Optics ready pistolas... Somethin to play with or the " Real Deal "..?

leroy

I just made a post about this. Oddly enough, I missed this entire thread to make it. I just bought a Taurus G3 TORO. I know, it is nothing nearly as fancy as a lot of what is posted here. I am just testing the waters for the optic though. A lot of good information here.

• Like 1

One thing to note, in my experience anyways, is that if you are going from years of using irons to a red dot you will have to completely retrain yourself in how you present the weapon.  It's much more akin to point shooting than it is using iron sights. There's a video on youtube from Garand Thumb and Modern Samurai that discusses it better than I can, but basically rather than aligning the sights and focusing on the front dot/blade/whatever, you focus on your target and bring the dot into your line of sight. Look through the dot, not at it.

• Like 1
On 7/3/2021 at 7:34 AM, Thursty said:

Ok. I can certainly admit when I’m out of my depth on something, just don’t have enough experience with pistol optics. It’s something about the slide milling that gets me. If I had an optics ready gun, I’d probably take the plunge, but having to send my slide o to get milled is just not something I’m ready to dive into. 

So, I’ll ask the optics guys, do you run optics in all your guns? Some of your guns? Just your target guns? Just your carry guns?

I put them on carry guns and I like to buy factory models with optic cuts whenever possible.   I would also like have one or two set up for competition as well, but honestly, the USPSA carry optics division is meant for just these kinds of guns anyway.    I don't have much appetite for getting one mounted on a .40 or 9mm 2011.

I am switching to Carry Optics division in USPSA and went out to the garage tonight to do some dry fire and got this.  I posted earlier in this or another thread about dots fogging up when going from cool indoors to hot humid outdoors.  Someone pointed out that iron sights can get bent, broken, etc and that’s true, but that would be due to neglect, mechanical failure, etc.  A fogged up dot is due to environmental conditions and will probably happen repeatedly under the same circumstances.  I believe Rain-x used to make some anti-fog that supposedly worked and I may experiment with it, but I am definitely not ready to start carrying one of these.  

D62B364F-53C7-4735-9CED-B43BD9F07F7A.jpeg

29FE176B-0D3B-4B38-8789-F45124875C8F.png

4 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Put some cat crap on it. It’s what I use on all my weapon optics and night vision glass. 

I don’t have a cat, but I wonder if Pomeranian turds will help.  

And before anyone wets their pants, it’s a gamer gun and doesn’t need co-witnessed sights.  

• Haha 1

In bright, in your face sun, some shooters put blue painters tape over the lens.  I have tried it…one can still see the target with other eye and effectively shoot the dot.  I’m betting you can do the same thing with a fogged glass.

• Like 1

I suppose one scenario could be that just as you leave a cold building and go out into a hot humid exterior, you are attacked and need to draw your weapon. In that case you may have a fogged lens.

But you are probably more likely to need your weapon to defend yourself or others in a situation where your optic has already had time to acclimate to the temp/humidity. 

I carry my Staccato P DPO w/HOLOSUN 507C X2, I never noticted it fogging up when going from a air-conditioned building to the outside. But I've been carrying it appendix style not sure if that makes a difference or not.

8 hours ago, chances R said:

In bright, in your face sun, some shooters put blue painters tape over the lens.  I have tried it…one can still see the target with other eye and effectively shoot the dot.  I’m betting you can do the same thing with a fogged glass.

I’m sure you can, as long as you always use both eyes (which I do).  However, the hesitation and delay caused by the wait-what’s-wrong-with-my-gun-what-the-hell’s-up-with-my-dot-oh-it’s-fogged-up-but-i-can-still-use-it routine can be disastrous.  

Edited by deerslayer
8 hours ago, Snaveba said:

I suppose one scenario could be that just as you leave a cold building and go out into a hot humid exterior, you are attacked and need to draw your weapon. In that case you may have a fogged lens.

But you are probably more likely to need your weapon to defend yourself or others in a situation where your optic has already had time to acclimate to the temp/humidity. 

Maybe.  The leaving a cold building scenario may be unlikely, but getting out of an air conditioned car in a parking lot and suddenly needing your gun is probably more realistic.  

16 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I’m sure you can, as long as you always use both eyes (which I do).  However, the hesitation and delay caused by the wait-what’s-wrong-with-my-gun-what-the-hell’s-up-with-my-dot-oh-it’s-fogged-up-but-i-can-still-use-it routine can be disastrous.  

IMO, the close distance, immediate use of your gun, sights or red dot probably won’t even be noticed or used, let alone even notice the rare occasion of fogging.  As I said, try taping yours up and try it out….I bet you will be surprised.

2 minutes ago, chances R said:

IMO, the close distance, immediate use of your gun, sights or red dot probably won’t even be noticed or used, let alone even notice the rare occasion of fogging.  As I said, try taping yours up and try it out….I bet you will be surprised.

I’ve done it a couple times and know it works well if you shoot both eyes open instinctively.  And yes, in an arms length gun fight, the sights/dot will probably be irrelevant.  

58 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Question for the group. If you could pick any optics ready handgun for concealed carry that's currently available, what would you get? I already have several Glocks and I'd like to try something new. 

The first non-Glock I would look at would be a Sig 365XL.  I shot one the other day with a Holosun 407k and was impressed.  I wouldn't get one because it points crazy low for me and is borderline too small for my hands, but it is a solid gun.  

My current carry gun is a Glock 48 and I just switched to shooting red dot guns competitively.  I would prefer to carry something similar and am researching how I would set up a 48 MOS with a dot.  I still have some reservations about carrying a dot, but am slowly coming around.  

Every day upon donning my gear, I do several weapon draws from the holster. My aim is smoothness and adjusting my thinking and grip so the sights are lined up with the target upon presentation. If not I keep doing it until they are. 

I do this with the laser as well, if it is my laser equipped ccw gun. In my case that the technique is a bit different than with irons  Mostly a matter of where my head is in relation to the weapon.  The grip is only slightly different as the weapon is just a tad lower than with irons only  

At the range I find ccw drills with an optic are the slowest of the three

Mind you I am working on first round on target from draw, not strings of targets

In steel work, the optic is very nice though

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Question for the group. If you could pick any optics ready handgun for concealed carry that's currently available, what would you get? I already have several Glocks and I'd like to try something new. 

Reasonable Answer:  Walther PDP with a Holosun 509T dot optic on a CHPWS mounting plate.

Irrational Answer:  Staccato C2 DPO with the same setup.  Unreasonable because it's just silly expensive.  🙂

I have both.  I don't really prefer one over the other.  If I didn't have both, I'd just buy the Walther and call it a day.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
9 hours ago, Erik88 said:

That's honestly what I was leaning towards. That or a Hellcat. I love the way both felt in hand.

I think you'll really like it.  The PDP's ergonomics are excellent and the trigger is one of the best I've ever experienced on a striker-fired pistol, out of the box or otherwise.

• Admin Team
27 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I think you'll really like it.  The PDP's ergonomics are excellent and the trigger is one of the best I've ever experienced on a striker-fired pistol, out of the box or otherwise.

Walther has done an amazing job with their triggers since the P99 days.  At the time, the trigger on my old P99 AS was probably the best non-1911 trigger I had ever felt.