Left Handed AR Build

Snaveba

So I am planning an AR build. Not too fancy, but I shoot left handed. I would rather not have hot brass flying across in front of my face.
I see that Stag Arms sells a left hand eject receiver. Are there other companies make left hand eject receivers? Does that have to be mated with a left handed lower or will it work with any lower?  I assume barrels and other parts will work with any receiver. 

I seek the wisdom of the TGO. 

I’m interested as I also am a lefty.  Back in the day in basic training with a M-14, I did many push-ups when a hot piece of brass went inside my tee shirt on a hot firing line.  The drill instructor questioned my mother’s logic for letting me live.  Little did he know that she was also left handed.

I’m a lefty, but don’t see the logic in a left handed AR. They would be harder to sell and more expensive to build. I’ve yet to have a brass problem with them. An ambi safety is handy however.

I am glad to see left handed components available for those who want them.

• Like 2

I built a leftie AR years ago. It was in fact more expensive to do so, and I also imagine parting with it would be more difficult. It is also a side charger which didn't help the cost either. I included pictures of both the rightie and the leftie that I built. They are virtually twins with only minor variations where required.

The upper receiver is a leftie variant. You'll also need a leftie bolt variant to go with that. Beyond that, pieces and parts were the same as a rightie. I did splurge on some optional ambi parts such as the selector switch where I felt it made sense to do so. Many of the ambi parts options where a little dubious in nature so I skipped those but to each their own.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to provide any answer I can remember.

20171204_203602.jpg

22770654_10210210072629347_3288940894425068660_o.jpg

• Like 2

I am right handed but shoot left.  I never thought about it until the DI chewed me out for not raising my hand when he asked for lefties.  The M-16s then needed a brass deflector, so brass wouldn't end up on your arm, which it did, still have light scars from getting 38/40 (double feed) in my quals.  Still don't do anything special, and never had any issues.  I tried using lefty rifles, but they feel strange to me, probably because I'm not a lefty, so I use my right hand to charge the weapon.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, johnwilliams5721 said:

I built a leftie AR years ago. It was in fact more expensive to do so, and I also imagine parting with it would be more difficult. It is also a side charger which didn't help the cost either. I included pictures of both the rightie and the leftie that I built. They are virtually twins with only minor variations where required.

The upper receiver is a leftie variant. You'll also need a leftie bolt variant to go with that. Beyond that, pieces and parts were the same as a rightie. I did splurge on some optional ambi parts such as the selector switch where I felt it made sense to do so. Many of the ambi parts options where a little dubious in nature so I skipped those but to each their own.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to provide any answer I can remember.

20171204_203602.jpg

22770654_10210210072629347_3288940894425068660_o.jpg

One for each hand...I like it!

• Like 2

As a lefty with long guns I've used them so long I no longer even want one. The brass deflectors on stock ar15s typically do their job. I don't believe the lower should be any different. The upper receiver along with bcg will be the difference. 

Own two lefty Stag Arms. One, the 6L is the most accurate rifle I ever owned. With the right ammo it is capable of .25 MOA. Shooting a right handed rifle is not worth it to me if its also made as a lefty. I want nothing to do with the ejection port opening up directly towards my eyes and face.  I try to keep everything in my favor when it comes to safety including wearing glasses.