Dash Cams

I use GoPro in the front and back after an incident about 3 years ago....

Guy in a red Dodge Neon with temp tag tried to run me off the road multiple times for no reason at all in Old Hickory. Then when he pulled over by the baseball field in that church parking lot, I was trying to get a picture of his license plate, he pulled a knife.

When he jumped out of his car and pulled the knife, I was rolling down the window. He seen my uniform, jumped in his car and took off. 

If I had a camera, I'm sure he'd got caught.

I called Metro Police and they were no help. They told me stop following his car and then they just took a report once they finally showed up.

They never caught him to my knowledge because I never got a phone call.

• Sad 1

Oh, and bolo for the wannabe cop that rides from Lebanon toward Nashville on I40 that has an old unmarked black Ford Crown Victoria police interceptor with a commercial license plate that was going over well 100mph cutting in and out of cars . He had a Nissan Titan trying to follow -- probably trying to turn him in as well.

Once I got close to get a license plate, he kept slamming his brakes on and flashed white LED's.

First time he slammed the brakes on, I was on the bridge at the damn on I40 and I about ate his ass end. I was in an old Tacoma and that POS doesn't stop or do anything well. Friggin' idiot. 

When I think he noticed I had GoPro cameras and was in my uniform, he floored it just past Stewarts Ferry exit ad disappeared.

I did call it in and gave them his license number (TN# CP74949) [H1-9000 down where county should be]).

• Like 2
6 hours ago, lock n' load said:

This brings a question to mind. If pulled over and I have a dash cam running, do I let the officer know upfront or wait and see if they ask me about it? I'm currently looking at this one to buy..

https://www.amazon.com/N2-Pro-Infrared-1920x1080P-2560x1440P/dp/B0742J69SQ/?_encoding=UTF8&pf_rd_p=3916d856-3bce-4f10-8f05-902be920fe19&pd_rd_wg=h4HzF&pf_rd_r=BEKBDRQ3W271MNC9TSYF&pd_rd_w=gXZi3&pd_rd_r=a442af46-1fde-4e02-b777-bda50f9b7405&ref_=ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

I would wait and see if he notices it. Most cops are good ones. I've been pulled over by only one, that seemed a little like he was on his monthly.

2 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

I think they should just crush those old cruisers, I see one from time to time still has the spot light on it. Too easy for some scum bag to use it as a way to either speed or pull over people.

Right here… this clown. 

38ED52A7-4A27-4465-AA4C-A6F95C9280F3.thumb.jpeg.f9007a06089cd675a9bf4ee109d26316.jpeg

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Right here… this clown. 

38ED52A7-4A27-4465-AA4C-A6F95C9280F3.thumb.jpeg.f9007a06089cd675a9bf4ee109d26316.jpeg

private security company. unless you are an on duty law enforcement officer, following a speeder is a ticket able offense that adds danger to an already dangerous situation.  your admission to tailgating in an old Tacoma POS makes me more worried about your driving than his. at least when I go triple digits it's in something capable of doing so safely.

first car I owned after getting my license was a solid white like this one. retired cop cars are a great resource for second cars or people with small budget. they are well maintained and tough so they hold up well. they also provide some return on taxpayer investment.

image.png.d74f21c6b35c9528d62f8acfa5ac7740.png

Edited by papa61
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, papa61 said:

private security company. unless you are an on duty law enforcement officer, following a speeder is a ticket able offense that adds danger to an already dangerous situation.  your admission to tailgating in an old Tacoma POS makes me more worried about your driving than his. at least when I go triple digits it's in something capable of doing so safely.

You assume way too much... smh

I never had to go triple digits. He got stuck behind traffic. 

I'm well aware of the law...

It's not illegal for me to get a license number and report road rage, carless / reckless driving. 

The picture is a crop and I assure you I wasn't tailgating,. My vision and camera  is good enough to maintain safe distance to get his license plate info.

Obviously, he was doing more than just speeding because I don't waste my time trying to report speeders.

Like weaving in and out of traffic dangerously at a high rate of speed, then get's in my lane and slams on the brakes and illegally uses his white LED's.

Fwiw... I have seen the guy driving dangerously before down I40, but since this incident, he must be taking a different route as I've not seen him in a couple weeks. 

So any Lebanon, Mt Juliet or Metro LEO's on here, bolo. 

I think this guy in the crown vic is one of these types...

