Only one of these for home defense

loadedp3at

18 minutes ago, loadedp3at said:

Wasn't sure where to put this so sorry if in wrong place. Only choosing between these two for home defense. Hipoint carbine 9mm with laser or glock 30 with night sights?

I have a Glock 30sf and it's my favorite of all the Glocks, I guess that's why I bought one. Very accurate and dependable pistol. Never tried the Hipoint carbine but I have a Ruger PC carbine and it would be a great home defense also. The Glock can double as home defense and concealed carry would be a good reason to go with it.

• Like 2

I'm not familiar with the Glock 30SF, but anything Glock is going to be reliable. 

The Hi-Point 995TS is a fun little budget carbine.  I've had two and loved them both.  However, neither reliably fed HP ammunition.  So I keep FMJ in mine.  Both were utterly flawless with FMJ and when using Hi-Point magazines.  DO NOT BOTHER WASTING YOUR MONEY ON 15 ROUND PROMAGS if you go with the Hi-Point. I know that Hi-Point is selling the Redball 20 round mags on their webiste, so you might check those out, if you must have hi-cap mags.  

With my current Hi-Point, I have taken off the iron sights and added a cheap reddot.  It works great and is holding the zero.  The little carbine is quite accurate out to 100 yards too. The trigger is nothing to write home about, but once you get use to it, it's not a deteriment to accuracy.  I let my first one go on a trade, but immediately regretted trading it it.  My current one is going no where and currently resides in my home office, as my house long gun, when I'm working.

• Thanks 1

995 fan here.

Thousands of rounds, accurate and reliable.

Solid 9mm PCC.

Have 2 - 20 round Red Ball mags, few hundred rounds, no issues.

Easy to reload with 10 round mags, which are still currently legal in most US states.

Down side is it is heavy. I added a  HTA bullpup stock to mine and it's 9#+

For $200+ more, there are better options if weight and common mag availability is a concern.

According to the internet, 16" barrel gets you about +200fps.

It's still a pistol bullet.

If you're concerned about range folk talk about exploding, self discharging HPs, eff 'em.

SIght it in, keep in moderately clean and lubricated, then  ring steel at 25 to 50  yards 10/10 times with no malfunctions.

IMG_20210104_104940_01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I have a Ruger PC in 40 caliber. Have had it for years. It is a hard shooting carbine and I have enjoyed it. I keep it for a house gun. It is very accurate at 50 yards, but opens up a bit at 100. For what it is made for, it is adequate. My carbine has 2 15 round mags and I purchased 2 extra. 

• Like 2

I'm hearing very favorible things about the Hi-Point 10mm carbines too!

I have 7 -10 round Hi-Point mags and one of those Pro Mag 15 rounders (which I will not use).  I'd be willing to trade someone that wants to fool with the Pro Mag, for another Hi-Point 10 round mag, if anyone is interested in the Knoxville area. 

Edited by Moped
  • Like 2
20 hours ago, Moped said:

I'm hearing very favorible things about the Hi-Point 10mm carbines too!

I have 7 -10 round Hi-Point mags and one of those Pro Mag 15 rounders (which I will not use).  I'd be willing to trade someone that wants to fool with the Pro Mag, for another Hi-Point 10 round mag, if anyone is interested in the Knoxville area. 

My cousin in Ga is the one who really talks up the Hi-Point carbines. He has several in different calibers, but raves the most about the 10mm. I was really tempted to go that route, but just didn't want to go into a caliber I'd have to scrounge for ammo. 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, hipower said:

My cousin in Ga is the one who really talks up the Hi-Point carbines. He has several in different calibers, but raves the most about the 10mm. I was really tempted to go that route, but just didn't want to go into a caliber I'd have to scrounge for ammo. 

There for a while, 10mm was available.  Not, not so much.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, A.J. Holst said:

They make it in .40 and figured out 10mm, I always thought if they did a limited run in .357Sig, they'd get a few chuckleheads, like me, to take a serious look.

Probably me as well since I have a bunch of 357sig rounds.

• Like 1

My life would be on the Glock and I'm don't even own one. The laser (in my opinion) shows a potential bad guy immediately where you are. Just last weekend I was watching a what I assume was a new shooter with a Glock shooting at an indoor range with a large integral laser and a light combo hanging below the pistol. Was not hitting anything even close to possibly protecting himself or others.

I waited until he was frustrated and no longer shooting before I suggested removing the light/laser combo unit form the pistol. Then we worked on stance, grip/holding the pistol, breath control before the shot, aiming – how the front site should be clear and the target blurry and then trigger pull and not jerking it. He loaded another mag and all 7 shots were in the 7 ring with one in the X. I gave him some of my targets that show where you are hitting immediately, and he kept shooting for the rest of the time I was there getting better as he went. As I left, he said thanks…. that was more than I needed to hear.

• 5 months later...

I would say the G30 with G21 mags and a weapon mounted light is the least bad choice here.   The problem with the Hi Point is  A) capacity and B) chambering.   

Carbines in general do have advantages like being able to use a cartridge that might be too powerful for slightly built shooters to handle in a handgun, ease of manipulation of controls, and sight radius.  Most folks are going to have an easier time operating and getting hits with something like an M1 Carbine than a handgun, especially on home with any kind of acreage where shots over 25 yards might be needed.   Adding a decent red dot makes it even simpler to use.

Disadvantages are maneuvering inside tight areas like hallways, and the need to use two hands.    A pistol is easier to deal with when going through a house, opening doors, etc., especially if you're using a WML.

2 hours ago, chances R said:

Yes, but handheld should be primary light.

I respectfully disagree. Rail mounted is where it's at. But, to each his own.

For the record I have plenty of handhelds as well just not my first choice. I'm much more accurate, deliberate and consistent with a 2 handed grip. Might also want your support hand free for tasks like opening doors if necessary. My $0.02.