passed. But we have to let our legislators know we want this. Otherwise, it'll just get ignored in the bureaucratic shuffle.  I did hear back from one rep thanking me for bringing it to his attention. He did say he would look into it. He's very pro-gun and I hope he actually will. 

So, how many of you have contacted your legislators? 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
11 minutes ago, krunchnik said:

I have written to Bill Hagerty and Marsha Blackburn on several occasions-when they see my E-Mail address come up I would imagine they think(not this guy again)

I also usually include David kustoff in there as well.

I'm sure my email is on their speed dial! Lol

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Father Goose said:

I wrote an email to both reps the other day. Haven't heard anything back, but not necessarily expecting to.

I have always gotten a response form both of them. Usually takes a few days, Hagerty is usually a little slower than Blackburn. 

Emailed Bill Lee recently urging State to be proactive in protecting 2nd Amendment rights. Especially needed now since an all out a assault our our gun rights is near. Asked specifically to pass State sanctuary and constitutional carry laws. Got a simple but fast statement back that Governor would work to protect our gun rights. Reply came back within an hour. 

• Like 1

While it does not use the word “sanctuary” HB0446/SB0557 looks helpful:

“Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, adds a prohibition of the expenditure of state or local funds or employees to implement, regulate, or enforce any federal law or executive order regulating the sale of firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories if the expenditure of funds or use of employees would violate a state law or the state constitution. - Amends TCA Title 38 and Title 39.”

• Like 1
On 2/14/2021 at 7:04 PM, 1796 said:

While it does not use the word “sanctuary” HB0446/SB0557 looks helpful:

“Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, adds a prohibition of the expenditure of state or local funds or employees to implement, regulate, or enforce any federal law or executive order regulating the sale of firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories if the expenditure of funds or use of employees would violate a state law or the state constitution. - Amends TCA Title 38 and Title 39.”

Thanks for the update. Please explain how this proposed legislation wording  could help in protecting TN citizens from the Fed gun apocalypse coming down the pike. IMO a strong stand  alone sanctuary law is paramount to be passed and soon. USA may not have a 2nd Amendment very long from now.  All red states should have passed one yesterday!

If you look at most of the wording IRT a Sanctuary Law, it mostly reads like the above.  A state will not stop the Feds from enforcing a law, they will just not help it.  Like the immigration sanctuary states, the Feds can still come in and get illegals (well last admin anyway), but were prevented from using local LEO as backup.

• Like 1

I would like to see TN pass a strong 2nd sanctuary law prior to Fed legislation. As well as other red states. I think it would help. The gun control legislation being talked about and actually filed (ie bill introduced by Rep Shiela Jackson Lee) will basically make the 2nd Amendment null and void. A part of the Bill of Rights taken out by legislation alone. No State action.  The quest to protect our countries 2nd Amendment rights is heating up. 

Edited by Blitzen
Correction.
11 hours ago, Blitzen said:

I would like to see TN pass a strong 2nd sanctuary law prior to Fed legislation. As well as other red states. I think it would help. The gun control legislation being talked about and actually filed (ie bill introduced by Rep Shiela Jackson Lee) will basically make the 2nd Amendment null and void. A part of the Bill of Rights taken out by legislation alone. No State action.  The quest to protect our countries 2nd Amendment rights is heating up. 

The state will never go to war with the federal government.  So the language that already exists is your best bet.  Now, several years back they passed the TN Firearms Freedom Act.   It protects TN manufactured objects from local prosecution.  But make a machine gun tomorrow and see how much that FFA actually does to protect you.   These are feel good laws that don't actually accomplish anything. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

The state will never go to war with the federal government.  So the language that already exists is your best bet.  Now, several years back they passed the TN Firearms Freedom Act.   It protects TN manufactured objects from local prosecution.  But make a machine gun tomorrow and see how much that FFA actually does to protect you.   These are feel good laws that don't actually accomplish anything. 

It's already a war. Just not a gunfight. The federal government only has so many resources. And, forcing tens of millions of people to do anything is a tall order, most likely way more than they can tackle. This is going to be interesting to watch.

• Like 1