CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY

On 3/23/2021 at 12:41 PM, chances R said:

Additionally, I never ever said the permit courses adequately train individuals but it is a start....and unfortunately a start and a finish combined for way too many.

"you can lead a horse to water..."

the question isn't what one SHOULD do. it is what the government is allowed to REQUIRE us to do. everyone SHOULD be required to take a comprehensive driver's training course. the government COULD legally require and enforce this but they do not. no one's "right" to drive is guaranteed. everyone US citizen's right to keep and bear arms IS guaranteed without restriction/

• Like 6
16 hours ago, papa61 said:

"you can lead a horse to water..."

the question isn't what one SHOULD do. it is what the government is allowed to REQUIRE us to do. everyone SHOULD be required to take a comprehensive driver's training course. the government COULD legally require and enforce this but they do not. no one's "right" to drive is guaranteed. everyone US citizen's right to keep and bear arms IS guaranteed without restriction/

I'd like to see weapons safety/familiarization classes offered or required in high school.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Defender said:

I'd like to see weapons safety/familiarization classes offered or required in high school.

Pretty sure they do teach a modicum of gun safety in schools...they are bad, if you see something say something, shelter in place, panic.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2
  • Wow 1
52 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Pretty sure they do teach a modicum of gun safety in schools...they are bad, if you see something say something, shelter in place, panic.

I'd like to see gun classes that merge Civics/History and Physics/Chemistry.  I think having students not only understand the function of guns, but the historical context and then, incorporate a STEM approach and make them understand, calculate and determine the chemistry of exothermic reactions and the physics and math of motion and ballistics.

• Angry 1
4 hours ago, Defender said:

It's not the "schools" job.

It's the job/responsibility/duty of Fathers, Grandfathers, Uncles, Big Brothers to teach these things to their sons & daughters.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, AuEagle said:

It's the job/responsibility/duty of Fathers, Grandfathers, Uncles, Big Brothers to teach these things to their sons & daughters.

Unfortunately not all have that resource, especially in single parent families.  Basic firearm safety would be an excellent exposure.  We have the scholastic shooting teams, wouldn't be a stretch to do a little safety series.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, AuEagle said:

I am not against having these classes available in school, as electives, so the parents and children can have the opportunity to learn some gun safety.  Heck, I would like to see more outdoor related school courses made available to kids.  Much better than some of the courses they are now made to take.  That doesn't take away the responsibility of the parents/family, it bolsters the efforts of those that choose to do so, and gives the ones that probably don't know themselves the opportunity to let their kids get that education.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, chances R said:

Unfortunately not all have that resource, especially in single parent families.  Basic firearm safety would be an excellent exposure.  We have the scholastic shooting teams, wouldn't be a stretch to do a little safety series.

I taught many of my son's, nieces & nephews friends gun safety & how to shoot when they didn't have a father or one that even knew or cared anything about firearms. I remember one father thanking me for teaching his son "manly things."

I can't imagine letting someone else teach my children & grandchildren to shoot & depriving myself of that pleasure.

BTW, I always contacted parents prior to doing any of the above.

Scholastic shooting teams are fantastic, but I fear they're on the wane. 

As Omega stated above, I would have no trouble enrolling students who had no one to teach them & wanted to learn from qualified instructors teaching gun safety in schools, again, qualified.

Still, parents & family are #1 in my book.

Edited by AuEagle
3 hours ago, chances R said:

everyone has access to the library and there are PLENTY of resources on the internet. Don't tell me they don't have the time, if you value your children's life, MAKE the time. I'm sure parents all make time for ball games and such.

every child should be required to take gun safety in schools, real gun safety not this watered down don't touch/find an adult crap.

3 hours ago, papa61 said:

everyone has access to the library and there are PLENTY of resources on the internet. Don't tell me they don't have the time, if you value your children's life, MAKE the time. I'm sure parents all make time for ball games and such.

every child should be required to take gun safety in schools, real gun safety not this watered down don't touch/find an adult crap.

Yes, something as important as life and death you are going to learn at the library....just like learning to fish at the library.  Unrealistic

Back when my sons were young and I was a Boy Scout Leader (1988-2000)  our troop did two special camping trips each year. One each to teach and earn the Rifle and Shotgun Merit badges. We started weeks before with classroom work at the regular weekly Troop Meetings and finished with a weekend of live fire. I taught the classroom part several times. Even 20 years ago I had to spend a good portion of the class dispelling  anti-gun propaganda that had been taught to them.  The course wasn't just safety and function, but also included  the 2nd Amendment and history of firearms. The boys were eager to learn and every one earned their Merit Badges. 

These two camping trips were the biggest of the year as many fathers and even mothers on occasion wanted in on the fun. 😀 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, now that is has passed the House and Senate, 2hat does the new law do to my HCP?  How will I get reciprocity in states without permit less carry laws?  Right now, my HCP covers me in most states but the blue coastal ones. 

10 minutes ago, Colt4530 said:

So, now that is has passed the House and Senate, 2hat does the new law do to my HCP?  How will I get reciprocity in states without permit less carry laws?  Right now, my HCP covers me in most states but the blue coastal ones. 

You maintain your TN HCP for reciprocity with other states.  Permits are not going away.

• Like 2

I don't think it's that bad. Essentially, if you can legally buy a gun, you can legally carry. That's good. I didn't have expectations going into this that a person under 21 could start carrying a gun. It's not a great bill, but a great step in that direction. 

• Like 1

true this is not constitutional carry. restrictions on WHERE and when and allthe other tripe. But it is a bite of the big elephant sandwich. remember, we didn't get here all at once, it took years, decades, to erode our freedoms. we won't get it back all at once either.

• Like 2