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/police-man-posing-as-cop-pulled-gun-during-nashville-road-rage-incident

Edited by JohnC
12 hours ago, lock n' load said:

This brings a question to mind. If pulled over and I have a dash cam running, do I let the officer know upfront or wait and see if they ask me about it? I'm currently looking at this one to buy..

https://www.amazon.com/N2-Pro-Infrared-1920x1080P-2560x1440P/dp/B0742J69SQ/?_encoding=UTF8&pf_rd_p=3916d856-3bce-4f10-8f05-902be920fe19&pd_rd_wg=h4HzF&pf_rd_r=BEKBDRQ3W271MNC9TSYF&pd_rd_w=gXZi3&pd_rd_r=a442af46-1fde-4e02-b777-bda50f9b7405&ref_=ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

What would be the purpose of having a camera recording the interior of the vehicle? I really dont see that need for me, but if I were UBER or something like that I could see the need.

15 minutes ago, buck1032 said:

What would be the purpose of having a camera recording the interior of the vehicle? I really dont see that need for me, but if I were UBER or something like that I could see the need.

My reasoning is mostlly based on a situation that happened to a friend of a coworker. He apparently got involved in some road rage incident in which a gun was supposedly displayed. From my understanding he was in some serious trouble and eventually went to court to answer the charges. The case was postponed on several different occasions because the "victim" never showed up to testify and the case was eventually dismissed. He was out of tens of thousands of dollars in attorney's fees because of that accusation though. Dunno if he could sue the accuser to recoup attorney's fee or not though.. Since I drive armed 99.9% of the time,I just want to kind of protect myself from some vindictive road rage driver who may try to say I did something like that. I still haven't decided if I will get one or not but the thought of losing all that money over a false accusation is scary.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Quavodus said:

At 1:27 did the guy in the car shoot his windshield?

The other guy didn't fire, just brandished. What you are hearing and seeing is the guy(the one recording) firing rounds through his windshield at the car. I have no idea how he wasn't charged. 

• Wow 1

Just picked me up the Vantrue N2 Pro. I was looking forward to mounting it when I came across an article about dash cams and found out that the ones that mount to your windshield are illegal in some states like GA & AL. I have a GPS mount that I've used before that mounts to my windshield and never had issues. Does anyone on here who uses a dashcam mount them to the dash instead of the windshield? Below is the article I found.

https://www.lifewire.com/aare-dash-cams-legal-534879

Edit:

I finally found a mount that attaches to the rear view mirror. Hopefully this will work.

Edited by lock n' load

I have them in 4 cars. Not sure the brand. There is a local guy that installs them for me.  I always get the ones with 2 cameras front and back.  I have them in my daughters car as well and can track her if need be with it.  I had a Lexus LS 460 one week and a guy side swiped  me on a little curvy road close to home. I saw it coming as was almost stopped and in the ditch trying to avoid him.  He was clearly way on my side of the road.  He was very sorry when we talked while waiting for LE to arrive. Funny he was not sure he had crossed the center line when talking to LE. Fortunately the officer could tell what really happened and placed the blame on the guilty party. I had the car for one week and had to gotten the cams put in yet so it was my word and the experience of the officer that had me covered.  Love the dash cams.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, 45guy said:

I have them in 4 cars. Not sure the brand. There is a local guy that installs them for me.  I always get the ones with 2 cameras front and back.  I have them in my daughters car as well and can track her if need be with it.  I had a Lexus LS 460 one week and a guy side swiped  me on a little curvy road close to home. I saw it coming as was almost stopped and in the ditch trying to avoid him.  He was clearly way on my side of the road.  He was very sorry when we talked while waiting for LE to arrive. Funny he was not sure he had crossed the center line when talking to LE. Fortunately the officer could tell what really happened and placed the blame on the guilty party. I had the car for one week and had to gotten the cams put in yet so it was my word and the experience of the officer that had me covered.  Love the dash cams.

What brand?

• 9 months later...

I have one in each of the vehicles I drive.  It has saved my butt in one accident in La Vergne.

But for yesterday it just shows how quick things can go side ways.  Glad the audio recording was turned off on it as it would have one long bleep.  Just as the guy I was on the phone with.

Edited by Verne
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

Pucker Factor was unmeasurable.  Add to the whole thing I was driving my sisters car.

All I could think was if this hits the windshield, if I survived,  the CRV is totaled.  After the first tire I would never have thought there would have been a second one for about what seems like half a second.

Dash cameras are awesome and they sure help officers that are working a crash. It sometimes shows who is lying and who is not. I was working a crash where one truck t-boned another. Both said they each had a green light. The victim showed me his dash camera and he clearly had a green light and the other truck ran the red light. The guy that ran the red light lied to me after I gave him another chance. I then showed him other guy's video and he tucked his tail between his legs after that. 

• Like 2