Memphis Folks: Good Lunch Spots Near Memphis?

• Moderators

What do you think you’d want to eat?

If you want BBQ, I got an answer for that. If you want catfish, I got an answer for that. You want other random food, I got answers for that. 😂 

Folks can say what they want about Memphis, but we got the best food in the state. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I’m going to give you a different recommendation than @Chucktshoeson barbecue - but Central BBQ is my favorite.  The one downtown by the Lorraine Motel.

Tourist trap.  The original on Central in Midtown is much better.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Moderators

@MacGyvercalled it. He knows my picks. (Central is really good, but @Garufa is right. Go to the original on Central.)  I’ll throw another one in there, Cozy Corner BBQ on N. Parkway it’s over by St. Jude. Get the Cornish Hens. They’re amazing. 

If you’re feeling catfish, go to Soulfish. If you want Mexican, Las Delicias is my pick. If you want some friend chicken, Gus’s Fried Chicken either downtown or on Mendenhall. Only those two as you won’t be anywhere near the original out in Mason. 

If you’re feeling adventurous, there are lots of great little cafes in midtown. Just pick any one and give it go. 

If you just want some good bar style sandwiches, burgers and such, Young Avenue Deli. Their cheese fries are the best. 

Its amazing how I didn’t get fat until after I left Memphis. 😂😂😂

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

What do you think you’d want to eat?

If you want BBQ, I got an answer for that. If you want catfish, I got an answer for that. You want other random food, I got answers for that. 😂 

Folks can say what they want about Memphis, but we got the best food in the state. 

I like BBQ, (I'm originally from Kansas City), but I don't care for "Memphis" style if Whitt's BBQ is a true representation of that style. I went there ONCE here in Nashville and was offended by it. 🤢

I hate fish, but I like a good meat and three. My wife would turn down Mexican and I don't care for Chinese.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, E4 No More said:

I like BBQ, (I'm originally from Kansas City), but I don't care for "Memphis" style if Whitt's BBQ is a true representation of that style. I went there ONCE here in Nashville and was offended by it. 🤢

I hate fish, but I like a good meat and three. My wife would turn down Mexican and I don't care for Chinese.

Memphis BBQ doesn’t exist outside of Memphis. But if you’re from KC, your tastebuds may have been irrevocably damaged in childhood. I’ll pray for ya. 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
9 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

@MacGyvercalled it. He knows my picks. (Central is really good, but @Garufa is right. Go to the original on Central.)  I’ll throw another one in there, Cozy Corner BBQ on N. Parkway it’s over by St. Jude. Get the Cornish Hens. They’re amazing. 

If you’re feeling catfish, go to Soulfish. If you want Mexican, Las Delicias is my pick. If you want some friend chicken, Gus’s Fried Chicken either downtown or on Mendenhall. Only those two as you won’t be anywhere near the original out in Mason. 

If you’re feeling adventurous, there are lots of great little cafes in midtown. Just pick any one and give it go. 

If you just want some good bar style sandwiches, burgers and such, Young Avenue Deli. Their cheese fries are the best. 

We ate at the Gus' Fried Chicken in Knoxville. It was alright, but not the hot chicken I'm used to in Nashville. @MacGyver can testify to my idea of hot chicken - although I'm finding that comes at a cost as I get older.

Edited by E4 No More
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Memphis BBQ doesn’t exist outside of Memphis. But if you’re from KC, your tastebuds may have been irrevocably damaged in childhood. I’ll pray for ya. 😂

You're nuts! Reduced and smoked BBQ sauce on ribs or brisket is da-bomb!

• Haha 1

Hell, just find the closest Tops BBQ  (which on the low end of what is available locally) to the interstate and you’ll have better than what is available in the rest of the state.  Their burgers are fantastic as well.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 4
1 minute ago, Chucktshoes said:

Dry rub is the way. I’ll take it every time over the ketchup on burnt beef they call BBQ in KC. 

You were definitely eating at the wrong place then. I've been down here for 23 years now, but there were places like Bryant's that were excellent. Bryant's has had more than one President eat there, but they went downhill after the old man died and his daughter took over. He used to make all of his sauce at once for the whole year. Once he ran out he closed for vacation. He stored it in big glass containers in his front window. The trick was getting it as aged as you could before he ran out.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

You were definitely eating at the wrong place then. I've been down here for 23 years now, but there were places like Bryant's that were excellent. Bryant's has had more than one President eat there, but they went downhill after the old man died and his daughter took over. He used to make all of his sauce at once for the whole year. Once he ran out he closed for vacation. He stored it in big glass containers in his front window. The trick was getting it as aged as you could before he ran out.

This is an argument that has been raging for decades, and we won’t ever see eye to eye on it. At least not unless you experience a miracle and have your tastebuds healed. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And if you want the best pulled pork anywhere detour through North Alabama and go to Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur Alabama.  Ten times best pulled pork and 5 times Grand Champion at Memphis In May.  The Memphis BBQ joints can't touch it for pulled pork (or BBQ chicken with white sauce).

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, A516 said:

And if you want the best pulled pork anywhere detour through North Alabama and go to Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur Alabama.  Ten times best pulled pork and 5 times Grand Champion at Memphis In May.  The Memphis BBQ joints can't touch it for pulled pork (or BBQ chicken with white sauce).

It’s a good thing you’ll never find that foul abhorrence of “white sauce” in Memphis.  Proper people do not slather mayonnaise on BBQ.  It’s why Alabama is just wrong.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Moderators
6 minutes ago, A516 said:

White sauce is a heathen concoction that’s what happens when you leave bored white people alone in the kitchen too long. 

• Like 2

Uh Guys, they're taking about stopping for lunch. Not a full course meal. 🙄

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Hell, just find the closest Tops BBQ  (which on the low end of what is available locally) to the interstate and you’ll have better than what is available in the rest of the state.  Their burgers are fantastic as well.

I completely agree. If all you want is a good lunch, just hit the nearest Tops. They're all over town as its a local franchise.  Many are near interstate exits. The best Bar-B-Que sandwich in town without the tourist trap prices. And as Garufa pointed out, great cooked to order burgers too. 

• Admin Team
1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

We ate at the Gus' Fried Chicken in Knoxville. It was alright, but not the hot chicken I'm used to in Nashville. @MacGyver can testify to my idea of hot chicken - although I'm finding that comes at a cost as I get older.

There’s a big stretch of not much between Memphis and Hope.

You better pitch it down the center and play it safe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Whether you like white sauce or not, no place in Memphis (or west Tennessee for that matter) can close to Big Bob Gibson's pulled pork.  Drive down from east Tennessee periodically to eat at Big Bob Gibson's.  

2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Outside of home cooking, Cozy Corner has the best ribs I’ve ever tasted. 

• Like 3
  • Admin Team

I had something at BIg Bob Gibsons years ago that changed every bad thing I ever said about Alabama.

Pork tenderloin is generally good enough alone. But they’ve taken it, cut it into strips, wrapped it in pinwheels with bacon, grilled it, then served it with a pecan bourbon sauce.  It’s a little piece of heaven. 

edit to add: they published the recipe: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pecan-crusted-pork-tenderloin-pinwheels-with-carolina-mustard-sauce-352954/amp

• Like 1

My buddy and I always go to Decatur a couple of times a summer to play a round of golf at Point Mallard and then have dinner at Big Bobs. The BBQ is great, the sweat tea is made correctly (real sugar) and the chocolate pie is delicious. 
Their white sauce is great but only belongs on poultry, chicken/turkey.