Reloading for the M1 Garand

I have some 155 grain Sierra Palma Match I'd like to load. I've found that 150 and 155 grain bullets call for the same loads. Perusing the internet finds loads from 46-50 grains if IMR 4895.

Oddly, the only reloading manual I have that has a separate section for M1 Garands doesn't show any IMR 4895 loads for 150-155 grain projectiles. It does for 168-175 grain bullets.

A different manual has loads for IMR 4895 and 150-155 grain bullets, but they don't specify they are for a Garand. I assume they would work, however. Wouldn't you think so?

If you have a similar pet load, I'd like to hear what it is.

I just looked at my copy of the NRA's "The M1 Rifle" booklet. I have the 3rd edition published in 1993.

On page 18 it lists some loads that are safe for the M1 rifle. Under "147/150 gr bullets - either FMJ or HBPT" for IMR 4895 it lists a charge of 49.0 gr. It says "In no circumstance should any charge weight be increased". So I guess 49.0 is a max load to work up to.  It also states that if military cases are used to reduce charges by 1.5 gr.

• Like 1
On 2/16/2021 at 6:52 PM, Quavodus said:

I've used 47.0 gr. IMR4895 and have used 48.0 gr. But, 47.0 gr. shoots a little better.  I would think the 155 gr. would be fine with the same charges. I'm not using mine for hunting, so its just a target load.

That's probably about what I'm going to try. I have some 168 grain rounds I loaded when I first got it. I know I wrote down the load, but haven't yet found where I wrote it. I guess I can pull a bullet and weigh it. I know the 168 grain load should have a bit less powder than the 155 grain load.

I may just load a bunch more of the 168 grain bullets. They shot pretty tight groups.

I wish I had a couple more pounds of IMR4895.

Edited by gregintenn
  • 2 weeks later...

So far I have discovered that 48 grains of IMR 4895 behind a 155 grain match bullet and 45 grains of the same powder behind a 168 grain match bullet produce as small a group as I am capable of with iron sights and my aging eyes. I also discovered they both shoot to the same point of impact.

Now if only those ####s would quit buying up all the powder, I’ll be in business as I have an ample supply of brass, primers, projectiles, and en bloc clips.

I wish I’d have bought a Garand years ago. This thing is awesome!

I need to dig out my old 1903 Springfield and see how these loads shoot in it.

Edited by gregintenn
On 3/3/2021 at 12:11 PM, tnhawk said:

I'm still using ammo I got from CMP several years ago.  Saving all my brass knowing at some point I'll need to reload for it.  The M1 is listed in my Hornady manual but not in the Speer.

Same here. When I bought my first rifle from CMP I also got several cases of their greek surplus ammo. Then a couple of years ago stumbled across another case. I only shoot my M1s about once a year, so I'm good for a long time yet. 😉

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Quavodus said:

I need to get my M1 out and shoot it some. It's been awhile since I shot it. I love the ping. 😀

My kids really enjoyed the ‘ping’ of an empty mag. I’m still leery of ramming my thumb down in front of that big spring loaded bolt. I cringe, much like setting a mouse trap.

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

(snip) I’m still leery of ramming my thumb down in front of that big spring loaded bolt. I cringe, much like setting a mouse trap.

Do you load the clip with the side of your hand against the op rod handle?

spacer.png

11 hours ago, gregintenn said:

No sir. I’m severely left handed.😆 I do try to hold the bolt handle while loading.

I am similarly afflicted, so I just trust that thumb pressure and a quick release will protect me. 😀 

• Wow 1