Are you prepared for this incoming ice storm?

Dirtshooter

2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Wow. That's a lot. When was the last time Nashville got that much snow? We haven't seen that much in Knoxville in a very long time. 

Early 2000's I think. My memory isn't so good. But I was caught in Franklin one morning. Just started my sale route when it began. Came fast and heavy. 

The normal 35 minute return to the warehouse office took 5 hours. Every road blocked, I backtracked, circled, and just plain took any path I could find.

All this in a 16 ft box truck. At least I was mostly above all the OTHER idiots on the road.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I think if done with care it can be safe. When I was a kid my dad pulled me behind our Honda ATV in the snow but he went slow. It's a great memory from my childhood. I saw that someone slung their kid into a mailbox and the kid died. That's horrible. 😣

1 hour ago, Hozzie said:

Agree. I hate it when one accident like this turns into "No one should ever do this again and it should be illegal" talk.   We did a lot of dumb things when I was kid growing up in Illinois where at that time we did get plenty of snow.  99.9% of the time, nothing happens.  That .1% or less is unfortunate, but bad things happen every day.  That's part of life.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying anything should be illegal. My point is that there are inherent dangers in certain activities that must be considered. Folks that live in places that deal with this weather regularly have a certain level of cultural knowledge with regards to what’s safe and what isn’t that folks down here may not have due to lack of experience. 

Like ponds. The kids who know not to get in water without an adult (or even can do that safely) during the summer might not understand that a thin layer of ice and snow can obscure where the water really is or what hypothermia is if they get wet. 

It’s easy to chalk up fatal accidents that happen to other folks as nature having her way. I’m just advising extra caution so that it doesn’t become one of us. 

I can't remember this much snow in Tennessee but then my memory sucks too. I wonder how the Nashville Snow Service knew this was coming and to have such a large supply of salt and other chemicals on hand for this kind of storm. Was it just a lucky guess of did someone know something was coming and just got ready for it??

Thanks Greg for the offer, and yes great pic of your place. Electricity update, we got power back on this morning around 9a.m. when I started the gennie on Monday 4:30a.m. it had 2.4 hours on it, I have had it 2 years btw, when I shut it off this morning it had 100.5 hours. We probably on had 5 inches total snow in the 2 storms, maybe 3/8" ice. In 2014 winter we had 14" stacked up in our back yard. I took a 2x2 and screwed it to a 2x8 and put marks on it with marker where I could look out and not have to guess how much snow we had. I have seen plenty of snow in my days and it may be pretty, but it wears off real quick. I ask that everyone that is a praying person, say a prayer for those without power and for all those guys that are working hard in some nasty cold conditions to get it back on line ASAP. As of this morning UCEMC had 3,000 houses in Overton county and 5,000 in Putnam county without power.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1