Woodscrews

Totes random......

Do these things no longer exist? I'm trying like hell to find a single screw. #6x1" oval head woodscrew in steel. Not brass, not bronze, not stainless... just plain damn steel. 

I've tried everywhere & it seems like I can either buy 5000, or I can pay $12 + shipping for one. 

What. The actual. Hell?!

If anyone has some lying around, I'd be glad as heck for one. I'm doing a custom rifle build & need one final screw for my grip cap. Winchester are asking $12.39.......

A5D5_1_20141212107143454.jpg

Its an odd size/material request.  Not many common applications for plain screws, especially a  #6x1.  Since it's for a gun, you might try looking it up on Numrich or one of the other surplus gun parts sites, Liberty Tree, etc.

13 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

Its an odd size/material request.  Not many common applications for plain screws, especially a  #6x1.  Since it's for a gun, you might try looking it up on Numrich or one of the other surplus gun parts sites, Liberty Tree, etc.

Been all over there, done literally all of that. 

Nearest I can get is Track of the Wolf & the longest they carry is 5/8.

What you need is Hillman part number 6105:

https://hillmangroup.com/us/en/Fastening-Solutions/Fasteners/Screws/Wood-Screws/Zinc-Oval-Head-Slotted-Wood-Screws/p/6105

None of the usual suspects carry the Fas-Pak (quantity 22) in stock, but might be able to special order it for you.

I found one online source, but minimum shipping I believe is $8.95:

https://www.jmac.com/The_Hillman_Group_6105_p/HILLMAN-6105.htm

Just my $0.02, sounds like you have spent a LOT of time trying to find the screw, what could you have done with this spent time working on other things. My time is very valuable to me and my family, stop spending time trying to save a few dollars when you can spend the time with your family.

After all you have found the screw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, RED333 said:

Just my $0.02, sounds like you have spent a LOT of time trying to find the screw, what could you have done with this spent time working on other things. My time is very valuable to me and my family, stop spending time trying to save a few dollars when you can spend the time with your family.

After all you have found the screw.

I don't have family. I have work & I have this. 

I already put in 15 hours a day at work......

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Beltfed said:

My father-in-law was a master cabinet maker.  I have coffee cans full of carbon steel wood screws.  I will look through them and see if I can find what you seek.

Thank you! I really appreciate it. 

48 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I found close in an old harbor freight assortment I had sitting around.  It's only 3/4" though.

We're going to need to see show and tell when you're done.

Thanks Mac, it really needs to be an inch or inch and a quarter. 

Don't worry, you'll see it. My sling swivels arrive today & other than this screw, that's the final thing. 

• Like 1

Finally remembered to look through my screw collection when I was in the shop this afternoon but came up close but no cigar. Had a nice nickel plated, right head, slot and length but #10. Even looked through the misc drawer. Sorry