P365 vs Hellcat

DrCoxx122

I’ve seen a lot of static on here about the Hellcat and it being a ripoff of the P365, that the original P365 had issues off the line, etc etc but I don’t get a clear idea of which everyone here prefers and why. I’m in the market and am curious about your opinions. I’m leaning more toward the SIG, more so because of what SA did in the gun lobby in my home state, but also because of that the P365 has had more time to work out the kinks than the Hellcat. 

Thoughts?

I carry the P365 and my buddy has the Hellcat. Both are excellent guns and very reliable. My main reason for choosing the Sig was the availability of a manual safety. I won't carry a gun without one which is purely a personal choice and not a comment on the pros and cons. 

• Like 1

Sig did have some early problems with the P365, compounded by the fact that at first they tried to pretend there were no problems.  But I believe they're all straightened out now, and the P365 is now my top choice when I can't carry a larger gun.

Plenty of gun manufacturers have problems with the first-year run of new models.  This includes Springfield (see the XDS.) 

Cheers,

Whisper

I have had my Hellcat for over a year now, it replaced a G19 for EDC.

I originally intended to buy the P365 but wanted to compare both. Either one is a solid option but definitely check both out. I went with the Hellcat for a couple of very minor details - I liked the sights better, and the mag release position. 

On the P365, the mag release was in an awkward position for me. 

The Hellcat is a bit snappy depending on ammo but very controllable. Not really any different than shooting a G43 or Shield IMO.

Reliability wise - I believe I had one fail to feed in the first 100 rounds and never another problem. That's across multiple bullet profiles and multiple magazines. 

Edited by TNMTBik3r
22 minutes ago, TNMTBik3r said:

I have had my Hellcat for over a year now, it replaced a G19 for EDC.

I originally intended to buy the P365 but wanted to compare both. Either one is a solid option but definitely check both out. I went with the Hellcat for a couple of very minor details - I liked the sights better, and the mag release position. 

On the P365, the mag release was in an awkward position for me. 

The Hellcat is a bit snappy depending on ammo but very controllable. Not really any different than shooting a G43 or Shield IMO.

Reliability wise - I believe I had one fail to feed in the first 100 rounds and never another problem. That's across multiple bullet profiles and multiple magazines. 

I'm an HK guy so finger position for the mag on some other guns are hard to reach. I love the HK mag release concepts.
On the P365, you can reverse the safety to the other side because it's just that much easier, for me a least. I hit it with my right index finger, (like my HK mag release), and the new mag is already there to get swapped out.
Getting arthritis in my hands, having options is a good thing.

I've had a Hellcat for a bit over a year, and bought it with the intention to replace my Shield 2.0 for EDC. However it hasn't yet replaced the Shield because the grip is a bit too small and there is a minor issue that I need to adjust my grip to fix. The Shield's grip was also too small, but I found a Hogue sleeve made it just right. Hogue recently released grip sleeves for the Hellcat (and the P365) so I will be giving the Hellcat another evaluation.

A buddy has a P365 and I got Hogue sleeves for both of them and did a side-by-side comparison. My trigger finger liked the profile of the 365's smooth and rounded trigger over the Hellcat's bladed safety, but it made no difference in the overall comparison. They are both great guns and neither had any issues over several hundred rounds.

The issue I referred to earlier is that my thumbs-forward grip on the Hellcat interferes with the slide and prevents it from locking back on an empty magazine. Ultimately I'll go with the Hellcat because I already have it and all the accessories. Then again, my buddy has a P365XL on the way, so maybe that will change my mind.

I started with a Shield 9 1.0 as my EDC but loved the P365 from the first time I held it. However the 2extra rounds were not enough to make me switch. Then the p365 XL came out. With the extra 4 rounds and the ability to mount a red dot, I was sold. It is now my EDC with a Holosun 507K. 

I carry it appendix in a Total Concealment Tier 1 holster.  It is very comfortable. I’m not fat but not skinny. 

I did have an issue with difficult racking (Which was a documented problem). I found it to be the disconnector not being shaped correctly. I replaced it with one from a P365 (order from Sig) and it fixed the issue). 

I have not shot a Hellcat. 

I've owned the P365 for a couple of years.  I was impressed with the way it fit my hand, and how it shot like a much larger gun without the snap traditionally associated with subcompact 9mms.

I recently picked up a Hellcat as well.   However, it was not nearly as good IMO.   While the trigger was a bit shorter in travel, the gun grip itself was just that much fatter and the shape of the trigger made it noticeably more unpleasant to shoot than the P365.   In particular, it was not always easy to get the perfect position of the trigger finger on the trigger to depress the safety finger all the way.   The recoil was also sharper, which didn't make much sense given the more massive slide.   I did seem to note that the recoil spring assembly was lighter on the Hellcat than on the P365.

I can say the accuracy and sights were good, and I experienced no reliability with the 7 or 8 mags that I shot through it before my trigger finger was too numb to continue.

However, I couldn't wait to get rid of it and I soon did.

I have had zero issues with my p365. I bought some 15 round magazines to carry as spares and when at the range. It shoots like a bigger gun with the 15 rounders inserted. Haven't tried a Hellcat so I can't comment on it. The Sig rides in my pocket like it's not there and is easy to draw. I also carry an FNS9 comcast IWB quite often.

on other thing to consider is if you are looking to ever add a dot to the pistol the Hellcat offers an OSP model that comes milled for an optic.  

I actually got the 365 XL and swapped out a 365 grip module to retain the concealability while providing the longer/milled slide.  With a holosun 507K it makes a dandy little package.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, FrankD said:

on other thing to consider is if you are looking to ever add a dot to the pistol the Hellcat offers an OSP model that comes milled for an optic.  

I actually got the 365 XL and swapped out a 365 grip module to retain the concealability while providing the longer/milled slide.  With a holosun 507K it makes a dandy little package.

The Holosun 507k is very nice on a p356XL. I don’t have an issue with the slightly longer grip.