Optics ready pistolas... Somethin to play with or the " Real Deal "..?

leroy

• Moderators

James Yeager has been vocal regarding his views on red dots on guns intended for serious use duty/CC (he doesn’t like them). Scott Jedlinski invited him to take his RDS instructor class at Royal Range. It’s a long video, about 90% of it is class instruction. Lots of valuable information in the video. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

James Yeager has been vocal regarding his views on red dots on guns intended for serious use duty/CC (he doesn’t like them). Scott Jedlinski invited him to take his RDS instructor class at Royal Range. It’s a long video, about 90% of it is class instruction. Lots of valuable information in the video. 

(Yeager) Well, it is hard to use an optic ... or a firearm laying facedown in a ditch. He does have experience.😕

• Like 1
On 3/13/2021 at 1:55 PM, Chucktshoes said:

Don’t know what I’m going to do with that stupid Swampfox Sentinel. 

I've got a 22 that it would likely be just fine on!  haha

On 3/14/2021 at 2:20 PM, A.J. Holst said:

Installed, big shout out to @joe4vol for use of his sight pusher in a parking lot on Bearden Hill.

IMG_20210314_135542_01.jpg

So, uhhh, why did you remove your rear sight?   

Whelp.  Update time.  I got my Holosun in, got it installed on my 365XL ( regular slide) and sold and shipped the SAS ported barrel/slide assembly to a guy on Facebook.  Also tried to Dremel the kydex part of my Galco Kingtuk to make the rig fit the gun with optic.  The way its made I couldn't get it pared down enough without removing the top rivet.  Being unsure how the rig would work without that rivet, i didnt do that.  It works as it is now, but i dont really like the fit, not perfect enough for me, so I ordered a new Crossbreed Supertuck.  

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

After installing a Holosun 507k on my 365xL I noticed very soon his dusty it got in my IWB holster.  Found these on Amazon and they came today.  they work perfectly.  Has a retractable brush and a cleaning pad.  Love them. Got a 3 pak. Gonna keep one at home. One in the car and one in my go bag. They were around 8 bucks.

3 Pieces Multifunction Lens Cleaning Pen Brush, Lens Brush Camera Screen Cleaning Pen for Camera, SLR, Telescope, Magnifying Glass, Phone

• Thanks 1
On 3/18/2021 at 8:30 AM, Capbyrd said:

So, uhhh, why did you remove your rear sight?

Fine Italian design...the front ledge of the sight hangs over the cover plate.

With the casting to enclose the FPB, there isn't enough wiggle room to remove the cover plate.

Just thought I'd drop this here.  My wife's and my daily carry guns.  Mine is a Glock 19 MOS w/ an RMR on a C&H mount.  Hers is a P365 with custom slide milling.  The milling service was purchased through a GunBroker auction for $50 with the refinish.  We both carry appendix and couldn't be happier with our setups; (I use a Sagax Lux 2 holster and she uses a Tulster Oath).

We both have bad astigmatism -- the 507k is much crisper than the RMR.  She tried the SwampFox first, while it had the best auto-brightness sensor I've come across, the dot looked like a Christmas tree to both of us.  It was unusable.

Anyone still on the fence about these things needs to jump off and get one.  Just try a few out first to make sure they work with your vision.  They are amazing additions to most any pistol.

his-hers.jpg

• Like 4
  • Moderators
36 minutes ago, AllGunsNoMoney said:

Just thought I'd drop this here.  My wife's and my daily carry guns.  Mine is a Glock 19 MOS w/ an RMR on a C&H mount.  Hers is a P365 with custom slide milling.  The milling service was purchased through a GunBroker auction for $50 with the refinish.  We both carry appendix and couldn't be happier with our setups; (I use a Sagax Lux 2 holster and she uses a Tulster Oath).

We both have bad astigmatism -- the 507k is much crisper than the RMR.  She tried the SwampFox first, while it had the best auto-brightness sensor I've come across, the dot looked like a Christmas tree to both of us.  It was unusable.

Anyone still on the fence about these things needs to jump off and get one.  Just try a few out first to make sure they work with your vision.  They are amazing additions to most any pistol.

his-hers.jpg

You dodged a bullet with the Swampfox. It’s not solid enough for edc/duty use. 

