Revolver prices

tercel89

I don't understand why revolver prices are as high if not higher than semi-autos . I am getting older and almost 50 but when I was younger revolvers were a lot cheaper than semi-autos. Just like diesel was to gasoline. From what I am seeing , the average price for a 38/357 snub nose is around $600. I don't know about you guys but that seems rather high. I'm talking regular , garden variety Ruger , S&W , and so on. Used prices are just as high. Am I missing something or is this normal ? A Ruger SP101 snub nose new is around $650 at a good well known shop I know. I just don't understand how a 5rd revolver is priced so high.  I just checked and the SP101 new is MSRP $719. Holy Crap Batman ! 

Perhaps because more younger people are getting into buying firearms? Maybe looking for something they consider more simple and uncomplicated to operate?

I know several women who prefer the revolvers to semi-autos, but would say they are in the minority choosing them.

Don't know if you, or much of anyone will agree with this comment, but here it is. Revolvers on the whole haven't changed in pricing that I've seen anyway, for the last 15 years or so that I've been watching the wheel guns.

Always went the semi-auto route until just around the century change. Seemed that all the big names, well the recognized names were 350-500, with the Colts seeming to be the exception. Seems that the Python/Snake Gun mystique had them on the leading edge of pricing. That was about the time I really started looking at wheelies.

Since then, I think there's been a slow rise in pricing to the point that the sub 400 revolver is the exception rather than the rule. Taurus revolvers can still be had in that range, and the new Rock Island line are about Taurus pricing(at least the only ones I've seen.).

I personally say that revolver prices have really been stable for so long, that any changes in the marked pricing is very noticeable.

Then there's the new fears of semi-auto bans, 10 + bans, etc.

I've talked to several people who are thinking the revolvers would be a "safe" entity in the coming times. 

Is that the last line of availability for us? Is that causing a rush on revolvers? I think so.

• Like 2

Simple inflation. Rising cost for materials, labor, etc and so on.  As far as I know, only Ruger has successfully  created a polymer framed revolver and its butt ugly.  🙄 Revolvers have gone up in price just like everything else.

Then there is also the traditionalist view. Some folks just love the classic lines of a good revolver. Its just simple point and pull the trigger. No magazines, no safeties and no slide to rack. There's a quality and craftsmanship that goes into a wheelgun that no plastic fantastic could ever come near.  

Then there's the  collectability of these fine old guns. Many die hard revolver fans just don't care for the changes made in the newer guns. MIM parts, two piece barrels and of course that damned lock. 🤬 Older revolvers can often bring more money than the brand new ones of the same make and model. 

I collect Smith & Wesson revolvers and have a bunch of 'em. However, the 2nd newest revolver I own was made in 1996. It was one of the very last to still have the firing pin on the hammer nose. Very little S&W has made since then interests me at all.  I do have one exception. My 2017 S&W 642. I wanted a lightweight J-frame .38 for carry. I found this at a really good price and its one of the few more current S&Ws without the damned lock.  😉

I also love the old Colts and have several of those. While the new Colts may be good guns. They've always been a bit too proud of that name when it comes to pricing. 🙄

Bottom line: Why are revolvers so expensive? Because they're worth it. 😉

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

Simple inflation. Rising cost for materials, labor, etc and so on.  As far as I know, only Ruger has successfully  created a polymer framed revolver and its butt ugly.  🙄 Revolvers have gone up in price just like everything else.

Then there is also the traditionalist view. Some folks just love the classic lines of a good revolver. Its just simple point and pull the trigger. No magazines, no safeties and no slide to rack. There's a quality and craftsmanship that goes into a wheelgun that no plastic fantastic could ever come near.  

Then there's the  collectability of these fine old guns. Many die hard revolver fans just don't care for the changes made in the newer guns. MIM parts, two piece barrels and of course that damned lock. 🤬 Older revolvers can often bring more money than the brand new ones of the same make and model. 

