Utah moves to Constitutional Carry

Governor Spencer Cox (R), will sign legislation this week to eliminate the permit requirement currently in place for carrying a concealed weapon. The act will permit any law-abiding person over the age of 21 to carry a concealed firearm while in the State of Utah.

It's good to read that several states are moving to Constitutional Carry, including Utah.  But I wonder if those states will still issue permits. The way politics ebbs and flows, I think my preference would be to continue to hold my permit, whether or not it's required. I can foresee a day when the pendulum swings back, and those who might not have renewed a permit could be left swinging in the breeze.

• Like 1

I don't think any state has rescinded constitutional carry, but most, if not all, that do have it have a permit process for reciprocity with other states.  Reciprocity is the only reason I would keep my CCP,  just in case I have to go out of state for any reason.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Wasn't Utah's permit reciprocity restrictive as in they didn't accept TN's permit? If so this is huge.

You must be thinking of another state. We can carry in UT and all western states except for the left coast. ND and NE require the enhanced permit though. 

I moved here from Washington, which has interesting carry laws. Washington's a "shall-issue" state, but open-carry is legal without a permit. Of course one must be legally able to possess a firearm for open carry. I regularly carried a holstered revolver when walking through the woods without bothering to carry ID, and kind of miss that ability here.

Unfortunately, WA doesn't recognize our TN permits because TN allows some 18-year-olds to obtain one. I'm well beyond that age, but I believe that allowance is for active duty military or veterans.

Edited by Darrell
  • 3 weeks later...