24 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

You dodged a bullet with the Swampfox. It’s not solid enough for edc/duty use. 

We really wanted to like it.  The housing felt solid and like I said above, the automatic brightness responsiveness was absolutely incredible.  I wish my RMR worked half as well in that regard.  I look forward to checking them out again in a few years.

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, AllGunsNoMoney said:

We really wanted to like it.  The housing felt solid and like I said above, the automatic brightness responsiveness was absolutely incredible.  I wish my RMR worked half as well in that regard.  I look forward to checking them out again in a few years.

I had the Sentinel attached to my Hellcat. The glass cracked from a slight impact that it took while still in the holster. 

They're fine for a range only, but not something to trust your life on. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 12:01 PM, Chucktshoes said:

I had the Sentinel attached to my Hellcat. The glass cracked from a slight impact that it took while still in the holster. 

They're fine for a range only, but not something to trust your life on. 

I have a Swampfox Blade on a M&P15-22.  I wouldn’t use it for anything else. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Having  the Holosun 507k-x2 on my P-365XL and loving it, I read about the new green one coming out, and Im not talking fuel efficient here, lol.  The HE407K-GR X2 has a suggested retail of 276.46.  I also hear it'll be out sometime this summer.  I think I am going to pick up one for my other XL.

I've been carrying my Staccato P DPO in a TENICOR AIWB Holster for about 3weeks or so, and it took me a little while to get used to it I put a foam wedge on it, and that helped out greatly. 20210426_130019.thumb.jpg.470ec68ea8b6d14f10e05bfbc7802fd5.jpg20210508_105052.thumb.jpg.2e34eb8271a174288c42aecc13934753.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

My dad, who is obviously older, has a few optics on pistols. I’ve tried them and like them, but never can commit to getting one myself. I find that, when I’m practicing defensive shooting at average engagement distances, I’m reasonably accurate at point shooting, and often don’t even pick up the sights at all. 

I also have a beef with the dots that turn themselves off and on when they are “shaken” awake. If I’m carrying a gun on my hip I feel like it will get shaken a lot. I’m waiting for someone to come out with a self illuminating pistol sight like the Meprolight or ACOG. 

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Thursty said:

My dad, who is obviously older, has a few optics on pistols. I’ve tried them and like them, but never can commit to getting one myself. I find that, when I’m practicing defensive shooting at average engagement distances, I’m reasonably accurate at point shooting, and often don’t even pick up the sights at all. 

I also have a beef with the dots that turn themselves off and on when they are “shaken” awake. If I’m carrying a gun on my hip I feel like it will get shaken a lot. I’m waiting for someone to come out with a self illuminating pistol sight like the Meprolight or ACOG. 

Those are called tritium night sights. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Thursty said:

This is a silly thing to have a problem with.  First of all, the shake-awake feature really should be considered a "Sleep If No Movement" feature.  The purpose of it is to take what is already an incredibly long battery life for most modern red dot optics and extend it even further by hibernating the emitter when the gun is in storage.  You don't WANT the optic going to sleep when you're carrying it, IMO.

Second, the battery life of modern dots except for the first generation AimPoint Acro which suuuuuuucked, is measured in thousands of hours... MONTHS... at mid-level brightness.   We survived without so-called shake awake for years on Trijicon RMRs.  We still do and even without them running out of battery unless we're just negligently stupid about not changing batteries on a schedule.  I have six RMRs and a host of Holosuns.  My RMRs have never run out of battery because I change them every six months.  Easy peasy.

Lastly, Trijicon already produces an RMR that uses dual-illumination like what you're asking for.  No one uses them*.  🙂

*That I know

• Like 3
On 2/24/2021 at 8:34 PM, TGO David said:

Brownell's slides are a cheaper alternative.

Hey David, do you have a recommendation on adding a red dot to my Glock 19 gen5 non MOS? Very new to it but thinking I'd like to transition from irons to red dot and interested in whatever is "best" for getting eye and sight alignment, whether that's buying a new slide or getting my current one milled. 

Thanks!

