Memphis Folks: Good Lunch Spots Near Memphis?

43 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Brioche bun indeed.  Heresy.  Did you have a latte or some fancy craft beer with it?

Damn right I did. 🙂 Say what you want about the hipsters but they make good food. 

34 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I’ve been giving @E4 No More hell about his broken tastebuds, but he should be thankful because apparently it could be far, far worse. 

I'm serious. Some of these places are just not great and it's clear people only go there for nostalgia. Knoxville people will know this about places like Big Ed's. I've been repeatedly disappointed by some of the mom n pop BBQ joints that I've been too. There are many low effort places still hanging on that may have been good in the past, but aren't any more. 

2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Unpopular opinion coming. The best BBQ I've ever had hasn't been from the old-timey traditional places where you just get a low quality bun and a slab of meat. I swear some of those "original" places have served me sides that were premade, out of a tub.  I ate at Central BBQ in Memphis in 2019. It was good but it didn't blow my mind. 

This best BBQ I've ever had has been in Orlando and here in Knoxville. Honestly, the more modern takes on BBQ are a lot better. This is my all time favorite. The Texas Destroyer by 4 Rivers Smokehouse in Orlando. Signature Angus brisket, topped with onion rings, jalapeños, melted provolone, served on a brioche bun and smothered in 4R Signature Sauce.

https://www.southernliving.com/travel/4-rivers-smokehouse

+1 to that. 4-Rivers is really good. I've hit the one in Gainesville (which has the added bonus of having an attached 4-Rivers bakery for fresh baked cakes/pies/cookies/whatever), Tallahassee, and Winter Garden. I've never been disappointed.

On 3/4/2021 at 3:45 PM, Erik88 said:

Unpopular opinion coming. The best BBQ I've ever had hasn't been from the old-timey traditional places where you just get a low quality bun and a slab of meat. I swear some of those "original" places have served me sides that were premade, out of a tub.  I ate at Central BBQ in Memphis in 2019. It was good but it didn't blow my mind. 

This best BBQ I've ever had has been in Orlando and here in Knoxville. Honestly, the more modern takes on BBQ are a lot better. This is my all time favorite. The Texas Destroyer by 4 Rivers Smokehouse in Orlando. Signature Angus brisket, topped with onion rings, jalapeños, melted provolone, served on a brioche bun and smothered in 4R Signature Sauce.

https://www.southernliving.com/travel/4-rivers-smokehouse

image.png.9dbd044220316e186294aa37951f251a.png

BRISKET IS NOT BBQ!!!!

On 3/4/2021 at 3:46 PM, E4 No More said:

Well, the "boss" has decided that she's interested in The Cupboard. I'd prefer BBQ, but if she ain't happy; you ain't happy! Thanks for the input guys!

The Cupboard is good.   It is in no way convenient for me and I despise heading in that direction but I try to get down there a few times a year.   It's worth it.  

• Like 1

Well, the wife and I ate at The Cupboard on the way there, and at Tops BBQ on the way back.

The Cupboard was good although pricey for the size of the serving that I got. I had the chicken fried chicken (that was about the size of two smallish chicken fingers) w/mashed potatoes and slaw whereas the wife had breakfast. I cleaned my plate which wasn't hard to do.

Tops was good although I think it wasn't vastly better than Famous Dave's. It was certainly different than Famous Dave's because of the hot BBQ sauce was very different. Chris loved their cheeseburger. It didn't help that we had to eat outside with the vagrants, (for lack of a better term), talking to their selves as they walked by us. I would have liked to have tried Central BBQ, but we didn't want to get way off the Interstate to get there.

Surprisingly, on Saturday we ate at a small family restaurant called Sheba's off exit 30 in Hope Arkansas that was fantastic! I had their chicken fried steak w/mashed potatoes, milk gravy, and carrots. My large oval dinner plate was completely covered, and I ate every bit of it.

This is why we like to eat at small, local restaurants when we travel. They can really surprise you.

29 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Well, the wife and I ate at The Cupboard on the way there, and at Tops BBQ on the way back.

