Electric heat pump question

jhc77

4 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I have never lived in a home that had this emergency heat option. We're still house hunting at the moment and I've been wondering if gas heat is always preferred over electric? 

Some of the newer theormostats don't have this option anymore, as many of the current heat pumps pretty much do this switching automatically.  Like everything else, adding some microprocessor capacity to the current generation of heat pumps allow the unit itself to choose how heat is generated, based on many factors to deliver the most efficient output.  In older units, "emergency heat" was an owner option, in severely cold weather you could choose this and shut the compressor off entirely, as opposed to it trying to run even when the strip heaters were doing all the heating.  These "smart units" perform this task on their own, thus no real need for switching it manually ...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I have never lived in a home that had this emergency heat option. We're still house hunting at the moment and I've been wondering if gas heat is always preferred over electric? 

We're right on the edge of where heat pumps work acceptably in the winter.  A well insulated house with good windows  and a relatively new heat pump will be fine during a normal winter. When the polar vortex hits, heat pumps struggle so gas is the way to go. 

All else being equal, I'd choose gas heat.  But newer dual fuel units are worth a thorough look. 

• Like 2

My heat pump does well for the majority of the days but have an LP furnace and 500 gal underground tank for back up when it gets to cold or if the heat pump fails. The tank also powers the demand hot water heater and a fireplace. We normally use around 100 gal of LP a year and do a Summer refill, but nice to have the reserve if needed. The LP fireplace has saved us in a couple of power outages since it doesn't need AC, we have a remote control that you can set the temperature you want and lay it so it points at the fireplace and it turns the fireplace on and off as needed and heats most of the house if it isn't too cold. I can run the furnace off my portable generator for longer outages or colder temperatures.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, mikegideon said:

9 hours ago, partypilot1 said:

I’ve got 2 geothermal units. 4 ton and a 3 ton, each with two 300 foot wells on a closed loop. It’s awesome 

The ultimate setup... If ya can do it, this is the way ta go.

leroy.  

Edited by leroy