Grandpa's Colt 1903 Refurbed

19_A_CPT

Papa61,  please consult an expert in older firearms before you pull the trigger on refinishing.  If you just want pretty, that’s one thing.  If you’re concerned about value, that’s another.  As the old saying goes, “Its only original once”.  That’s what collectors of old firearms are all about.   

• Like 1

Worth is irrelevant in this instance. It could be worth $1000 untouched or $100 in the condition I have put it in. Makes no nevermind to me. It's not leaving my possession until my son or grandkids come of age. 

• Thanks 1
On 4/12/2021 at 10:01 PM, 19_A_CPT said:

Worth is irrelevant in this instance. It could be worth $1000 untouched or $100 in the condition I have put it in. Makes no nevermind to me. It's not leaving my possession until my son or grandkids come of age. 

Couldn't agree more, especially with a family heirloom.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Many years ago a citizen came in for repairs with an authentic Confederate 36 caliber revolver. When he picked up the gun he had the original holster. The gun was a family piece.

He shared that he was to have this handgun chrome plated. The point was that it would ruin the value. The value. in this case, was historical.  The citizen replied that he had no plans to sell the gun. I am of several minds on this issue. With that particular  revolver it was, an atrocity.

I had several Syracuse Lefever sxs shotguns refurbished. Those guns had zero finish remaining. The Lefever family was still in business refurbishing shotguns.  Point being is that it all has to do with what's going on.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 7/25/2021 at 7:27 AM, Mowgli Terry said:

Many years ago a citizen came in for repairs with an authentic Confederate 36 caliber revolver. When he picked up the gun he had the original holster. The gun was a family piece.

He shared that he was to have this handgun chrome plated. The point was that it would ruin the value. The value. in this case, was historical.  The citizen replied that he had no plans to sell the gun. I am of several minds on this issue. With that particular  revolver it was, an atrocity.

I had several Syracuse Lefever sxs shotguns refurbished. Those guns had zero finish remaining. The Lefever family was still in business refurbishing shotguns.  Point being is that it all has to do with what's going on.

Oh my gosh..........when I read this I almost cried.  Please tell me that you were able to talk him out of chrome plating this rare relic.  "Atrocity" is the right word for this action.  How could anyone do that to an actual revolver carried by a confederate soldier.  They are so rare.  Can you tell us if it was a Colt Navy .36 or even more rare something made in the south like a Spiller & Burr??

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

When the OP originally posted this, I was well aware of how badly he had dropped the value on the gun. However, its a family heirloom, he's not planning to sell and he's happy with it. So I didn't say anything. 

I have several classic old guns in my collection that have been refinished. The truth is that I wouldn't have been able to afford them if they hadn't been.  😉

• 4 months later...

Neat seeing another 1903 here, although mine's a Pocket Hammer (38 acp), made in 1906. Just inherited it from my dad last year and I'm pretty sure it's been in the family since it was first sold. It's staying in the family, but it's also staying original.

signal-2021-08-18-153135_005.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, j2a said:

Neat seeing another 1903 here, although mine's a Pocket Hammer (38 acp), made in 1906. Just inherited it from my dad last year and I'm pretty sure it's been in the family since it was first sold. It's staying in the family, but it's also staying original.

signal-2021-08-18-153135_005.jpeg

Oh my, I love that.  Glad you are keeping it original

• Thanks 1
  • 10 months later...