Royal Range USA - Defensive Revolver Course (review)

Took the Defensive Revolver course at Royal Range USA last night. There's no way I could keep it to myself. Shane Kerwin was the instructor. I can't say enough about the course of instruction or follow-up training material. First off the range, classroom, retail shop and facilities are amazing. Well done and laid out nicely for both men and woman. Second, even though I was the only shooter in a twelve man class, it still took place. I was very, very surprised. Shocked is a better word for it. I expected it to be canceled as wheel gunners are few and far between these days and it's hard to squad up two or three much less twelve. Either way, I got a notice the event was on and I was there promptly at 3:45 eagerly waiting instruction.... and that's what I got. Shane has a fantastic military back ground... way too much to mention here, but that's not as important as his delivery method or methodical approach. I've primarily shot IDPA, so I've got a few 'less then tactical' ways to draw and reload. These mostly center around my "work space." Shane as all over it in a way that was more informational and informative then "Thou Shall Not" doctrine. Once I heard the reasons and logic, I instantly was converted to the method. That is to say, everything we covered made sense... there was no ego or authoritarianism in the room, only and expert and a novice with much to learn. Great class will take many more in the future! 

20210212_105627.jpg

20210212_105635.jpg

• Like 7

I HATE that you asked, you know how we don't like to talk about our wheels around here. 🙂 But since you DID ask.... I'm 80/20 for EDC. I'm 20% (mostly winter) Smith M21 44spl 4inch with two pouches, or the Smith M642 with two strips the rest of the time. For the class I used the 21 for obvious reasons. 

On the training side, still dry firing every day using the techniques from the class. I've got the revolver much higher in my line of sight on reloads. My draw has more purpose with less motion. And mechanically my "new" comp I speedloaders (compared to using my old comp IIIs on the K frame) are finally deploying with some speed. Still lots to work on and lots to try and engrain in the subconscious. 

20210214_091337.jpg

• Like 2

I took a medical class with Shane Kerwin and I agree. He is a top notch instructor and just all around great guy. I'll continue to schedule his classes. Bob Allen is great as well--he is the director of training at Royal Range. Went to his active shooter training. 

• Like 3
On 2/18/2021 at 7:15 AM, jlw said:

Please elaborate on having the revolver higher in your line of sight for reloads.  What were you doing previously, and what are you doing now?

For sure!

First off, I switch hands and hold the gun in my left hand to reload so have that in your mind. After ejection, I would turn the gun up and tuck the it at my waist with the butt of the revolver at my navel, bend a little at the waist and looking down at the gun. VERY Jerry Miculek style. Now after ejecting the spent brass I hold the gun with the butt at sternum level this time out in front of my chest about 3 to 5 inches. So the gun is higher in my line of sight and I'm not looking down at it when I load it, I'm looking across the horizon. 

• Like 1
On 2/22/2021 at 7:29 PM, JimHouchin said:

For sure!

First off, I switch hands and hold the gun in my left hand to reload so have that in your mind. After ejection, I would turn the gun up and tuck the it at my waist with the butt of the revolver at my navel, bend a little at the waist and looking down at the gun. VERY Jerry Miculek style. Now after ejecting the spent brass I hold the gun with the butt at sternum level this time out in front of my chest about 3 to 5 inches. So the gun is higher in my line of sight and I'm not looking down at it when I load it, I'm looking across the horizon. 

Thanks for the explanation.

• 3 months later...