Don't miss out on the hi-cap mags

Just a heads up and most should know this, but Palmetto state armory has Magpul P-mags for $12.30 and free shipping if you buy 5+. I don't want to hear anyone saying in 6 months or 6 years that nobody alerted them to this fact. You can also buy aluminum mags for $11.99. Simple if you snooze you lose.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I hear ya. . I know this is a subjective question, but how many is "enough".  I would be curious to hear what everybody else says on long guns. I have 2 AR's and 30 30 round magazines for the 2. I just got an AK and got a total of 15 30 round magazines for it. 

Just curious to what everyone thinks is "enough".

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, turkeydad said:

I hear ya. . I know this is a subjective question, but how many is "enough".  I would be curious to hear what everybody else says on long guns. I have 2 AR's and 30 30 round magazines for the 2. I just got an AK and got a total of 15 30 round magazines for it. 

Just curious to what everyone thinks is "enough".

enough = your current qty + 10

I see them sell on here and other forums for roughly what I pay for them (even in 2019) if I catch a deal, with that in mind they are pretty stable and worst case scenario they are worth a whole lot more if something goes awry.  I can recall people paying $30 for PMAGs after Sandyhook.  If they are ~$10 each I will pick em up.

• Thanks 1
  • Moderators
16 hours ago, Daniel said:

I have about a hundred metal magazines.  I also have spent a long time in the military though.

Some folks think I’m crazy for preferring GI mags over all others. I bought P-mags to flip when the time is right. My GI mags stay with me. 

2 hours ago, Major Kong said:

Another thought- after the last panic I invested in some spare magpul followers and springs to keep my existing mags running that much longer (hope I never need them).

This is a smart move.

I had a bunch of old GI mags that I refurbished in the early part of the Clinton Era ban. I learned to keep extra springs and followers on hand.

I've even read recently some Civilian Glock Armorer's complaining that Glock is no longer taking parts orders from them due to the current shortage. I can't attest to the validity of this, but wouldn't be surprised.

I've been keeping a box of Glock parts (multiple internals) on hand for a long time now.

Lord knows where this'll all go...

• Like 1
On 2/9/2021 at 4:36 PM, Major Kong said:

Another thought- after the last panic I invested in some spare magpul followers and springs to keep my existing mags running that much longer (hope I never need them).

Good suggestion. Anyone have a good lead on these parts?

• Moderators

If you’re running pmags, just buy more lots more pmags now while they are still cheap. If you’re running USGI mags, do the same. If you’re running another brand of AR mag, buy a bunch of pmags or USGI mags while they are still cheap. A new mag is always a superior option to a rebuilt mag. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators

Not to belabor the point too much, but bear with me. In 1997 if you only had 10 mags and a preban mag was $100+, then rebuilding magazines was a reasonable option. 

In 2020 when you can buy single magazines for as little as $10-12, or have 100 magazine cases drop shipped to your house for $8-900, there’s no reason to spend the same amount on rebuild kits. Don’t overthink it, just buy more mags. 

This is mostly focused on AR mags, but Glock mags are cheap and readily available right now as well. Most damage that renders a magazine unusable is to the body itself. It isn’t the follower or spring wearing out. It’s the body cracking, denting, or feed lips deforming in some way. Buy more mags. If you have guns with expensive mags, buy one or two as you can. If they’re out of stock, set up alerts with the various retail sites. (Gunmagwarehouse.com)

Buy more mags. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 2/16/2021 at 8:47 PM, RED333 said:

I ordered 10 more PMags after you posted this link and they will arrive today. Nice job Natchezss.

The only downside to this is that once you order from them they BLOW your email up with new deals. 

• Like 2

I went the other way. I have plenty of 30 rd mags that are still in the original packaging. I have a few 10 and 20 round mags because I like my guns loaded in the safe and the shorter mags store easier (regular mags are on the safe shelf to grab). I decided it would be a good idea to have a few more 10 round mags just in case. I think I may be right because a lot of 10 round mags were out of stock already, mine should be here next week, had to pick my second choice of manufacturer and color.

• Like 2

How many you need per gun depends on how much you shoot and the manner/type of shooting and what you see the future availability of mags being.  If you talk about shooting more than you do it you don't need many mags.  You will never wear them out and the chance of damage is low if you take empty mags out to put on a bench/table and then reload.  If, however, you are putting a high round count down range and dropping mags on the ground (dirt, mud, concrete, and varied surfaces) during mag changes you will eventually wear mag components out or damage them and will need to replace them.  To many people treat magazines like a pet and can not bring themselves to put them down.  I see this most with military guys who want to continue to run mags they deployed with.  There is nothing wrong with that if they work but once they start compromising reliability they have to go.  Some guys have a hard time with that.  If you see future availability as an issue buy more than you think you need.  Mags are cheap. Buy plenty and replace as needed.

• Like 1