Edited by user1716
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

Lastly, Trijicon already produces an RMR that uses dual-illumination like what you're asking for.  No one uses them*.  🙂

I’d be willing to bet there aren’t 1000 dual-illumination RMRs out there with more than 100 rounds on them.

They sound like a great idea - and they are within the right use case.  But they really don’t solve a problem that the regular RMR and a pair of backup irons doesn’t.

It exists to sell on GSA contracts and to folks in the private space who’ll spend more if you show them how. 

• Like 2
  • Administrator
7 hours ago, user1716 said:

Hey David, do you have a recommendation on adding a red dot to my Glock 19 gen5 non MOS? Very new to it but thinking I'd like to transition from irons to red dot and interested in whatever is "best" for getting eye and sight alignment, whether that's buying a new slide or getting my current one milled. 

Thanks!

I'd probably buy a ready-milled slide or even a MOS slide.  You can find the MOS slides for sale with various folks like Big Tex Ordance, on GunBroker, etc.   Or pick up an Agency or Zev aftermarket slide.  I really like the Agency AOS system for mounting optics as it gives you some flexibility instead of anchoring you to a specific optics mounting footprint.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, user1716 said:

Thanks!

Jagerwerks is one of the industry leaders in slide milling/optic cuts and they’re actually running a special right now on optic cuts (for 4th of July).
https://jagerwerks.com

Another nice option like David mentioned is the Agency AOS system. Basically much higher quality than the factory Glock MOS platform so you won’t be limited to one optic footprint in the future. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, TGO David said:

This is a silly thing to have a problem with.  First of all, the shake-awake feature really should be considered a "Sleep If No Movement" feature.  The purpose of it is to take what is already an incredibly long battery life for most modern red dot optics and extend it even further by hibernating the emitter when the gun is in storage.  You don't WANT the optic going to sleep when you're carrying it, IMO.

Second, the battery life of modern dots except for the first generation AimPoint Acro which suuuuuuucked, is measured in thousands of hours... MONTHS... at mid-level brightness.   We survived without so-called shake awake for years on Trijicon RMRs.  We still do and even without them running out of battery unless we're just negligently stupid about not changing batteries on a schedule.  I have six RMRs and a host of Holosuns.  My RMRs have never run out of battery because I change them every six months.  Easy peasy.

*That I know

Ok. I can certainly admit when I’m out of my depth on something, just don’t have enough experience with pistol optics. It’s something about the slide milling that gets me. If I had an optics ready gun, I’d probably take the plunge, but having to send my slide o to get milled is just not something I’m ready to dive into. 

So, I’ll ask the optics guys, do you run optics in all your guns? Some of your guns? Just your target guns? Just your carry guns?

On 7/3/2021 at 7:34 AM, Thursty said:

Ok. I can certainly admit when I’m out of my depth on something, just don’t have enough experience with pistol optics. It’s something about the slide milling that gets me. If I had an optics ready gun, I’d probably take the plunge, but having to send my slide o to get milled is just not something I’m ready to dive into. 

So, I’ll ask the optics guys, do you run optics in all your guns? Some of your guns? Just your target guns? Just your carry guns?

Not an expert here, but a recent convert after a LOT of study. I've got a Holosun 507k-x2 Green on my EDC Sig P-365XL and the same model in red on my backup XL. I haven't put whole lot of rounds with them yet but I have shot them several times and I am impressed with how my shooting has improved.  I was concerned in making my mind up, that my shooting, other than recreational, would be up sudden and up close.  I didn't see how a RDS would help much in those emergency situations when point and shoot is most likely called for.  I think the realization that just because i had a RDS on my guns didn't necessarily mean I couldn't still point and shoot, or even co witness the iron sights. The 507k, while it replaces the rear sight, has a notch that lines up pretty good with the front sight.  I've tested this at the range and I've found it to be as accurate as I am, plus, I could still point and shoot.  The Xray front sight on my Sig is bright enough, even in daylight, to acquire it through the holosun. I don't think it slows me down any at all.  Speaking of speed, using the RDS does slow me down a bit right now as I'm not used to it.  I've already noticed improvement and expect to improve more as I practice.

Edited by Defender
  • Like 1