The incomparable Dolly Parton

Chucktshoes

• Moderators

Once again, Dolly proves that she’s likely the best human being currently on the planet  ♥️♥️♥️

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlieporterfield/2021/02/18/dolly-parton-declines-proposal-to-build-a-statue-of-her-on-the-tennessee-capitol-grounds/

This is borderline political, but I think it is neutral enough to pass muster. 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Dolly is a great woman but I simply don’t understand the recent obsession with her.  She does not deserve a statue or bustlol, of any kind.  She is STILL ALiVE.  She does have the class and humility so lost on most these days to realize that.

• Like 3
  • Admin Team

Her ability to deflect political stuff and just serve the people of Sevier county and the state at large is so polished that no amount of money or training could buy it if you wanted it.

She is as good a patron saint as Tennessee could hope for.  She deserves a statue.  I hope they’ll honor her wishes and wait until she’s gone. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Admin Team

I can’t say I’ve ever been a big listener.

But as the parent of three children, I can’t think of anyone who’s actually done more for the children of this state.

My oldest is 14, and I think she was among the first group to be a part of the statewide Imagination Library - where if you’re not familiar any child in Tennessee can receive one book a month in the mail addressed to them at no cost until their fifth birthday.

We’re an affluent family that read to our children every night - but man did my kids look forward to getting those books in the mail.  They’ve of course outgrown most of them - and though we’ve set some aside to keep and pass down - we’ve passed a ton more along to refugee groups and mission points we support.  I’m certain there’s some kid in Haiti or Tanzania who knows the Little Engine that Could or Llama Llama Red Pajama because of Dolly.

My wife teaches in a exceptional education in a school that is extremely diverse - both racially and economically. I can say that for some of the kids she works with - those are the only books they had ever owned. 

She’d get their vote.

• Like 8
18 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

But as the parent of three children, I can’t think of anyone who’s actually done more for the children of this state.

My oldest is 14, and I think she was among the first group to be a part of the statewide Imagination Library - where if you’re not familiar any child in Tennessee can receive one book a month in the mail addressed to them at no cost until their fifth birthday.

We’re an affluent family that read to our children every night - but man did my kids looks forward to those books.

My wife teaches in a exceptional education in a school that is extremely diverse - both racially and economically. I can say that for some of the kids she works with - those are the only books they had ever owned.

She’d get their vote  

Dolly gets the credit, but the state gets the bill.

Dolly is a wonderful human being. When Gatlinburg was burning she took her own money to help displaced residents. It’s not the only thing  she’s done either. She’s as down to earth as one can get. She deserves some recognition for her accomplishments but if she doesn’t want a statue then that’s up to her. 

• Like 3
  • Moderators
14 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

We’re an affluent family that read to our children every night - but man did my kids looks forward to those books.

She’d get their vote  

My kids have all received/receive the Imagination Library books. They look forward to and love those books. They’re each going to have those sets saved and given back to them when they bless us with grandchildren (when they’re grown ass, married, adults.) 

Dolly would get their votes too. 

This conversation reminded me that I had been planning to make a donation to the Imagination Library. You have the ability to direct it to your local affiliate, so Crockett just got some more money in its fund. 

• Like 2
  • Admin Team
49 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Dolly gets the credit, but the state gets the bill.

I don’t know what goes on in the rest of the state, but I know here in Nashville it’s managed by the local chapter of the United Way.

It certainly wouldn’t surprise me to find that the legislature had provided funding or anything like that - I’ve yet to find a politician that won’t try to co-opt a good program to their benefit.

But,I know we’ve donated in the past, and the tax statement we’ve gotten at year end has come from the Imagination Library/United Way. 

• Like 3
Just now, MacGyver said:

I don’t know what goes on in the rest of the state, but I know here in Nashville it’s managed by the local chapter of the United Way.

It certainly wouldn’t surprise me to find that the legislature had provided funding or anything like that - I’ve yet to find a politician that won’t try to co-opt a good program to their benefit.

But,I know we’ve donated in the past, and the tax statement we’ve gotten at year end has come from the Imagination Library/United Way. 

It was a great idea.

• Admin Team

The thing that’s interesting to me about Dolly is how she really does seem to thread the needle and avoid controversy.

With someone of her status, I expect that’s due to three things:

1. A very specific focus on staying out of those topics and situations. This is a craft, and she’s good at it. 
2. To that end, she’s almost certainly cultivated a team of people around her who she’ll listen to and can tell her, “You know what? Take a pass on that one.” I can think of a lot of celebrities who could take lessons on this one. 
3. She’s probably honestly just good people. This just can’t really be faked - at least not for long.  I expect she’d fit in just fine at any of our dinner tables. 