The Cupboard was good although pricey for the size of the serving that I got. I had the chicken fried chicken (that was about the size of two smallish chicken fingers) w/mashed potatoes and slaw whereas the wife had breakfast. I cleaned my plate which wasn't hard to do.

Tops was good although I think it wasn't vastly better than Famous Dave's. It was certainly different than Famous Dave's because of the hot BBQ sauce was very different. Chris loved their cheeseburger. It didn't help that we had to eat outside with the vagrants, (for lack of a better term), talking to their selves as they walked by us. I would have liked to have tried Central BBQ, but we didn't want to get way off the Interstate to get there.

Surprisingly, on Saturday we ate at a small family restaurant called Sheba's off exit 30 in Hope Arkansas that was fantastic! I had their chicken fried steak w/mashed potatoes, milk gravy, and carrots. My large oval dinner plate was completely covered, and I ate every bit of it.

This is why we like to eat at small, local restaurants when we travel. They can really surprise you.

That's surprising about Cupboard.  I never suffer to have enough food and their prices are cheap.   Tops is garbage though so I'm not surprised you weren't blown away.  

On 3/3/2021 at 9:50 PM, deerslayer said:

Forget all the BBQ war BS and stop by Memphis Mojo.  It’s a hole-in-the-wall burger joint five minutes north of I-40 exit 15.  

They are damn good.... have you tried Wally hatchets?  6439 Summer Ave  his BLT burgers is right up there with mojo's and the rest of his food is good too.

14 hours ago, ou812 said:

If y'all have not tried, THE ONE and ONLY BBQ need to give it a try and Baby Jacks in Bartlett!

One and Only was okay when I tried it but not great.   Baby Jacks is great.   I don't even need sauce with their meat.   I love Baby Jacks!  

14 hours ago, ou812 said:

They are damn good.... have you tried Wally hatchets?  6439 Summer Ave  his BLT burgers is right up there with mojo's and the rest of his food is good too.

I haven't tried WH but I've been meaning to. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I once made this same statement to a group of Texans in a hole in the wall restaurant in Abilene and my opinion was not well received.  The brisket was damn good, though. 

Brisket is my favorite. I also like baby back ribs, ham, and turkey. I don't much care for pulled pork.

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Brisket is my favorite. I also like baby back ribs, ham, and turkey. I don't much care for pulled pork.

The damage is worse than I thought. I’ll add you to the congregation’s prayer lists. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Snaveba said:

Why is brisket not BBQ?  BBQ is a cooking method, not a particular meat. 

I hate it when someone says “I’m going to BBQ”, then they grill burgers and dogs. 

Because if it ain’t pork, it ain’t ‘Cue. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
Just now, KahrMan said:

Come on now, it is 2021.  Don't you know that

All Meats Matter

I am actually a huge fan of brisket. But brisket is brisket and ‘cue is cue. 

2021 is weird. Folks all of sudden keep trying to call things by names they clearly are not. 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Because if it ain’t pork, it ain’t ‘Cue. 

Where does it say BBQ has to be pork? 
I love me some pulled pork and ribs, but I will stand by my statement that it’s a cooking method, not a meat. 

12 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

I love me some pulled pork and ribs, but I will stand by my statement that it’s a cooking method, not a meat. 

At the big BBQ competitions they smoke, rub and sauce all sorts of meat. Even snake and gator. I once had BBQ shrimp in Texas that was awesome!

12 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

Samuel Johnson's 1756 dictionary gave the following definitions:

"To Barbecue – a term for dressing a whole hog" (attestation to Pope)

"Barbecue – a hog dressed whole"

• Admin Team

Yeah, if it’s between 225 and 275 over a fire, it’s barbecue as far as I’m concerned.

I got in trouble one time when I was in texas and tried to order a pork sandwich.  They assured me that they didn’t do that in Texas.

I’ll grant this - subpar brisket and subpar pork shoulder that have been held under a heat lamp or in a steam tray for longer than they should have been are both terrible excuses for meat. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
24 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

It is both a cooking method and a food. Verb vs noun. You can BBQ any meat, but as a food, it’s only pork and even more specifically, pulled or chopped pork shoulder/butt. Pork ribs are BBQ ribs. Beef ribs are exactly that, beef ribs. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1