Nashville get your bread & milk! SNOW!!!!!

mike_f

Metro Nashville just sent this out:

"A critical alert has been issued for Nashville Davidson County.

Temperatures in Davidson County are expected to drop to dangerously frigid levels over the weekend. Freezing drizzle, rain, sleet, and frigid temperatures forecasted. It is important to take precautions during this time. Click on link for important safety information. https://www.nashville.gov/News-Media/News-Article/ID/10610/Nashville-Fire-Department-and-Office-of-Emergency-Management-Urge-Caution-during-Weekend-Winter-Weather.aspx.. "

The Weather channel currently has the snow forecast as starting about 7PM tomorrow, predicts 5-8 inches of accumulation for Monday during the day and another 1-3 inches for Monday night.  Seems like the last few "snowmageddon" predictions haven't panned out.  But just the threat of snow will probably make the grocery stores look like they've looted.

Memphis area forecasting anywhere from 5-9" of snow and probably ice/freezing rain before that gets here.  All this starts Sunday night and continues until Tuesday. Calling for snow  all day Monday.  TV weather says be ready for anything. 😟

I don't do well with cold anymore. Back when I was working, the worse the weather got, the more likely I'd have to go out in it. Thank God for retirement! 🙏

I'm hunkered down, got plenty of supplies. Generator if the power goes out. Ain't been much of anywhere for about a year now, why should this worry me? 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Memphis area forecasting anywhere from 5-9" of snow and probably ice/freezing rain before that gets here.  All this starts Sunday night and continues until Tuesday. Calling for snow  all day Monday.  TV weather says be ready for anything. 😟

I don't do well with cold anymore. Back when I was working, the worse the weather got, the more likely I'd have to go out in it. Thank God for retirement! 🙏

I'm hunkered down, got plenty of supplies. Generator if the power goes out. Ain't been much of anywhere for about a year now, why should this worry me? 

only 2-4" forecast here, but that's enough or the freezing rain would do it. I'm not retired yet but still working from home so I'm good. last freezing rain we had I wound up on my butt on the side of I24 when I stopped to clear ice from the windshield. 3 ft of the shoulder was clear as were the traffic lanes but I just HAD to go to the passenger side. went back home that day.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I still believe Kroger's pay them to "scare" people into buying all the bread and milk. I used to live in western PA, when I moved here 27yrs ago I'll never forget the first time it snowed here and we had a pretty good ice storm, well I drove to four different stores just to get a few things and two were closed and the others were out of everything. How many loaves of bread and gallons of milk does one person need, it usually only lasts a couple of days and everything is back to normal.

• Like 1

I've checked the Weather Chanel forecast for Monday a few times since I originally posted at about 2:30PM today (5 to 8 inches snow accumulation).

At about 6:00PM today the Monday forecast for Nashville said 3 to 5 inches.

At about 8:30PM it was back to 5 to 8 inches.

Just a minute ago at 10:30PM it was back to 3 to 5 inches.

I'm sure there's a Valentine's Day joke in there somewhere.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, krunchnik said:

I still have no idea how they can predict freezing rain-it's not supposed to get over 20°-up North we would have called it a snow event-after all what is snow but already frozen rain-

It ain't gonna freezing rain at 10°

You get freezing rain when warmer air is located on top of a layer of colder.  What starts out as rain above freezes as it hits the lower, colder air or surfaces.  Therefore, while unlikely, freezing rain is possible even when the surface temps are well below freezing ...

There's a saying for weather here in TN, "if you don't like the weather now, just wait 5 minutes and it will change."  Good luck to you folks  in the path of the storm(s). 

Watching the weather channel now, and they are calling the 2 or 3 storms moving across the nation "Historic Winter Invasion", the WC has turned into a drama queen for ratings.  LOL.

2 hours ago, No_0ne said:

All of them, apparently ...

No...I left 2 of each on the shelf for others. LOL!

I thought I'd make a gas run early this morning, and I usually use the Kroger fuel station; it's 1.3 miles from me.

Anyway, at 8:30 or so this morning, there were parking spaces up front. So I just went in and did a short run on bananas and apples, bread and milk of course, and my wife's Snapple Diet Mango Tea.

In and out pretty quickly, and I think we are set for a few days. 

I did our shopping Thursday, got all we need. Saturday morning to the food bank. I want 3 boxes to feed my family. The lady talks me into 4 boxes, fine I can share with a neighbor. I drive to where the boxes are handed out the lady says if you want/need more let them know. Ok, I'll share with another neighbor. Get up in line and tell them I want 5 boxes. One person closes the tailgate on my truck while another person comes to my window. You have 10 boxes, be safe, share, god loves you. I brought 1 box into the house to see what was free. 5 lbs russet potatoes, 3 lbs of apples, 2 packs of singles cheese, four 6 oz containers of Yoplait strawberry yogurt, about 3 lbs of loose sweet potatoes is what I kept. Back to the other 9 boxes for another bag of russets and all the Yoplait yogurt. I got 14, some boxes had another brand. 2% milk we don't care for. My 3 kids took a gallon wished they had space for another. I have 3 gallons in my fridge with March 3 dates for them. They each take a box except for the precooked chicken. Youngest son has a family of 5. He took 3 bags of russets, 4 bags of apples, double the sweet potatoes, cheese and yogurt.

I get back home and carry the rest to the neighbor. 1 complete box plus 5 of what we don't want. A knock on the door and I step away. I tell her that, check the other boxes of what you may want. She has a friend that will get the rest.