Streamlight TL Racker for Mossberg

So I bought a Streamlight TL Racker for my Mossberg Shockwave.  After installing it on my gun, I noticed that it slides on the action tube quite bad. The first one I bought had that issue so I took it back and got another one. I got it home and it had the same issue. I started looking at how the inside was constructed  and think I know the problem. There are "ribs" on the inside that allows it to stay on the tube. The rib closest to the fore end nut is very small and won't hold the unit securely on the action tube. I think it is either bad engineering or bad manufacturing. I'll send some pictures to show what I mean. I'm gonna get my money back. $130 is a lot to pay for a part that has that much slop in it's design.  I was really looking forward to having a light on my shotty but not this one. Anyone else have a Streamlight TL Racker in their Mossberg that does the same thing?

Edited by lock n' load

This how it looks when first installed...

spacer.png

This is what it does when sliding the action..

spacer.png

These are the "ribs" I was talking about. See how the one closest to end is very small?

spacer.png

Another view of how it looks when first installed

spacer.png

This is another pic of it after the nut has slid past the "rib" on the light

spacer.png

I have "0" experience with this device, but fairly sure that the slide barrel on the shockwave is shorter that the 500 or 590 long shotgun (have been wrong before and will be wrong again). You might have the wrong one, packaged wrong?

EIA: if I have time I will check mine on Sunday.

Edited by RED333
Because I can

The one I bought is for the Shockwave which is what I have. Maybe I am doing something wrong? I don't have that tool you need to remove the nut from the action so I had to break the gun down and remove the action piece and remove the old pump ( with a tool I made) to install the Streamlight.  Surely that wouldn't matter since it slips off the action tube whether assembled to the gun or not.

Edited by lock n' load

Is the nut screwing all the way down on the mag tube? Looks like there is a gap. I usually use needle nose pliers to unscrew it and screw it back on. Is the fore end wide enough on the inside to allow the nut to screw down all the way and bottom out?

Found it https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/10/17/review-mossberg-590-shockwave/

The next modification was to add a Magpul Mossberg 500/590 handguard. This is not as easy as the Ergo Grip and SB Tactical Brace. The Magpul handguard does not work with the 590 Shockwave without a moderate amount of modification.

The problem is due to the action tube. The 590 Shockwave uses a shorter tube than a standard Mossberg 500. You can see the two below. So when you slide the Magpul handguard onto the 590 Shockwave tube, the threads are not long enough for the castle nut to grab onto it.

I think it is a design flaw. I had the same issue with the first one I bought. The second one had the same issue. I may contact Streamlight about the issue but I'll probably get a refund first from the place I bought it from.  The slop in the action is unacceptable to me. The stock forend that came on my Mossy has no end to end movement once the nut is tightened. It shouldn't be the any different with the Streamlight I think.

1 hour ago, lock n' load said:

It shouldn't be the any different with the Streamlight I think.

You are 100% correct, "0" movement!!! That is why I think you were sold the wrong part, wrong part in the correct box. Believe me, it happens more than you think.

I returned the unit and got a refund. I got to looking at the one for the 500/590 and it looks like it might work. What's weird is that after looking at the different ones on their website,, the one for the Shockwave and the one for the Remington 870 look identical. The guns are not the same.  The one for the 500/590 is made differently. I ordered one thru Midway since they had them on sale. Update to follow...

I about to order one with the tool for $18.50 to remove the nut the other day from GG&G, I mean in cart bout to enter the credit card number and I held off. I'm really curious too. GG&G makes a  big fuss about the 500/590 and the Shockwave being different. 

I guess third time's a charm. I ordered the 500/590 Streamlight version and it fits perfect. The light is blindingly bright. I still don't understand why the Shockwave version wouldn't work on mine even though it is a Shockwave with an 18.5" barrel. I ditched the birdhead grip for a Hogue stock and replaced the bead with an XS big dot sight. I should've just got a 590 and been done with it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

That makes a little sense now. .  I thought you had the 14" shockwave like I have. The 14 inch has the shorter 5 round tub tube sso the ones you returned should work correctly on mine. Since you have the longer barrel you have the longer tube and need the 590 version, TL Racker needs to clean that fitment guide up a little. Did you use an AR wrench this time? 

Edited by turkeydad
On 2/22/2021 at 6:51 PM, lock n' load said:

I returned the unit and got a refund. I got to looking at the one for the 500/590 and it looks like it might work. What's weird is that after looking at the different ones on their website,, the one for the Shockwave and the one for the Remington 870 look identical. The guns are not the same.  The one for the 500/590 is made differently. I ordered one thru Midway since they had them on sale. Update to follow...

I just ordered mine from Midway...thanks for that,

Yep, the Shockwave has a shorter pump handle tube, like 6.75", I think.

Listen, in my neck of the woods, Tractor Supply is doing a closeout on a forend light with their store brand; Treeline, made for Mossbergs and Remington 870s. The Mossberg one says it will work with the shorter action if you use their spacer (sold separately, but not actually available!?!?), so in reality, this will NOT work on a Shockwave. It does work nicely on my 590 and my buddies 870, so at 900 Lumens, and a $27 closeout price, I bought all they had. Maybe you might check Tractor Supply if you have one near you?

Good luck.  They're listed on eBay by other folks too, and that's where my extras will be in a week or so.