Are you prepared for this incoming ice storm?

Dirtshooter

22 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

Thanks Greg for the offer, and yes great pic of your place. Electricity update, we got power back on this morning around 9a.m. when I started the gennie on Monday 4:30a.m. it had 2.4 hours on it, I have had it 2 years btw, when I shut it off this morning it had 100.5 hours. We probably on had 5 inches total snow in the 2 storms, maybe 3/8" ice. In 2014 winter we had 14" stacked up in our back yard. I took a 2x2 and screwed it to a 2x8 and put marks on it with marker where I could look out and not have to guess how much snow we had. I have seen plenty of snow in my days and it may be pretty, but it wears off real quick. I ask that everyone that is a praying person, say a prayer for those without power and for all those guys that are working hard in some nasty cold conditions to get it back on line ASAP. As of this morning UCEMC had 3,000 houses in Overton county and 5,000 in Putnam county without power.

After the last ice storm, our electric company decided it was worthwhile to keep the powerline right of ways cleared of trees. I tend to agree with them, as we didn鈥檛 have many outages.

Gregg the line crew that fixed mine yesterday said the 7,200 volt lines are supposed to have a 20 foot on either side of blue sky. The lines from transformer to your house are supposed to be 10 foot on either side of blue sky. There is a cedar limb about 2 foot over my line and main line there are trees withing 3 feet. I will be taking some pictures and meeting with the UCEMC manager after the power is restored and let him know.

• Like 2

I lived through the blizzard of 1951 in Mt Sterling KY. We had 18" of snow with drifts of 36" of snow in some areas. We then got about 1" of sleet on top of the snow and as a small child I could walk on the snow without breaking through.聽聽I don't remember how long the snow stayed on the ground at that time.聽

I have lived here in Mid TN since 68 and can't remember ever having this much snow at one time. My daughter聽got 7" in Eagleville TN, at her horse farm.聽 Talked to her this afternoon and her ground is still completely white and says it is melting but still has a few inches. Most of ours will be gone by dark.聽

I had to go help my daughter, at the farm yesterday, and stopped to get some Diesel Fuel and took a bad fall. I mean I ended up staring at the roof, in about 2 seconds off black ice. Two fine young men came and helped me to get up. I hoped I thanked them because it kinda stunned me. They had聽scraped the drive, but the ice was under the snow and the drive just looked wet, however it聽was a solid sheet of thin ice in a small circle. I happened to bust it dead center and paid the price. Pulled my hamstring in the back of my leg while trying to get up,聽 but didn't break anything. I was very lucky because a 73 Y O has no business out and walking on ice. Am a bit sore today. I will try to do better the next time, L/w.聽聽

All-n-all, its been a good snow and my sweetie and I have enjoyed looking at it through the window, for the most part.聽

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1

Falling on the ice is bad news! Good you didn't get hurt.

What's going on around Memphis right now?聽 I've been expecting an "overnight" package via FedEx since Wed, and the tracking just shows that a delivery date is pending. It looks like the airport is working normally, are the roads okay?

42 minutes ago, pop pop said:

I lived through the blizzard of 1951 in Mt Sterling KY. We had 18" of snow with drifts of 36" of snow in some areas. We then got about 1" of sleet on top of the snow and as a small child I could walk on the snow without breaking through.聽聽I don't remember how long the snow stayed on the ground at that time.聽

I have lived here in Mid TN since 68 and can't remember ever having this much snow at one time. My daughter聽got 7" in Eagleville TN, at her horse farm.聽 Talked to her this afternoon and her ground is still completely white and says it is melting but still has a few inches. Most of ours will be gone by dark.聽

I had to go help my daughter, at the farm yesterday, and stopped to get some Diesel Fuel and took a bad fall. I mean I ended up staring at the roof, in about 2 seconds off black ice. Two fine young men came and helped me to get up. I hoped I thanked them because it kinda stunned me. They had聽scraped the drive, but the ice was under the snow and the drive just looked wet, however it聽was a solid sheet of thin ice in a small circle. I happened to bust it dead center and paid the price. Pulled my hamstring in the back of my leg while trying to get up,聽 but didn't break anything. I was very lucky because a 73 Y O has no business out and walking on ice. Am a bit sore today. I will try to do better the next time, L/w.聽聽

All-n-all, its been a good snow and my sweetie and I have enjoyed looking at it through the window, for the most part.聽

I'm a few years behind you and absolutely and totally agree with you. I've had a few falls in recent years, one of which was viewed by a TGO buddy.聽

I think it scared him. I just lay on my side and laughed.聽 But back on point, you are right. We have no business going out in snow and ice unless it's a necessity.

It's too bad that some of us in our age group don't always follow that advice. Had an Amazon truck stuck on the grade in front of our home this afternoon. So of course I just had to go out and check on him. No I didn't fall. But let me tell you that was the slowest out and back 50 yards I've ever done!

I swear this getting old and losing balance absolutely sucks!

