Remember this? Redux.....

I started a thread ages ago about a guy wanting me to take his rifle to the range to zero for him.....

PSfO7Vu.jpg

nA4VzXY.jpg

qe6aZrk.jpg

Well, long story short, I ended up with it because I had an idea & apparently i'm an idiot with far too much time on my hands. 

ER Shaw, trued the action & installed a new 20" barrel. I had them copy the factory profile & chamber it in my favorite 6.5x55 Swede. 

The barreled action & all metal parts were then sent to GTs Customizing in Casper WY for polishing, bluing & color case hardening. 

I tackled the Ebay stock. Removed years worth of grime & spar varnish, hand sanded and polished it then applied the hand rubbed oil finish & installed a recoil pad. Then I shipped it to Ahlman's in Minnesota for hand checkering.

I finally got a damned grip cap screw & put it all together today! 

3 hours ago, xtriggerman said:

From the looks of the safety, isn't that a Sears M70?

Yessir, good eye! Sears Model 52.

I considered changing it the safety for a winchester, since there are no markings on the action, but I figured it made it just different enough that folks might question it. 

That's a damn good catch, XT!

Edited by Handsome Rob
  • Like 2

So is that an FN Mauser action or a Sako? Model 70 Winchester?

Of course the stock is beautiful, but I think the color case hardened bottom metal and the cross bolt really add class.

The Supergrade stock swivels are a nice touch as well.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, mike_f said:

The gun gods are smiling down upon you for that restoration.

That original trigger guard/rear action "bolt" photo will be the source of nightmares for the rest of my days...

We should open a "Bubba" museum. That rifle would have surely been worthy of it's own display.

Looks awesome now, though.

• Like 3