Revolver prices

tercel89

The Ruger LCR revolvers are nice but they are way over priced. I had 2 and my brother had some. For what I see how they are made , I think they should be priced very lower than they are priced. They work great but the frame is plastic and the other parts are steel. To me it's still too high in price for what you get. 

Edited by tercel89
spelling
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 9:53 AM, tercel89 said:

The Ruger LCR revolvers are nice but they are way over priced. I had 2 and my brother had some. For what I see how they are made , I think they should be priced very lower than they are priced. They work great but the frame is plastic and the other parts are steel. To me it's still too high in price for what you get. 

Am not really a Ruger revolver fan, but did own a LRCx.  Would not worry about the plastic frame.  Only thing I didn't like on the LCRx was the trigger which would slap your finger really hard on reset when using +P loads.  Recoil usually doesn't bother me, but this actually smacked my trigger finger so hard it hurt.  Mind you when I shoot, its usually 100 or so rounds of the good stuff.  I sometimes carry my trusty S&W Bodyguard .38 with +P loads.  It is much more comfortable to shoot although I think the Ruger was built better (yes I said that).

btw, Overall I agree with you.  Not only are most revolvers overpriced but many have trigger pull set so hard it makes them hard to love.  Didn't use to be that way...but the was it is with Ruger and S&W now a days.  Have not tried Taurus revolvers.

Edited by JustEd
grammar
  • 1 month later...

I have owned 4 Taurus revolvers. A stainless 85, blued 689, stainless 650 (was a bear even with .38 special loads) and my new to me 608. never had issue with any of them. I would put the trigger pull and fit/finish of my 608 up against colt or s&w other than custom shop units.

I only own two polymer guns, Ruger SR22 and a Kel tech P32. the Ruger I have no fear of having an issue and have had only one failure to fire with the .32 which goes EVERYWHERE with me. pocket lint under the firing pin. or as I call it,,,operator malfunction.

all that to say, I love revolvers but carry autos, preferably of the 1911 variety or derivatives.  I prefer and buy steel most of the time. but even steel autos can be made with lower cost investment cast frames. revolvers take a lot of machining and are lower volume, that drives up manufacturing cost.

as for an empty chamber under the hammer, I have only had one revolver without a transfer bar and never carried my single six. all of my autos are carried cocked n locked except the .32 which has no safety. it's just fully loaded.

1 hour ago, Raoul said:

I would have to opine that there's not a thing wrong with a Taurus. I have a couple. But they ain't a S&W...

nothing wrong with S&W, I just don't care for them. and I am not spending the money for a Colt, at least not now

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Raoul said:

I would have to opine that there's not a thing wrong with a Taurus. I have a couple. But they ain't a S&W...

Wanna buy some more? I got a few too. LOL! 

Picked up a NIB 6" 38/357 a while back. Love it.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 2

I have owned one Dog Taurus revolver, 25 years ago. Own 5 Revolvers now and have had good success with all 5. Will not purchase semi auto pistols from Taurus. Taurus revolver quality has gotten better. Like Raoul said, you can't make them S W's.  Taurus will not have the resale as the Smith's. 

The internal lock on Taurus, LCRs, and Springfield 1911s will not lockup under recoil like a S&W revolver will. 

I like my LCR but I still like my Smiths and Colt better. The LCR shines with 22, 327, and 9mm because I can’t afford a a Smith in those calibers.

Edited by Patton
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 10:19 PM, No_0ne said:

Very true.  Most of your semi-autos today are all clones made of cheap plastics and take little skill to produce.  Revolvers are still made the way God intended guns to be, by fine craftsmen out of steel and wood ...

I enjoy a revolver at the range but still prefer a semi-auto should I need to defend myself.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tnhawk said:

I enjoy a revolver at the range but still prefer a semi-auto should I need to defend myself.

It depends on the situation. When I hike, I almost always carry a .357 revolver. But when running around doing errands, I carry a semi-auto.  One of those cheap plastic ones that take little skill to produce, but shoot great and don't pull my pants down around my ankle. I'm not a fan of suspenders... 😆

Edited by Moped
  • Haha 1