1 hour ago, Darrell said:

Falling on the ice is bad news! Good you didn't get hurt.

What's going on around Memphis right now?聽 I've been expecting an "overnight" package via FedEx since Wed, and the tracking just shows that a delivery date is pending. It looks like the airport is working normally, are the roads okay?

The snow initially slowed things down at the airport. Then there was a complete shutdown because the airport had no water service.聽

4 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

Gregg the line crew that fixed mine yesterday said the 7,200 volt lines are supposed to have a 20 foot on either side of blue sky. The lines from transformer to your house are supposed to be 10 foot on either side of blue sky. There is a cedar limb about 2 foot over my line and main line there are trees withing 3 feet. I will be taking some pictures and meeting with the UCEMC manager after the power is restored and let him know.

The utilities here did that after the big round of spring storms about 5 years ago. They've been much more proactive about keeping the trees cut back off the lines.聽 Can't fix the idiots that crash into poles in the snow, but I think its definitely reduced outages.聽

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Darrell said:

What's going on around Memphis right now?

I'm in Bartlett which is right next door to Memphis. It was in the 40s yesterday and聽got up to 50s today. Currently a light rain.聽 Side streets still have some ice here and there, but most of the main streets are clear. Aside from piles made by clearing聽snow, Most of it is gone.聽

The Memphis airport has been shut down for a couple of days due to water problems. A bunch of water mains froze and busted. This has led to low water pressure and possible contamination. Memphians are under a boil water order until further notice. No idea how long this will last. A couple more days at least. I'm good as Bartlett has their own water system.聽

Edited by Grayfox54
7 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

The Memphis airport has been shut down for a couple of days due to water problems.

I saw that on the news, but the same article said that the FedEx facility was still operating, being different from the passenger terminal.

Good that you're mostly in the clear there. I live about midway between Knoxville and Nashville, and our snow was only a problem for a single day. I hope those in Memphis get clean water back ASAP.

Driving up I-40 through Crab Orchard today. Going聽to Pigeon forge for our 51st wedding anniversary with my Sweetie. Will think of you Darrrell, as we pass through.聽 If you hear someone yelling, from I-40, it will be me!聽 Have a good day guys.聽

15 hours ago, Darrell said:

I saw that on the news, but the same article said that the FedEx facility was still operating, being different from the passenger terminal.

Good that you're mostly in the clear there. I live about midway between Knoxville and Nashville, and our snow was only a problem for a single day. I hope those in Memphis get clean water back ASAP.

My wife is a former coupon addict. We always have plenty, and always share. 聽We didn鈥檛 lose power and always have lots of water and Gatorade on hand. 聽I only left home to ride with my brother to pick up a four wheeler in Meridian, Mississippi last weekend. 聽

Weird weather. Just a couple days ago we had snow, ice and were freezing our butts off.聽 Right now its 60 degrees and I just made a quick trip to the store in my shirt sleeves.聽馃檮

Now the forecast is calling for mild temperatures but rain staring Friday and 40-50% chance of rain everyday for the next week. So I guess we won't freeze, but we just might drown.聽馃ゴ

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

Weird weather. Just a couple days ago we had snow, ice and were freezing our butts off.聽 Right now its 60 degrees and I just made a quick trip to the store in my shirt sleeves.聽馃檮

Now the forecast is calling for mild temperatures but rain staring Friday and 40-50% chance of rain everyday for the next week. So I guess we won't freeze, but we just might drown.聽馃ゴ

Beats power outages, ruptured pipes, and closed schools. 聽

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That storm kicked my butt. I will be dealing with it for a聽few more months too.

The first Satruday I managed to fall. I hit hard enough to render myself unconsious and scare my wife bad enough she called 911. I did not take them up on their generous offer to take me to the hospital but I spent the next few days inside.聽

Then the following saturday when the thaw began some ice damed gutters caused water to run down the inside of an exterior wall until hit hit something horizontal. That horizontal suface was my subfloor so it ran along my subfloor under my oak hardwood floors. I never saw a drop of water and did not know there was a problem until the hardwood started cupping and lifting. Now I get to deal with having the floor replaced, sanded, stained, and sealed while the dog, wife and I spend a week in a hotel somewhere.聽

So far 2021 is sucking worse than 2020聽

• Sad 2

I tried not to go out except to feed the birds on my back deck. I filled the feeders and then scattered some food on the Table in the breakfast nook on the deck for the birds that can't feed on the tube feeders such as Doves and Cardinals and bigger birds. The only real issue I had with ice was about the 3rd day of going out to fill the feeders when I opened the door to go out it was blocked. I had some of the largest Ice Cycles I have ever seen and they had the doorway blocked. It took 4 real hard hits with a claw hammer to break them and then I pushed them off the deck and fed the birds. Has frozen water pipes for about 4 hours and then it began flowing again.DSCF2483.thumb.JPG.276b173752dee920eedcbd291944f43f.JPG

• Like 1