Are you prepared for this incoming ice storm?

Dirtshooter

On 2/15/2021 at 3:53 PM, Links2k said:

Now that we have several inches of snow on the ground and no cars moving around the neighborhood I think going to put my new toy to use today. I have some great Duluth Trading cold weather gear so I should be pretty comfortable.

A543D514-D6CF-4A4C-B00E-E17B4B6C2D37.thumb.jpeg.be2ae3d97fa593e01379dcfd2ea5d8c9.jpeg

chris pratt dude GIF

Hope the old man joints don't force you to put that up on the Trading Post...that would be a shame. 😁

• Haha 1

Well, I have generator ready to go with extra gas and back up Propane indoor heaters, 2 burner camper stove and gas grill if I need to cook anything and have plenty of food and paper supplies so I guess I am ready as I can get. I have been in touch with Dirt shooter and his power is down due to a large tree across the road from his house. He is doing ok and hoping to have power back on tomorrow. He has plenty of wood and generator running.

• Like 3

I have no back up heat. That bothers me. I have a back up propane stove for cooking and everything else I need. I have thought about purchasing some "big buddie" hunting heaters that will run off propane tanks. Hunters use them in their hunting blinds. I have 2 tanks for gas grills and 2 other larger tanks for our RV. All are full. Does any of you all have these type heaters and would they be sufficient to heat a room safely. They have 2 sizes so I thinking of the larger 2 burner type.  What is your thoughts on these? 

I have natural gas to the back of my house, but just never had a meter put on it, and put it in our house. Actually have not had the need too. I have had a propane 500 gal tank years ago and that gas has gotten very expensive to heat with now. Would not want to go that route ever again. Give me some ideas what your guys are doing for back up heat.  

I heat with a heat pump now. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Moderators
30 minutes ago, pop pop said:

I have no back up heat. That bothers me. I have a back up propane stove for cooking and everything else I need. I have thought about purchasing some "big buddie" hunting heaters that will run off propane tanks. Hunters use them in their hunting blinds. I have 2 tanks for gas grills and 2 other larger tanks for our RV. All are full. Does any of you all have these type heaters and would they be sufficient to heat a room safely. They have 2 sizes so I thinking of the larger 2 burner type.  What is your thoughts on these? 

I have natural gas to the back of my house, but just never had a meter put on it, and put it in our house. Actually have not had the need too. I have had a propane 500 gal tank years ago and that gas has gotten very expensive to heat with now. Would not want to go that route ever again. Give me some ideas what your guys are doing for back up heat.  

I have the big and little buddie heaters. Both work great and will heat a room fairly well depending on size. They do like propane but I never run them wide open. We have natural gas that the heat pump uses plus 2 gas fireplaces that do very well. 

Also have a generator at the house. Boat and motorhome both have generators. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, pop pop said:

Since they don’t have any way to vent, I wouldn’t want to use one indoors for any length of time, but on the other hand, I don’t see how they could be any worse than those old kerosene heaters. I have a generator and bought an infrared heater at Ace Hardware. It said it heated 2000sf. It heated my house great when the central unit went out during Christmas.

Well as Bersaguy said, we are still without power, maybe tomorrow IF this new storm doesn't hinder the repairs. We are camping out in place, the fireplace insert has kept it around 62-64 when outside it was 15. Only downside is no hot water without heating on gas stove. Starting to get cabin fever, anyone want to referee?? Ya'll stay safe, stay off ice, need no broke hips.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

Well as Bersaguy said, we are still without power, maybe tomorrow IF this new storm doesn't hinder the repairs. We are camping out in place, the fireplace insert has kept it around 62-64 when outside it was 15. Only downside is no hot water without heating on gas stove. Starting to get cabin fever, anyone want to referee?? Ya'll stay safe, stay off ice, need no broke hips.

I’d offer to bring you something, but I’m leery about being able to get there. We just got another couple of inches of snow in the last 2 hours.

