Covid Vaccine at Memphis VA

Links2k

1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

Don't you still have to be one of the special people or over age 70? 

I don’t know about all of that. I got the number from a fellow veteran. I called and got an appointment. Then I shared the number here to be helpful. I don’t know anything about being special. 

The VA gets their own supply. Meanwhile the folks at the fairgrounds say they have lots of open appointments. 

Edited by Links2k

The fairgrounds was initially a mess. They had people without appointments jamming up the car line causing people with appointments to be late. 

There should be a new site opening in Germantown in the next few days. They opened  a new place in Whitehaven this week. 

Edited by Links2k

Just an update. I got my first covid vaccine today.  The VA had an outstanding distribution plan.  They had vehicles enter on the west bed tower side. Identification was checked at three spots in the parking lot, then you proceed into the new parking structure where you’re told what to expect after the vaccine and given another appointment in 21 days to receive the second dose of vaccine.
Inside the parking structure they had several socially distanced lanes to issue the vaccine. After receiving the vaccine they require you to wait 15 minutes before leaving.  They place a piece of paper on your windshield with your exit time.  You exit the parking structure and pull into a staging area where a gentleman checks your time, removes the paperwork from your windshield and you’re done.  The entire process took about 20-25 minutes. So far I’ve only had a little tenderness at the injection location which is to be expected with any vaccine. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Links2k said:

Just an update. I got my first covid vaccine today.  The VA had an outstanding distribution plan.  They had vehicles enter on the west bed tower side. Identification was checked at three spots in the parking lot, then you proceed into the new parking structure where you’re told what to expect after the vaccine and given another appointment in 21 days to receive the second dose of vaccine.
Inside the parking structure they had several socially distanced lanes to issue the vaccine. After receiving the vaccine they require you to wait 15 minutes before leaving.  They place a piece of paper on your windshield with your exit time.  You exit the parking structure and pull into a staging area where a gentleman checks your time, removes the paperwork from your windshield and you’re done.  The entire process took about 20-25 minutes. So far I’ve only had a little tenderness at the injection location which is to be expected with any vaccine. 

Which one are they giving?

• 2 months later...

I hope it's okay to put this in this topic, as a new member and veteran who's also active in the local AMVETS I just thought it might be a good place to get the word out. If not I apologize in advance.

Calling all veterans to become a part of our local AMVETS Post 62. This post was recently established by a Navy veteran at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital who has since retired and moved out of area. There are members manning the posts and are eagerly seeking new local veterans to join this excellent organization to build a vibrant Memphis area post that can support local veterans and the community.

AMVETS, is the largest and oldest veterans service organization that is open to and fights for all veterans. Membership in AMVETS is open to anyone who is currently serving, or who has honorably served, in the U.S. Armed Forces from World War II to the present, to include the National Guard and Reserves.

Veterans families are also eligible and encouraged to play vital roles in the local post with AMVETS Ladies Auxillary & Sons of AMVETS. Participation is voluntary and can be simply attending a monthly meeting or giving any time available to any of the activities throughout the year, it's up to you.

We need more members to help maintain and build our local Post 62, please contact: Lee A Buchschacher Commander, AMVETS Post 62 (901) 230-3870 leeb1369@gmail.com

For frequently asked questions about membership see: https://amvets.org/FAQ/