There’s an old story about her breakup with Porter Wagoner and the court full fights that went on for years after that where he basically tried to destroy any career she might have thereafter.  But fast forward a bunch of years to when he was bankrupt in the late 80’s. If my memory serves me correctly, she basically bought his old studio out of foreclosure and gifted it to him.

That lady has never forgotten where she came from.  I hope folks will say the same about me if I make it to her age. 

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

The thing that’s interesting to me about Dolly is how she really does seem to thread the needle and avoid controversy.

With someone of her status, I expect that’s due to three things:

1. A very specific focus on staying out of those topics and situations. This is a craft, and she’s good at it. 
2. To that end, she’s almost certainly cultivated a team of people around her who she’ll listen to and can tell her, “You know what? Take a pass on that one.” I can think of a lot of celebrities who could take lessons on this one. 
3. She’s probably honestly just good people. This just can’t really be faked - at least not for long.  I expect she’d fit in just fine at any of our dinner tables. 

There’s an old story about her breakup with Porter Wagoner and the court full fights that went on for years after that where he basically tried to destroy any career she might have thereafter.  But fast forward a bunch of years to when he was bankrupt in the late 80’s. If my memory serves me correctly, she basically bought his old studio out of foreclosure and gifted it to him.

That lady has never forgotten where she came from.  I hope folks will say the same about me if I make it to her age. 

She’s one helluva business lady. I admire that. She avoids controversy by steering clear of politics. A lesson that should be learned by other entertainers.

• Like 5
  • Admin Team
Just now, gregintenn said:

She’s one helluva business lady. I admire that. She avoids controversy by steering clear of politics. A lesson that should be learned by other entertainers.

I’ve never been to Dollywood, but I’ve noted over the last few years how many moms I’ve heard say, “We went to Dollywood. That place was clean.”

As someone who grew up at Six Flags where you had to be careful about touching anything for fear of either getting a handful or chewed gum or an STD, that comment has stuck with me.

Theme parks aren’t really my thing - but I expect it’s kind of like the old Van Halen green M&Ms clause.  If they care enough to get it clean enough that moms of young kids notice - they probably also care enough about things like maintenance and safety that you can feel good about getting on that ride. 

• Like 2

Turned down The Medal Of Freedom from Trump not once but twice with some lame excuse both times,ya think if it was from Biden or Obama she would have turned it down?  As an old buddy that worked for people like her said   Look at Dollywood employee parking lot,is everybody driving a two year old car with 10 thousand miles on it and are they way ahead on mortage payments  while she banks milions they made for her on top of the millions she has made off them already.  Just an observation.

13 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I’ve never been to Dollywood, but I’ve noted over the last few years how many moms I’ve heard say, “We went to Dollywood. That place was clean.”

As someone who grew up at Six Flags where you had to be careful about touching anything for fear of either getting a handful or chewed gum or an STD, that comment has stuck with me.

Theme parks aren’t really my thing - but I expect it’s kind of like the old Van Halen green M&Ms clause.  If they care enough to get it clean enough that moms of young kids notice - they probably also care enough about things like maintenance and safety that you can feel good about getting on that ride. 

Last time I was there, at least half the rides were down for maintenance. It is clean, but no cleaner than Holiday World, and over twice as expensive.

I’ve never been to Six Flags in Georgia, but was amazed how nice the one in Virginia is.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that Dollywood is a rip off. In the interest of full disclosure, I feel the same way about most everything in Sexier County.

• Like 2
  • Admin Team
Just now, gregintenn said:

Last time I was there, at least half the rides were down for maintenance. It is clean, but no cleaner than Holiday World, and over twice as expensive.

I’ve never been to Six Flags in Georgia, but was amazed how nice the one in Virginia is.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that Dollywood is a rip off. In the interest of full disclosure, I feel the same way about most everything in Sexier County.

I can’t imagine the business model of running a theme park.  Insurance by itself has to be insane.

I remember my wife having some choice comments about the pricing last time they went.

I guess there’s always that place down in Chattanooga where all the old county fair rides go to die.  Man my kids love that place. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Will said:

Turned down The Medal Of Freedom from Trump not once but twice with some lame excuse both times,ya think if it was from Biden or Obama she would have turned it down?  As an old buddy that worked for people like her said   Look at Dollywood employee parking lot,is everybody driving a two year old car with 10 thousand miles on it and are they way ahead on mortage payments  while she banks milions they made for her on top of the millions she has made off them already.  Just an observation.

Her husband was sick the first time, and Covid the second time. Biden’s team has already approached her about it and she turned it down to avoid the appearance of “doing politics”. 

So the answer to the question you posed? It is Yes. 

• Like 3