Are you prepared for this incoming ice storm?

Dirtshooter

Hi all, hope you have been preparing for at least a day or more. There will probably be power outages, so be prepared. I got the gennie out of the barn and it is sitting on the back porch along with extra fuel and extension cords. Ice melt in case of blowing north wind gets the porch icy. Don't get out unless you have to, we have chickens so I have to keep them in water, but I certainly don't need a broke hip so I try to be careful. Prayers for everyone in the path of this storm.

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

It'll depend on road conditions. Employers are very cautious about sending a fleet of vehicles out on dangerous roads. Shutting down for the day is cheaper than paying for damaged vehicles, injured people and lawsuits. 🙄

the company I work for might park the semi for deliveries but the manufacturing workers better be there...that includes management..

1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

It'll depend on road conditions. Employers are very cautious about sending a fleet of vehicles out on dangerous roads. Shutting down for the day is cheaper than paying for damaged vehicles, injured people and lawsuits. 🙄

It would take a serious storm for Fedex or UPS to shut down, even for a day.  

Boss has left it up to us as to get out or not, us service guys drive service vans, loaded with tools and such they are heavy, good for traction but not stopping. I will get out and look at my drive to make up my mind.

UPS and FedeX refuse to come up my drive if there is any sign of ice or snow on it. UPS delayed 3 days in a row for something I really needed. I finally called and complained and they connected me to the driver that was several miles away and he told me that it was company policy if there was any chance of sliding off the drive and he could be fired or at least chewed out if he slid off a drive. Said if I was ok with it, he would deliver the package after he was finished for the day in his personal truck, and he did. 

I’m as well prepared as can be. I have a Honda 2800 generator on the way. It arrived in Olive Branch about five minutes from my home last night with a Sunday delivery day.  At 11:00am  today I get a notification that it can’t be delivered to my home, but will be available for pickup Tuesday at a FedEx location that’s also five minutes from my home.  Oh well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Moderators
36 minutes ago, Links2k said:

Now that we have several inches of snow on the ground and no cars moving around the neighborhood I think going to put my new toy to use today. I have some great Duluth Trading cold weather gear so I should be pretty comfortable.

A543D514-D6CF-4A4C-B00E-E17B4B6C2D37.thumb.jpeg.be2ae3d97fa593e01379dcfd2ea5d8c9.jpeg

The wife is gonna put you back to work so you quit spending money. 😂😂😂

• Haha 3
9 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

The wife is gonna put you back to work so you quit spending money. 😂😂😂

Those were her exact words.  😂

I’m making up for thirty four years of spending everything on children. I’m having my second childhood. Now I’ve got to get some of those cool items you have.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Links2k said:

Now that we have several inches of snow on the ground and no cars moving around the neighborhood I think going to put my new toy to use today. I have some great Duluth Trading cold weather gear so I should be pretty comfortable.

A543D514-D6CF-4A4C-B00E-E17B4B6C2D37.thumb.jpeg.be2ae3d97fa593e01379dcfd2ea5d8c9.jpeg

Duluth is wonderful for weather like this.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Duluth is wonderful for weather like this.

Yes sir. I’ve worn it for years. If you move too much you will get hot and have to open the side vents. Just got in from my ride.  It’s ten degrees and I didn’t feel anything. 

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Links2k said:

What model is that? I'd love to have something like this. 

6 hours ago, Swamp ash said:

We've got ice cleats

I could have used them ice cleats about 6:30 this morning when I went to feed and water the chickens. The gravel walkway was an icy death trap. I pussy footed it back to get better boots and got the ice melt off of the porch plus my walking stick. I don't need my old bones to take a break a hip fall.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Erik88 said:

What model is that? I'd love to have something like this. 

2021 Kawasaki TeryX LE 800 Yellow. I had to get a sxs. My knees and back couldn’t handle the abuse of an atv. Old man problems. 😂

It also comes in four door for a couple grand more. 

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 1