Welding Classes near Nashville?

Hozzie

So I have been on the search for a welding class where I can go learn the "right" way to weld.  I can "farm" weld with a Mig and Stick, but I wouldn't call it pretty.  I also have a Tig that I would like to start to learn to use correctly.  My projects have seemed to work up to this point, but I would really like to learn some proper technique.

My problem is that I can't seem to find any classes that used to exist where someone could go a couple of nights a week for 12 weeks or something and get some basic knowledge and experience.  Everything I find is a technical college or CC that offers classes to someone wanting to make Welding their career and requires going 5 days a week in the middle of the day.  

Does anyone happen to know of anywhere that does the classes like they used to around Nashville.  Maybe I am just looking in the wrong places.  I have all of the equipment and could just youtube and do things with trial and error, but for me it isn't the same as some real instruction.  

Thanks in advance for any insight.  I thought someone here may know of somewhere that does something like this.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

So I have been on the search for a welding class where I can go learn the "right" way to weld.  I can "farm" weld with a Mig and Stick, but I wouldn't call it pretty.  I also have a Tig that I would like to start to learn to use correctly.  My projects have seemed to work up to this point, but I would really like to learn some proper technique.

My problem is that I can't seem to find any classes that used to exist where someone could go a couple of nights a week for 12 weeks or something and get some basic knowledge and experience.  Everything I find is a technical college or CC that offers classes to someone wanting to make Welding their career and requires going 5 days a week in the middle of the day.  

Does anyone happen to know of anywhere that does the classes like they used to around Nashville.  Maybe I am just looking in the wrong places.  I have all of the equipment and could just youtube and do things with trial and error, but for me it isn't the same as some real instruction.  

Thanks in advance for any insight.  I thought someone here may know of somewhere that does something like this.

Good luck, I have been in the same boat for some time.  I too make what I call Gorilla Welds, ugly but strong.  I looked at a few local places and even Nashville but like you, only found places that would certify you to work in the industry.  I think your (and my) best bet is to find someone local that is a pro welder to teach you on your equipment.  

• Like 1

Yeah, it may even take something like getting a small group together and approaching a welding shop where we could make it worth while for one of their guys to make some extra money.  I am not looking to learn the ins and outs of metallurgy in fine detail, but some real world guidance on welding basic Fe metals and aluminum. 

I wondered if there was a Makerspace in Nashville that might have some people willing to share their knowledge.  While searching, I ran across this:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/beginners-welding-tickets-130973397959?aff=ebdsoporgprofile

It's a beginners class tomorrow (02/20/2021 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM CST).  Cost is $70.  While it may well be too basic of class for you, it might get you in contact with welders at the Make Nashville community.

FYI: I've never been to a Makerspace and have only read about them.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t consider myself a pro welder by any means, as there is so much to welding, fabrication, and metal work that it’s undoubtedly a lifelong study to reach that level. But I am certified, own my own mobile welding rig, and make a fair amount of money welding as my side job. I’d be happy to answer questions on here, or at some point link up and put on a small class. I’ve taught quite a few military guys to weld, if they can figure it out anybody can 😉.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I have watched quite a bit of youtube and I can certainly go out and play with about anything I want in the shop, mess things up and try again and that is always a good way for me to learn, but I also realize I can start a lot of bad habits and not even know it.  

Danger Rane, I may try to take you up on your offer at some point.  We could turn it into a Weld and Shoot day.  

I will take a look at some of those videos.  I have watched quite a few, but maybe I just need to jump in and give it a go.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, billmeek said:

I wondered if there was a Makerspace in Nashville that might have some people willing to share their knowledge.  While searching, I ran across this:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/beginners-welding-tickets-130973397959?aff=ebdsoporgprofile

It's a beginners class tomorrow (02/20/2021 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM CST).  Cost is $70.  While it may well be too basic of class for you, it might get you in contact with welders at the Make Nashville community.

FYI: I've never been to a Makerspace and have only read about them.

I can't make tomorrow but will watch this for future options.  Could be too basic but with no formal training I doubt it could hurt.

Edited by Hozzie

I just checked and it still gave me the option to purchase a ticket.  I may try to contact them and see if we can setup a class if I can get 6 of us to commit to it.  The hard part is really having a class that would work for everyone as I suspect we have different experience levels.  I would even be up for a 4 or 5 classes if the instructors would offer it.  Progress a bit as we go.  I'll see what I can find out next week. 

Edited by Hozzie

A number of years ago I took evening welding classes at McGavock High School through a Nashville Continuing Education program. It was cheap, like $50 for a 5 or 6 week program, plus a book if I recall. I can't find anything similar now. 

Most of the TCAT campuses offer Welding Technology programs but that may be more involved than you are looking for. I think it is a 12 month program. 

I am just a home fabricator and tinkerer. I would like to get into doing some GTAW (TIG) welding in the near future but for now I just run SMAW and GMAW/FCAW on Lincoln equipment. Most recent purchase was a cheap plasma cutter and boy do I love that thing.  

• Like 1

That is exactly what I was hoping to find.  I would think there would be a demand for it still, but like anything it's probably hard to find someone that wants to manage the overall scheduling, etc.  I may call Volunteer Welding and ask them as well.  Looks like they put on or at a minimum partner in the class mentioned above.  I bought my gas from them.  I suspect they may know of anything like this if it exists.

I don't have high end equipment but it works fine for what I need.  I have a Hobart Handler 140 I use for Mig and an Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT for TIG and Stick.  I have bottles of shielding gas for both so I should have the basics to practice with any of it.  I bought a 50 Amp Everlast Plasma at the same time.  While not the most powerful, it cuts through anything I need at this point.   

My shop isn't heated yet so too cold to be out doing much now, but will get back out soon and start playing.

Edited by Hozzie
  • 1 year later...

@Danger Rane I am looking for some help with welding on a car project I have. I am located in East Nashville. I am currently a student at Vanderbilt and while in school I am working to wrap up my build that has been in motion for 5 years now. I am in need of help with welding aluminum intercooler pipe, welding a stainless down pipe and a flange to my exhaust manifold for my external waste gate. 

I would love to chat to see if this is something you'd be willing and open to helping me on. I would really love to learn welding myself, but currently not in a space to be able to take on the cost of buying a welding setup to get going. 

On 11/27/2022 at 12:11 PM, Ded137 said:

@Danger Rane I am looking for some help with welding on a car project I have. I am located in East Nashville. I am currently a student at Vanderbilt and while in school I am working to wrap up my build that has been in motion for 5 years now. I am in need of help with welding aluminum intercooler pipe, welding a stainless down pipe and a flange to my exhaust manifold for my external waste gate. 

I would love to chat to see if this is something you'd be willing and open to helping me on. I would really love to learn welding myself, but currently not in a space to be able to take on the cost of buying a welding setup to get going. 

I sent you a pm sir.