It's getting bad men...

12 hours ago, AuEagle said:

As long as primers & powder are stored properly their shelf life is indefinite.

I hope you're right, as I surely have Alleycat beat here.  This stuff came to me as part of a big pile of reloading stuff that I traded for with a friend. The price on the magnum primer pack is $7.20.

I grabbed a dozen primers at random and loaded them into cases then fired them off. All the SP pistol primers fired as-expected but a couple of the SPM primers failed to go pop. I'll likely load the magnums anyway for plinking, and just pull the bullets of any rounds that don't fire. Beside this can of W296 there was a larger (I think 4 pound) sealed can as well. The powder seems to be fine.

IMG_0098.JPG

• Like 2

Primers and powder are out there. I bough 1000 CCI small pistol yesterday and 1000 CCI large pistol locally today for normal retail. They also had small pistol magnum but no rifle in this delivery. A local shop owner said they are getting powder and primers at least monthly they just sell out quickly due to hoarders and reselling profiteers. 

I bought what I could load and use in the next few months. It came at the right time since I was running low on pistol primers. Now if I can just find a box of bench rest/match small rifle I will be golden for the spring and summer. 

10 hours ago, OldIronFan said:

I bough 1000 CCI small pistol yesterday and 1000 CCI large pistol locally today for normal retail

Wow, that's great! Good for you.  I stop in at a local shop pretty regularly and they sometimes have powder, but tell me they've not seen primers for many moons. Those resellers you mentioned really tick me off!

5 minutes ago, Darrell said:

Wow, that's great! Good for you.  I stop in at a local shop pretty regularly and they sometimes have powder, but tell me they've not seen primers for many moons. Those resellers you mentioned really tick me off!

Some primers are about to hit. Hopefully normal shooters get them instead of gunbroker.

I still have an idea that the supply chain has a broken/bent link in it. I think between the distributor and retail store there are people able to get the primers and sell them for their own profits be it on GB or elsewhere. Otherwise where do all the brand new primers come from on GB. I can see folks selling off some old stock they have, but seems suspicious to me. No tinfoil hat needed btw.

• Like 2

A supply disruption is very hard to handle.  I had to work through one when we lost the primary plant that supplied one of our feedstocks due to an explosion.  The material was unique and was sole sourced.  We were ethical and allocated available finished goods based on past usage, refused new customers, etc.  Large customers that historically bought by truckload(s) had to unload one pallet then watch the truck drive away to the next customer with product they both desperately needed to serve their customers.  

Bottom line.  We saved the company but our customers were forced to find other options to continue their businesses.   Our most profitable product line was destroyed by loss of customer confidence and their need to serve their customers.  

In a free market, if there's enough demand for reloading supplies and the existing manufacturers are not able to fill the "vacuum", new sources will develop.  That's the basis of "business", identify an unserved need and find a way to fill it.  It will take time but this will happen. 

Unfortunately, we do not live in a true free market.  Politics will have a major influence on what ultimately happens. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@WindHawk Feedstock....Sounds like ypu work with Polymers...

The only issue in someone filling the gap is dealing with the hazmat hurdles for manufacturing, storing, and shipping. That makes it different than other Widget manufacturing. Similarly, I looked at opening a indoor gun range several years back because the only good one went out here. All the regulations related to lead dust and insurance in case of an accident pretty much told me why no one had opened another. Takes a lot of effort and money to get through that.

@Dirtshooter Some of the boxes falling off the back of the delivery truck is a pretty well known thing in times like this. Doesn't matter the product. Heck, I probably would be shocked at how many people in the shipping chain "lose" a package long before it makes it to its destination city because it is marked so they know what it is. One big thing is that the primer makers in the US are few and also make ammo. So they are pulling primers to build their ammo first. Makes sense. More people buy ammo than reloading supplies. Plus I am sure they have contract agreements to fulfill.

None of this is heped by the flippers or the fact that many people are getting into shooting now. Plus, like me, many people have taken the final push to start reloading after putting it off due to setup cost and/or time constraints. 

2 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

A dealer buddy of mine. Unfortunately he has just as hard a time getting stuff as we do. 

I know that FFLs generally get stock in guns and ammo based on allotment tied to how much they bought in the past.  Some of these small stores are getting nothing because the larger ones get a chance at everything first. 

2 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

One big thing is that the primer makers in the US are few and also make ammo. So they are pulling primers to build their ammo first. Makes sense. More people buy ammo than reloading supplies. Plus I am sure they have contract agreements to fulfill.

^^^^This^^^^

Hoarders, panic buyers, opportunists resellers make a run on ammo. 
Ammo manufacturers can't fill orders fast enough.
The primers they can make at max capacity are going directly to their highest volume, highest margin products. 
The small overages or primer order fulfilment they can get out the door are snapped up instantly by more hoarders, panic buyers, and opportunist resellers. 
Those of us that only bought one box (1000 pcs) at a time for the type we needed are left in the lurch. 

Primers, Powder, Cases, and Projectiles are still being made by manufacturers. It is just going to ammo production first. Some of that is going to DPAS rated contract sales (military contracted orders take rated priority over commercial orders). Some of that is going to existing big commercial contract holders. What is left is trickling out to the common folk and small retailers. 

• Like 2

Talked to a guy yesterday at sports store and was telling me he was at Rural King -Clarksville couple days ago and went to ammo area looking for reloading supplies and nothing there,leaving half hour later and seen they had put out a large ammount of ammo,primers,bullets&powder.  Got what he loaded and left most behind. If it is like ammo probably gone in an hour. Frist time he seen it in six months.

I have some old staynless primers like that, a friend got them from a friend that passed away and he gave them to me. No telling how old they are. I need to load a couple up and make sure they will still do the job. I have some old 9 1/2 Remingtons and some old cci's I think. I have some Winchester spp that I bought around 93 or 94 that has sticker $1.86 per 100. I have about 300 left, they are going into some 9mm brass shortly. I ran the numbers using those primers and some old red dot that was $19.99 a pound and a box of 50 9mm cost $5.21. It's a shame I can't sell them and make about 1500 percent profit!!

• Wow 1