Inexpensive 22LR/WMR revolvers

Choatecav

Hello folks,

I recently decided that I wanted to get an inexpensive revolver to keep down at my barn to keep varmints at bay.  This is still high mating season for coyotes which have been very detrimental to my barn cats as well as troublesome to many of my neighbors calves (I have horses and they don't bother them so much).

Anyway, I recently picked up a Heritage Rough rider for a song and it seems to be a nice little 22 revolver and fits the bill quite well.  I gave serious consideration to the newer Ruger Wrangler which seems to be a nice weapon, but ended up getting the Heritage primarily due to the fact that I can get the additional cylinder that accommodates 22 WMR mag rounds which is another nice option to have.

Just wondered if any of you had any experience with these, or other similar revolvers.

thanks

I think several here have them.  I looked at a couple today at my local LGS.  One is the new Shopkeeper and the other was a little 4" ,22LR with a birdshead grip.  That one I'd like to have.  They're neat looking little pistols.  I'm not a fan of the safety that comes on them, but I doubt I'd ever have it on, anyway.

I would also pick this over the Wrangler, for the same reason, being able to get a .22mag cylinder for it.Just makes sense.

I've had one for several years and bought it for much the same reasons that you bought yours.  It was inexpensive and I liked the ability to shoot .22 WMR as well as .22 LR.  Mine is better than I expected for the price and shoots well for a .22 revolver with iron sights.  I've had no problems with the Rough Rider and I don't worry about marring the finish, etc.

• Like 1

I have a Heritage with the swappable cylinders.  It's a good work gun that you don't have to worry about getting dinged up.  I find that it lacks on accuracy next to my nicer .22s.  I usually keep mine loaded with the WMRs.  I believe that it was someone here that once said "a Heritage will last you the rest of your life, but you can hand the Ruger down to your kids."

Edited by 10-Ring
13 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

I have a Heritage with the swappable cylinders.  It's a good work gun that you don't have to worry about getting dinged up.  I find that it lacks on accuracy next to my nicer .22s.  I usually keep mine loaded with the WMRs.  I believe that it was someone here that once said "a Heritage will last you the rest of your life, but you can hand the Ruger down to your kids."

Yeah, I am very much a Ruger fan as I own their SP-101 (.357 mag), their 556 AR-15 and a Mark IV .22 as well as others (the Mark IV is too nice to leave down at the barn, ha).  However, for no more money than this was, the mag cylinder swung the deal.

Actually, shooting this has made me want to also step it up and get a single-six in a nicer quality and maybe doing it in .45 or something.  I think I'm channeling John Wayne ...........................

I had 2 at different times. last one with the extra mag cylinder. The 22's seem to be relatively reliable but watch out for too large cylinder to barrel gap. They can get ridiculous there with way too much cylinder blast if your gun is much past .005 especially with the mag. The one with the mag was pretty used and had a loose barrel. The zamak frames arn't really good in the durability department for a steady diet of magnums. I'v read others with the same issue.

• Like 1

I have shot both(owned by friends), they were fine. Liked the Wrangler better and was thinking of buying one but decided to move upscale and bought a Single Six instead and love it, but would not spend the $$ for a SS to leave in the barn. If you plan on shooting coyotes the Heritage with WMR might be your best choice, the more powerful round would be useful. 

• Like 1

I had an experience with a 22 mag rifle on a dog pack that were killing our calves, several years ago. I shot a Red Bone hound(110 lbs) and the 22 MAG gutted him.  The R B was charging me, in the field, and I shot, aiming for his head, however as he ran his head was bobbing, and I hit him in the middle of his chest.  It blew his insides out his butt, and he looked like a stovepipe after being shot. Don't mean to be insensitive, but that pack of dogs cost us thousands that year until we thinned them out. There were 7 "city" dogs, (Rented farm was in the city limits),  in the pack. We eliminated 5 of them, German Shephard, Doberman, and Red Bone hound, along with 2 smaller house dogs. Never had another calf maimed or killed after that incident. This was back in the early 80's.  A calf with its ears or tailed maimed would sell for half what a normal calf would bring plus they outright killed 12 calves. 

The 22 mag rifle really surprised me how much power it has over a regular 22 LR. I diffidently encourage the 22 mag for your job, but don't know how effective it will be out of a shorter brl revolver. Sure worked great, out of a rifle, for me. I believe that hound would have attacked me, judging from the way he was charging me in that open field. Was glad I dropped him about 30 yards in front of me. The property owner and my father in law was on the opposite side of the pack from me. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 3

We are old time single six affectionadoes... Ya cant beat em... The problem is price... Im likin the new Ruger Wrangler more n more... Its hard to beat a Ruger built pistola for 200 smacks... Buds has em now...

I may bust a small piggy bank n gather one up soon... I simply dont think ya can beat em...

leroy...

10 hours ago, pop pop said:

I had an experience with a 22 mag rifle on a dog pack that were killing our calves, several years ago. I shot a Red Bone hound(110 lbs) and the 22 MAG gutted him.  The R B was charging me, in the field, and I shot, aiming for his head, however as he ran his head was bobbing, and I hit him in the middle of his chest.  It blew his insides out his butt, and he looked like a stovepipe after being shot. Don't mean to be insensitive, but that pack of dogs cost us thousands that year until we thinned them out. There were 7 "city" dogs, (Rented farm was in the city limits),  in the pack. We eliminated 5 of them, German Shephard, Doberman, and Red Bone hound, along with 2 smaller house dogs. Never had another calf maimed or killed after that incident. This was back in the early 80's.  A calf with its ears or tailed maimed would sell for half what a normal calf would bring plus they outright killed 12 calves. 

The 22 mag rifle really surprised me how much power it has over a regular 22 LR. I diffidently encourage the 22 mag for your job, but don't know how effective it will be out of a shorter brl revolver. Sure worked great, out of a rifle, for me. I believe that hound would have attacked me, judging from the way he was charging me in that open field. Was glad I dropped him about 30 yards in front of me. The property owner and my father in law was on the opposite side of the pack from me. 

Gotta say that I am impressed that a .22 WMR would do that to a full grown dog, even coming from a rifle.  

I totally get what your saying about the loss of calves that coyotes or pack dogs can do.  They have been he scourge of some of the farms around.  Sadly, you can see an otherwise sensible dog go ape _ _ _ _  crazy when he gets with a pack.  For that matter, so do some people.

Thanks for your comments.

12 hours ago, Garufa said:

The cool thing about the Heritage Rough Rider is you can get one with a 16" barrel. 

spacer.png

Wow, I like my 9.5" Single Six but people give me a hard time, can't imagine what they would say with a 16" barrel. I bought mine because a friend has one and I always liked it. I gave him a hard time about being a better shot than me because he was closer to the target.

• Like 1

I had a Heritage revolver, but sold it to a guy at work who wanted something cheap to keep in a tractor. It was cheaply made, but shot well, had a good trigger, and was accurate and shot to the point of aim. I guess that’s about all you could hope for in a $100 revolver.

As far as the 22 magnum in a revolver, all I feel you are getting over the 22lr is more muzzle blast, noise, and expense.

For what you’ve described, I would prefer a rifle.

I was thinking about getting a Heritage but opted for the EAA Bounty Hunter with the extra .22 mag cylinder.  It was similar in size to my .357 single actions and would readily fit my holsters.  I have been very pleased with it so far.  I may get a Wrangler, just because.

On 3/2/2021 at 8:17 AM, Garufa said:

The cool thing about the Heritage Rough Rider is you can get one with a 16" barrel. 

spacer.png

That will take 15 seconds or more just to clear the holster!!!

• 1 year later...