Night vision scope for coyotes?

I’ve got the Sightmark Wraith HD and I love it. Most people upgrade the IR when they get them but it’s fine for me for now. Coming in around $500 it’s a nice entry level that doesn’t hurt the pocketbook too awfully bad. They have a 4K version out now that’s a few hundred dollars more I believe. 
It’s usable in daylight as well so you can video you’re hunts even if we don’t have legal night hunting yet. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rugerla1 said:

I’ve got the Sightmark Wraith HD and I love it. Most people upgrade the IR when they get them but it’s fine for me for now. Coming in around $500 it’s a nice entry level that doesn’t hurt the pocketbook too awfully bad. They have a 4K version out now that’s a few hundred dollars more I believe. 
It’s usable in daylight as well so you can video you’re hunts even if we don’t have legal night hunting yet. 

Thanks for the tip for sure! I might could swing that. Sure beats the $1000 plus prices I was seeing 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, DL126 said:

I have one of the new Wraith models on backorder.

I tried an ATN 4K a while back.
What a steaming pile of crap that thing was.
Stay far far away from anything ATN.

If the budget allows, thermal is the way to go.

Not only is ATN trash, they were also guilty of ITAR violations in helping export 3rd Gen night vision gear to Russia. 

• Wow 1
  • Angry 1
16 minutes ago, Lumber_Jack said:

explain what I'm looking at, besides a suppressed AR of some caliber.  

Ar10 308

Trijicon 35mm reap ir thermal 

The thing on the side is a Silencerco radius. At night your ability to judge distance is greatly diminished. The radius is a LRF that can be adjusted to the crosshairs of the scope. Anything I see gets ranged. If we are hunting with any NV guys, I use the IR laser pulses to point out targets so everyone knows what and were to shoot. I also run an ir strobe sometimes depending on what we are hunting and who we are hunting with. 

• Like 4
48 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Always interested in the details on the smokeless muzzleloaders I see.  Agreed that you go down an expensive rabbit hole quick with them.

You don't have to spend tons. You have options. A smokeless sabotless muzzleloader conversion can be $400 ish, but it can be as expensive as you want to spend. I run a 275 at 2850 and I run 100-150 fps under what it could do.

• Like 1

I have considered this scope. I am setting up a second gun so we can use it as a guest gun or if something fails 10 hours from the house.  It's been getting some good reviews, but I wanted a few more out in the field first. It's super cheap as far as thermals go. 

https://nightvisionuniverse.com/products/bering-optics-super-hogster-r-2-9-11-6x35mm-ultra-compact-thermal-weapon-sight-scope-384x288-50hz-w-tactical-lockable-qd-mount-be43045t

Recently a new thermal has been put out that stopped that idea. As soon as my NOX arrives I'm selling the Trijicon and getting the Halo xrf. I don't know what your budget is, but wow what a scope. 

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1075750352849834

I'll also say hunting coyote at night is very different from day hunting. Calling is much the same, but target identification is a different story. We don't need to get it legalized in TN just to shoot someone's dog. There is several ways to make sure it's a coyote, but if I'm not 100% sure I don't shoot. If the guide tells me to hit it and I'm 99% sure it's a coyote, I don't shoot. First they have to be shaped like a coyote of course. Second they have to move like a coyote. In packs it's fairly obvious, but a single coyote....Oddly enough, the best way is to ask the coyote if he's a coyote.  LOL. It doesn't work if they've been hunted at night for a while, but if you say "hay dog" or make it aware you are there, dog and coyotes act differently. A dog will bark at you or run back to the house. A coyote stands it's ground for a bit and goes dead quiet.  I've watched them circle my hunting partner with in 30 yards. I've had them just sit down in front of us and watch us for 20 minutes. We've had them follow us around as we look for pigs. I also have a dog that looks exactly like a coyote though NV or Thermal and that's probably why I'm a bit more curious. 

I have had some places I hunt tell me I'm required to shoot coyotes even if I have a monster pig standing next to it.

• Like 1