Only one of these for home defense

loadedp3at

If it's for home defense, I'm assuming something has gone bump in the night and raised enough concern that you are reaching for your HD go to. I'm guessing we're probably past the normal, let's check it out, phase of a situation at that moment. If you didn't feel it was serious, you probably wouldn't be reaching for your firearm. 

Odds are, half asleep and a full adrenaline dump being jolted awake by sound or a loved one. If you are in this state of mind, you probably won't want to be fumbling with a handheld in one hand and your gun in the other.

Assuming there is a threat in that situation, then you have to ID the threat, pray you can present fast enough one handed and connect after activating your handheld light. Also assuming if you have to shoot that you'll be able to maintain whatever handheld technique you're using to keep light on target throughout shooting. Especially if there are multiple threats.

I agree that using a weapon light for normal flashlight use like working on your car is a bad idea.

Just offering a viewpoint, no animosity in this response. I appreciate the conversation.

• Like 1

I got three Glock's here, There's a G20.3 and G21.3 plus my G23.4 carry gun. Right now the G23;4 is the household handgun. The 40 and 45 caliber guns have Glock night sights. For a long firearm its an 870 12ga. with slug barrel. Shoots great patters at 25yards with 00 and #4 buck shot.  I keep it simple.

Added: Sorry, I do not have any hand's on experience with Hi-point carbines.

Edited by Mowgli Terry

As long as this discussion has diverted to weapon lights....people forget that they can have a remote light turn on at their bedside (many wireless flavors available). 

I favor connecting to separate spot or floods pointed at the doors of all entrance points.  This allows the perp to be illuminated while you stay in the dark so as not to be a target.

Blind 'em first...then...boom!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 9:19 AM, loadedp3at said:

Wasn't sure where to put this so sorry if in wrong place. Only choosing between these two for home defense. Hipoint carbine 9mm with laser or glock 30 with night sights?

Both.