I found this very interesting

This video mirrors exactly what I have found as well. I have used all three with no changes in velocity. But recently I found that a M&P .40 pro series had light strikes with small rifle, luckily I only loaded 20 so no big loss. As the video stated the only difference between the 3 is cup hardness, so no need to reduce a charge.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Raoul said:

It's not like any primers are available anyway

Correct sir, I believe this is a speculation to the fact that IF they were available then you may try them. I just read the other day that the ammo mfgs. said that primers are only sold when they have more than they need to make completed ammo. So as I have long thought, we are at the very bottom of the food chain as far as components. They make more profit on completed ammo sold to everyone versus components to the few that reload.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My experience:

Magnum primers in std cartridges will lead to lather group sizes

Std primers in Magnum loads will lead to poor ignition and larger group sizes

Rifle primers in Pistol loads will lead to some/many/most rounds not going bang on first strike due to light firing pin impact.

YMMV

• 4 months later...

SCCY: These little guns, in my recent experience, will not run on magnum primers. I have heard that a local reloading company has used small rifle primers in their cartridges. I'm very skeptical about that story. I'm sure some people will report no problem. That's fine. However, I do not like pulling bullets.

On 7/6/2021 at 3:48 PM, Quavodus said:

I've not tried Magnum primers or rifle primes in my SCCY CPX2. At least not yet. I might give it a try.

You were fairly warned. Have bullet puller on hand. My SCCY was just back from an factory update.

2 hours ago, Quavodus said:

Was it because the primer cups might be a little to hard or what?

That's the problem. Functionally, it was a light strike on the hard primer.😳 I really like the guns. SCCY's are ammo sensitive. I was using CCI small pistol magnum primers. Perhaps, there would be a better outcome with another brand primers with softer cups. I suggest a limited experiment.

Edited by Mowgli Terry
  • 2 weeks later...

I plan to use the SCCY for a carry gun. The little gun runs very well on CCI small pistol primers. However, there are "light strikes" with CCI small pistol magnum primers. The gun has not been problematic with conventionally loaded cartridges. I do not own another 9mm to experiment.  I shoot many, many rounds of 38 Special  in S&W revolvers loaded with small pistol magnum primers with zero problems. I will not carry the SCCY until this madness settles down and we have a normal selection of components.  People have been paying more for 9mm factory rounds per box than I paid for the SCCY. It's a nutball world right now.

• Like 1