CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY

53 minutes ago, Worriedman said:

Can a CCP holder, if they are an employee/teacher at a college, carry like a HCP holder?

A little confusing.  No permit holder can legally carry on a public school campus unless, they are an employee and possess an ECP, made their intentions known to local LEO (such as campus police) and keep the firearm concealed.  There are several restrictions to that person such as athletic events, medical facility, etc.  Private institutions can make their own policy, including K-12 schools.

May persons possessing handgun carry permits possess their handguns while on WMAs, PHAs, or refuges open to hunter access? 
Recent legislative changes provide that individuals who possess a carry permit may possess their handgun while on TWRA wildlife management areas, public hunting areas, or refuges open to hunter access. The handgun may not be used for taking game unless specifically permitted by TWRA regulation. This change will now allow those with carry permits to possess their handgun at times when previously it would not have been permissible such as during archery hunting. TWRA will apply this same interpretation to those possessing carry permits while hunting on private lands.

On 2/27/2021 at 12:08 PM, Chucktshoes said:

The ConCarry bills only remove the necessity to get a permit. They do not affect the permit system that already exists. The permit will still be there for those that wish to acquire one. 

I believe it was Monday night, one of the talking heads on Ch. 4 in Nashville was literally shrieking that the Con Carry bill would "completely abolish the Handgun Carry Permit program in Tennessee".

SMFH

Edited by docachna
2 hours ago, docachna said:

I believe it was Monday night, one of the talking heads on Ch. 4 in Nashville was literally shrieking that the Con Carry bill would "completely abolish the Handgun Carry Permit program in Tennessee".

SMFH

I gave up on WSMV when they started firing the older reporters. Demetria was still there so not many noticed.

On 2/27/2021 at 11:29 AM, Snaveba said:

I have not read the current bill to pass constitutional carry in Tennessee so I am not familiar with what if any stipulations there will be. 

I believe it the right that we all have under 2A to keep and bear arms. 

However, I do take a little personal comfort (maybe rightly, maybe ignorantly) that if there are folks around me who are carrying, they have had at least a some instruction in the use of a handgun and at least have been introduced to the laws regarding the legal use of said firearm to defend themselves or others. 

As responsible gun owners, we all understand that it is incumbent on us to train, learn, and be safe.

Unfortunately there are A LOT of irresponsible people out there.  With constitutional carry, any yahoo who can legally own a handgun, can carry said handgun even if they have never held one before, shot one before, or have any knowledge or understanding of the laws and regulations pertaining to its use. 

I think about the lady who took it upon herself to shoot at a fleeing shoplifter, hitting the store employee instead. I don’t know the laws in the state in which that occurred, but in Tennessee she committed several felonies. 

I’m not saying a 60min online class to get your CCP or an 8 hour class to get your ECP makes us safe. But at least it opens the door to the knowledge needed to carry a handgun responsibly. 

I understand your concerns, but I think the permit system is a false sense of security. Lets face it, any idiot can pass the HCP class. Shoot, when I took mine we graded our own papers, and as long as nobody got shot at the range you passed that part. 

I do think that when a cop runs your license or sees your HCP and sees that you are a HCP holder it eases their mind a little, because it tells them right away that you at least can pass a background check.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, m16ty said:

I do think that when a cop runs your license or sees your HCP and sees that you are a HCP holder it eases their mind a little, because it tells them right away that you at least can pass a background check.

I have to grudgingly agree. I still stand by my beliefs but some people are just nervous around firearms. It comes from the pounding we have had that guns are bad. enthusiasts know they are neither good nor bad but reflect the person holding them.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, robin48 said:

I don't believe we will get a clean Con Carry law.

contact you state reps and senators. Bill has already passed judiciary committee. 

also need to complain to the local news about digging up every possibly even slightly negative firearm "story" and trying to spin and spread fear. 

• Like 1
On 2/27/2021 at 12:29 PM, Snaveba said:

Unfortunately there are A LOT of irresponsible people out there.  With constitutional carry, any yahoo who can legally own a handgun, can carry said handgun even if they have never held one before, shot one before, or have any knowledge or understanding of the laws and regulations pertaining to its use.

I've gone through the class and permit process in Tennessee twice after moving out of state and then back.   Both times I took the class there was more than one person who had never owned or even shot a gun before they took the class.    Second time around there were three who had to rent a gun because they didn't own one and they were not sure if they would ever buy a gun.  WTF?

59 minutes ago, papa61 said:

also need to complain to the local news about digging up every possibly even slightly negative firearm "story" and trying to spin and spread fear. 

You would think they would be all over wanting this to pass in hopes of more "If it bleeds it leads" headlines.

9 hours ago, battleop said:

You would think they would be all over wanting this to pass in hopes of more "If it bleeds it leads" headlines.

they know from the history that more people carrying does not equal more gun violence. media is owned by liberals so they want to stop it before it passes.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, battleop said:

I've gone through the class and permit process in Tennessee twice after moving out of state and then back.   Both times I took the class there was more than one person who had never owned or even shot a gun before they took the class.    Second time around there were three who had to rent a gun because they didn't own one and they were not sure if they would ever buy a gun.  WTF?

That is insane.

Channel 2 WKRN Nashville just announced it appears this bill will pass. They then proceeded to interview the owner of a firearms training academy who spouted the exact fearmongering I had written about earlier. We don't need a bunch of people without training running around armed. (not direct quote) I know not all qualified training personnel think or speak this way so PLEASE do not take offense. But this guy is just worried about losing all that state required training money. My local shop now provides the current training free. I agree, everyone should get competency training but it should not be required. Oh by the way, if you look at my previous posts in this thread you will know that I have training. I will revisit where and when I can carry and deploy. We should all keep up to date.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, papa61 said:

somewhat watered down as current permit requires the state approved training.

image.png.e955ccc70321137e86ba9f990914d937.png

What are the said "qualifications for the issuance of an enhanced HCP”?

Does that mean you still have to take the class, but no longer require the permit? That's a good middle ground, in my eyes. Remove the cost, but you still need to take the training.

3 minutes ago, mondojackal said:

What are the said "qualifications for the issuance of an enhanced HCP”?

Does that mean you still have to take the class, but no longer require the permit? That's a good middle ground, in my eyes. Remove the cost, but you still need to take the training.

truly not certain. the wording appears to put the burden of proof on us citizens which won't pass federal court scrutiny so I am taking the wait and see. proof being the background check and required training. if it translates to the same procedure as we now have without the state fees that would fix the proof issue.

Edited by papa61
added info
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, robin48 said:

So, where is the bill in process now?

I haven't checked today but both the house and senate bills were passing quickly through the various committees. yesterday they had called for removing the requirement of fiscal report from different agencies of the state.