I collect Smith & Wesson revolvers and have a bunch of 'em. However, the 2nd newest revolver I own was made in 1996. It was one of the very last to still have the firing pin on the hammer nose. Very little S&W has made since then interests me at all.  I do have one exception. My 2017 S&W 642. I wanted a lightweight J-frame .38 for carry. I found this at a really good price and its one of the few more current S&Ws without the damned lock.  😉

I also love the old Colts and have several of those. While the new Colts may be good guns. They've always been a bit too proud of that name when it comes to pricing. 🙄

Bottom line: Why are revolvers so expensive? Because they're worth it. 😉

I work with a guy who thinks you shouldn't carry a round in the chamber on any Smith and Wesson that has a hammer mounted firing pin. I've actually showed him how the rebounding hammer works, but still can't convince him.😧

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Wow 1
3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I work with a guy who thinks you shouldn't carry a round in the chamber on any Smith and Wesson that has a hammer mounted firing pin. I've actually showed him how the rebounding hammer works, but still can't convince him.😧

If he gets into a fire fight, and lives to wish he had one more round, then he'll be a believer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, gregintenn said:

It would cost more to make a quality revolver than something like a Glock I would imagine.

Very true.  Most of your semi-autos today are all clones made of cheap plastics and take little skill to produce.  Revolvers are still made the way God intended guns to be, by fine craftsmen out of steel and wood ...

• Like 1

I'm not thrilled about revolver prices.  But Smiths, Colts, and Rugers have always (I think) been more expensive than the alternatives, and I think of them as a kind of durable goods in a different category than polymer guns.  

Budget wheelguns are still out there - if you're willing to look at Taurus, Charter Arms, Rock Island, etc.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Wheelgunner said:

I'm not thrilled about revolver prices.  But Smiths, Colts, and Rugers have always (I think) been more expensive than the alternatives, and I think of them as a kind of durable goods in a different category than polymer guns.  

Budget wheelguns are still out there - if you're willing to look at Taurus, Charter Arms, Rock Island, etc.

I tried Taurus one time,. Their simple no frills model 85. After one box it got out of time where the cylinder wasn't lining up with the barrel.  The best revolver I ever had was the Ruger SP101. Always carried it hunting in case of 2 and 4 legged angry critters approached me. 

3 hours ago, tercel89 said:

I tried Taurus one time,. Their simple no frills model 85. After one box it got out of time where the cylinder wasn't lining up with the barrel.  The best revolver I ever had was the Ruger SP101. Always carried it hunting in case of 2 and 4 legged angry critters approached me. 

Pick up an old Colt Python or pinned and recessed Smith and Wesson N frame revolver if you want to know what a revolver should be. There is simply no comparison between these examples of fine American craftsmanship and what is being produced today.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Pick up an old Colt Python or pinned and recessed Smith and Wesson N frame revolver if you want to know what a revolver should be. There is simply no comparison between these examples of fine American craftsmanship and what is being produced today.

I hate myself for the ones I let get away. Never owned a Python, but had some good S&W specimens. Now I just have some J frames.

• Like 1

Many years ago I had a Taurus which broke.  They had a lifetime guarantee on their guns that the time.  Don’t know if it’s still exist.  Mailed the gun to their place in Miami.  They fixed it and sent me an extra mag to make up for my shipping. PT-99

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Beltfed said:

Many years ago I had a Taurus which broke.  They had a lifetime guarantee on their guns that the time.  Don’t know if it’s still exist.  Mailed the gun to their place in Miami.  They fixed it and sent me an extra mag to make up for my shipping. PT-99

I won't say I've never had a problem with a Taurus; but each time it was resolved to my satisfaction. I had a 22 Tracker that was a total waste, couldn't get consistent hits with it. Sent it back, and to my surprise received a new one. The other wasn't a gun issue per se, but when Taurus did a massive recall on the PT series, mine got lost in the shuffle evidently. It did take a while, but I received a new upgraded model for my loss.

I still have a few and would buy another if the right opportunity presented itself.

Edited by hipower