I was without power for about 7 hours on Monday evening.  I have a fireplace and was able to keep the main room around 60, but wouldn't want to have to do that too often.  I live far enough out that if something really bad happened, I expect I would be one of the last to get service back.  I have been talking about buying a whole house generator for a few years.  That was enough to push me over the edge.  It won't help this time, but in a few weeks that concern will be eased.  They aren't cheap, but the peace of mind will be worth it.  

As a side note, I am becoming a big wimp as I get older.  

• Like 3

After last evenings snow we have 4"  on the ground this morning. Our ####zu, Allie Kate,"  just went out and the snow is deeper than her legs. She got her necessary business done in record time. Didn't like dragging her belly in the snow. It is 29 right now. 

As near as I can tell, we got an additional 1-2 inches overnight here in East Nasty.  Probable depth with the first ice/sleet is close to 7 inches here.

So I have little interest in going out.

Blessed with plenty of food. No power outages, and have internet and cable operational. So wife is happy with Hallmark channels and westerns, and I got the pc to play on.

All is good. Until I run out of fresh milk. Then I'll start to panic.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

I’ve seen a few more reports of child fatalities and near fatal accidents around the state. Be careful y’all. Don’t mix powered vehicles with sleds and take extra caution around formerly liquid bodies of water. 

I also had a friend slip on the ice and break his shoulder and now he will be out of work for 3-4 months. 

I grew up in this (dad was stationed in South Dakota for 8 years) so I’m not telling y’all to be terrified of the snow and ice and stay inside. Go out and make memories with the kids and grandkids! I’m just reminding y’all to take extra time to consider the dangers of the the “hey y’all, watch this” fun. 

Stay safe, y’all. 

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I’ve seen a few more reports of child fatalities and near fatal accidents around the state. Be careful y’all. Don’t mix powered vehicles with sleds and take extra caution around formerly liquid bodies of water. 

I also had a friend slip on the ice and break his shoulder and now he will be out of work for 3-4 months. 

I grew up in this (dad was stationed in South Dakota for 8 years) so I’m not telling y’all to be terrified of the snow and ice and stay inside. Go out and make memories with the kids and grandkids! I’m just reminding y’all to take extra time to consider the dangers of the the “hey y’all, watch this” fun. 

Stay safe, y’all. 

Yep. I'm going hiking tomorrow, but, our part of the state is not really impacted. Newfound Gap in the Smokies doesn't even have snow! I always check the web cam up there and it is quite balmy and wet right now:

https://www.air-resource.net/grsmnfgap/

13 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I’ve seen a few more reports of child fatalities and near fatal accidents around the state. Be careful y’all. Don’t mix powered vehicles with sleds

I think if done with care it can be safe. When I was a kid my dad pulled me behind our Honda ATV in the snow but he went slow. It's a great memory from my childhood. I saw that someone slung their kid into a mailbox and the kid died. That's horrible. 😣

1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I think if done with care it can be safe. When I was a kid my dad pulled me behind our Honda ATV in the snow but he went slow. It's a great memory from my childhood. I saw that someone slung their kid into a mailbox and the kid died. That's horrible. 😣

Agree. I hate it when one accident like this turns into "No one should ever do this again and it should be illegal" talk.   We did a lot of dumb things when I was kid growing up in Illinois where at that time we did get plenty of snow.  99.9% of the time, nothing happens.  That .1% or less is unfortunate, but bad things happen every day.  That's part of life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

Agree. I hate it when one accident like this turns into "No one should ever do this again and it should be illegal" talk.   We did a lot of dumb things when I was kid growing up in Illinois where at that time we did get plenty of snow.  99.9% of the time, nothing happens.  That .1% or less is unfortunate, but bad things happen every day.  That's part of life.

Or just nature's way of cleaning up the gene pool a bit ...

• Like 2

Well, we got an additional 3-4 inches of fresh snow last night but no new ice yet!!! Our lights flickered a couple times yesterday but we never lost power. I hope Dirtshooter gets his power back soon before he needs a referee from cabin fever!!!! Hope everyone stays safe till this all melts over the weekend and then we will hear about all the flooding on the news!! I also am glad I don't live in Texas.