Has anybody tried reloading primers yet?

You read that right. Reloading primers with paper caps. You know paper caps, back when young boys played with real toys. Primers are not available so, some guys are doing this. Match heads are supposed to work too but, you don't see the strike anywhere matches a lot anymore.

Edited by Quavodus
  • Like 1

Not yet, but have 1k on-hand and 3k more caps on order (almost as hard to get as real primers now).  Figure to use these in my 9mm AR rounds with cast boolits, so if I get a FTF, no loss.  But from a few posts on http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ there are a few that have successfully done it so it should be no problem, and I have quite a few spent primers to play with.

aj2R7of.jpg

• Like 1

I've seen those posts on Cast Boolits, too, and I think there are some YouTube videos out there.  I don't see myself trying it.  Spent primers have lead in and on them, and lead is definitely hazardous to your health.  You'd probably not want to handle thousands of spent primers if you can avoid it. But if you must, change and wash your clothes when you're done and wash your hands thoroughly. (I cast and load lead bullets frequently, of course, so maybe I'm full of beans.)

I'd kinda sorta like to try reloading .22, just as an experiment. There are kits out there with everything you need. 

Edited by Darrell
52 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

I noticed that a while back and stocked up on them. Who knows, one day muzzleloaders might be the only thing we're allowed to have.

Well, there's is a way you can get the priming mix out and use it. Not the safest thing in the world, but......

8 hours ago, Hozzie said:

This world has gone insane.  If it gets to the point I have to reload primers I will just start buying big bore PCP guns and forget primers and powder all together.

I agree with you but, it's something that has crossed my mind several times the last year and half or so.

That's what it's coming to. When you can't get things, you adapt. 

6 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Just remember those caps are corrosive. I expect the strike anywhere match heads are as well.

Yeah, I'll just have to clean good after shooting. Actually I probably won't shoot many until I have to.

18 hours ago, Quavodus said:

That's what it's coming to. When you can't get things, you adapt. 

Yeah, I'll just have to clean good after shooting. Actually I probably won't shoot many until I have to.

If your ever in Knoxville I might be able to help you out depending on what flavor of primers you need.

• Thanks 1

You might be right Dirt Shooter.  Didn’t I sell you a brick for $40.00 or $50.00?  I didn’t plan on selling any more due to the times, but I saw a guy at Knob Creek that was losing his fingers due to severe burns.  IMHO your playing with matches and gasoline.

• Admin Team

I don’t have anything to add to this thread other than this:

Wear eye protection!

I saw a primer go off one time not contained within a piece of brass.  It left little pieces of metal buried deep within the plexiglass shield that was being used for safety.

I can’t imagine they’d be able to pick those pieces out of your eyes - and cornea transplants aren’t any fun. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1