3 killed after fight over shoveling snow

I'm not sure if anyone caught this headline earlier this week but there is now a video out that shows what happened. I will warn you it is very disturbing. 

John explains it all in the video. This is a great lesson on the importance of not being a jerk and knowing when to de-escalate. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id9pd8zfQcs&bpctr=1612638414

Edited by Erik88
1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Wtf man. 

45 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

Absolutely nuts! 

38 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

That was horrifying. 

I think everyone that has seen it agrees. I've never seen a coup de grâce in real life before... I don't understand why they didn't react when he first started shooting. I can hear a few shots in the video and it appears they all missed and the married couple didn't even react. 

Edited by Erik88
44 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I think everyone that has seen it agrees. I've never seen a coup de grâce in real life before... I don't understand why they didn't react when he first started shooting. I can hear a few shots in the video and it appears they all missed and the married couple didn't even react. 

I thought the same thing. There were several shots before the man got hit and they didn’t react at all. It was very weird. 

• Moderators

The murderer fired the first several shots at the ground or in the air. And they still were hurling insults at him. The woman pulled out her phone and said she had it on camera. 

This had been a long ongoing feud but the fact that the folks just really could not grasp that he was for real and their lives were in danger boggles the mind. 

The couple did not deserve to die like that, but the story is coming out from the neighbors say that they were not innocent players in all of this. You never know who you’re dealing with and you never know when that psycho switch is going to flip. You just can’t go around pushing people because sometimes you find that you end up dead.

ETA: This all relates to some of the recent road rage discussions we’ve had. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, mikegideon said:

The shooter was a decorated navy vet and a registered professional engineer. Not the kind of guy you would expect to just throw his life away...

https://www.lawofficer.com/shooter-in-snow-shoveling-murder-suicide-was-a-decorated-navy-veteran/

Unfortunately everyone has a breaking point.  I suspect he had more than annoying neighbors on his plate. 

• Like 1

Wow! I’ve never had a problem with my neighbors. When I purchased my house the guy next door came over and introduced himself, told me his garage is always open and if I needed to borrow anything to feel free to use and return it.  I never did. It doesn’t feel right just going on someone else’s property and removing their possessions without a conversation.

His actions left a good impression on me so I started doing the same thing each time a new neighbor moved in. I never offered free passage into my garage, but I would offer the use of lawn equipment and tools if they needed anything while getting settled. 

The people in that video obviously had ongoing problems long before that snow day. 

• Like 3
On 2/6/2021 at 6:00 PM, KahrMan said:

I thought the same thing. There were several shots before the man got hit and they didn’t react at all. It was very weird. 

Their brains were in "DVR mode" not in "self preservation mode". That is what happens when you experience something you never thought you'd see or never thought was even possible. You stand there taking in the scenery recording info instead of doing something. As I say in class all the time...the FIRST time you see it should not be when it is for real. You need a page in your mental rolodex for that so if it happens you will have at least considered it in advance and have at least a vague plan to deal with it. 

Novelty will cause hesitation or even disbelief. But if you have seen someone pull a gun and use it  (even if it is an airsoft or sims gun in training) you will be more likely to do something than if the real thing is your first time seeing it in real time. Your brain cannot distinguish between training and reality. It just records info. But if you have already seen this before you are able to recognize this show and do something other than stand there gawking.  

• Like 3
On 2/15/2021 at 2:45 PM, Cruel Hand Luke said:

Their brains were in "DVR mode" not in "self preservation mode". That is what happens when you experience something you never thought you'd see or never thought was even possible. You stand there taking in the scenery recording info instead of doing something. As I say in class all the time...the FIRST time you see it should not be when it is for real. You need a page in your mental rolodex for that so if it happens you will have at least considered it in advance and have at least a vague plan to deal with it. 

Novelty will cause hesitation or even disbelief. But if you have seen someone pull a gun and use it  (even if it is an airsoft or sims gun in training) you will be more likely to do something than if the real thing is your first time seeing it in real time. Your brain cannot distinguish between training and reality. It just records info. But if you have already seen this before you are able to recognize this show and do something other than stand there gawking.  

I agree with this. Also add that people have been de-sensitized to violence. Maybe you thought that he was just bluffing when he pulled the gun, but when he started shooting that should have removed any doubt. Most of the time the bad guy gets the drop on you and you don't have much time to react, these people had plenty of time.

The husband and wife were feeding off of each other’s bravado.  When the husband first walked back to their house the wife went back to shoveling the sidewalk, but then the husband decided to give the neighbor another dose of bravado, which he very well may not have done if his wife wasn’t present, and the wife stopped shoveling and went with him. The husband and wife both felt invincible based upon the other’s actions, or neither wanted to back down in front of the other. The neighbor finally snapped from the demeaning verbal assaults and threats from the husband as the husband was a BIG boy that could dish it out.  The adult equivalent of the meek child that feels all alone against the playground bully that keeps taking his lunch money until he finally snaps and hits the bully in the head with a big rock. 

• Like 1

And that is why we don't act like jackasses to other people in public because #1 it is not cool, #2 it does nothing constructive and #3 you never know exactly where someone is mentally and you could end up being the straw that breaks the camel's back and #4 you never know who is primed and capable of delivering a biblical level of retribution.

What is it Spaide said as he shot Mrs Goy  in the head? "You should've kept your f&^%ing mouth shut!" Seems pretty clear what the motivation was.....

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1