The incomparable Dolly Parton

Chucktshoes

• Moderators
4 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I can’t say I’ve ever been a big listener.

But as the parent of three children, I can’t think of anyone who’s actually done more for the children of this state.

My oldest is 14, and I think she was among the first group to be a part of the statewide Imagination Library - where if you’re not familiar any child in Tennessee can receive one book a month in the mail addressed to them at no cost until their fifth birthday.

We’re an affluent family that read to our children every night - but man did my kids look forward to getting those books in the mail.  They’ve of course outgrown most of them - and though we’ve set some aside to keep and pass down - we’ve passed a ton more along to refugee groups and mission points we support.  I’m certain there’s some kid in Haiti or Tanzania who knows the Little Engine that Could or Llama Llama Red Pajama because of Dolly.

My wife teaches in a exceptional education in a school that is extremely diverse - both racially and economically. I can say that for some of the kids she works with - those are the only books they had ever owned. 

She’d get their vote.

Just thought I’d add, the program is much larger than TN now. It’s international. 

DOLLY PARTON’S IMAGINATION LIBRARY

Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library is a book gifting program that gifts free books to children from birth to age five in participating communities within the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and Republic of Ireland.

Inspired by her father’s inability to read and write Dolly started her Imagination Library in 1995 for the children within her home county. Today, her program spans five countries and gifts over 1 million free books each month to children around the world.

“When I was growing up in the hills of East Tennessee, I knew my dreams would come true. I know there are children in your community with their own dreams. They dream of becoming a doctor or an inventor or a minister. Who knows, maybe there is a little girl whose dream is to be a writer and singer.

The seeds of these dreams are often found in books and the seeds you help plant in your community can grow across the world.”

By mailing high quality, age-appropriate books directly to their homes, she wanted children to be excited about books and to feel the magic that books can create. Moreover, she could insure that every child would have books, regardless of their family’s income.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
9 hours ago, Will said:

Turned down The Medal Of Freedom from Trump not once but twice with some lame excuse both times,ya think if it was from Biden or Obama she would have turned it down?  As an old buddy that worked for people like her said   Look at Dollywood employee parking lot,is everybody driving a two year old car with 10 thousand miles on it and are they way ahead on mortage payments  while she banks milions they made for her on top of the millions she has made off them already.  Just an observation.

So are you saying it’s good or bad that everybody is driving a two year old car with 10,000 miles on it? Isn’t being ahead on mortgage payments a good thing?

14 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

So are you saying it’s good or bad that everybody is driving a two year old car with 10,000 miles on it? Isn’t being ahead on mortgage payments a good thing?

Read it again GS, he said IS everybody. Don't worry, I did the same thing lol. His point rings home for those of us who were born and raised right here and have kept up with her life. CTS didn't post this to be a bash Dolly thread so I will leave it at this, the truth and what you see on TV is 2 different worlds when it comes to ol songbird.

Added: I believe Will was implying she pays slave wages which why a lot show up with duct tape holding their car together and are 1 payment away from foreclosure.

Edited by FUJIMO
added comment
10 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I can’t imagine the business model of running a theme park.  Insurance by itself has to be insane.

I remember my wife having some choice comments about the pricing last time they went.

I guess there’s always that place down in Chattanooga where all the old county fair rides go to die.  Man my kids love that place. 

Lake Winnipesaukee! I love that place too.

37 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

I believe Will was implying she pays slave wages which why a lot show up with duct tape holding their car together and are 1 payment away from foreclosure.

I'm not saying the woman isn't rich. I'm sure she is. But I bet that the overhead for a theme park is incredibly high. I'm guessing she pays as much as she can in order to still turn a profit. It would be interesting to see some numbers for that place. I'm guessing just the maintenance for the park is into the millions. I don't know that anyone should expect to make a ton of money working at Dollywood. 

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

Read it again GS, he said IS everybody. Don't worry, I did the same thing lol. His point rings home for those of us who were born and raised right here and have kept up with her life. CTS didn't post this to be a bash Dolly thread so I will leave it at this, the truth and what you see on TV is 2 different worlds when it comes to ol songbird.

Added: I believe Will was implying she pays slave wages which why a lot show up with duct tape holding their car together and are 1 payment away from foreclosure.

That's what I get for trying to TGO before morning coffee. Point taken.

• Haha 1

No hate for Dolly Parton, actually love her story, but I don't get the infatuation with her at the level its at. She's got to be the most fake genuine person I've ever seen.😉 Shoot, Fred Smith has done more for TN than Dolly Parton could ever dream and there's no FedEx liscense plates. I don't get those either.

A statue? Your telling me a statue of Dolly Parton standing next to Davey Crockett is a legitimatly good look for the history of TN. I think the standards of statues is confusing. I actually agree with Dolly on this one.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Smith said:

No hate for Dolly Parton, actually love her story, but I don't get the infatuation with her at the level its at. She's got to be the most fake genuine person I've ever seen.😉 Shoot, Fred Smith has done more for TN than Dolly Parton could ever dream and there's no FedEx liscense plates. I don't get those either.

A statue? Your telling me a statue of Dolly Parton standing next to Davey Crockett is a legitimatly good look for the history of TN. I think the standards of statues is confusing. I actually agree with Dolly on this one.

That's all I'm trying to say.

13 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Her husband was sick the first time, and Covid the second time. Biden’s team has already approached her about it and she turned it down to avoid the appearance of “doing politics”. 

So the answer to the question you posed? It is Yes. 

A little misinformation there,she was never offered it from Biden, says she may turn it down. I doubt it.

Dont know where you are getting your facts from?

3 hours ago, Will said:

A little misinformation there,she was never offered it from Biden, says she may turn it down. I doubt it.

Dont know where you are getting your facts from?

When asked on Tuesday if she's heard yet from President Biden, Parton told NBC's "Today" that she actually has. 

"To be honest, in all fairness, I got offered the freedom award from the Trump administration," Parton said. "I couldn't accept it because my husband was ill. Then they asked me again about it and I wouldn't travel because of the COVID." 

"Now I feel like if I take it, I'll be doing politics, so I'm not sure," she said, adding that she's not even sure if she deserves it. 

Of course she has heard from Biden or his people,is there anywhere that she said she turned it down from Biden?    So my question is there anyone here who can point out to me where Dolly has turned down the Medal Of Freedom from Biden ? or says she will turn it down?    

Edited by Will