Memphis Folks: Good Lunch Spots Near Memphis?

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Yeah, if it’s between 225 and 275 over a fire, it’s barbecue as far as I’m concerned.

I got in trouble one time when I was in texas and tried to order a pork sandwich.  They assured me that they didn’t do that in Texas.

I’ll grant this - subpar brisket and subpar pork shoulder that have been held under a heat lamp or in a steam tray for longer than they should have been are both terrible excuses for meat. 

I liked the last part, but your temps are a little high. 

1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

So, how do folks feel about fast food BBQ such as Buddy's? Not sure if Buddy's is a Knoxville only chain or not, but every time I eat there I end up questioning my life choices. 

You've seen a lot of the Memphians in here refer to Tops.   Tops is a fast food chain.   And like I said, the place is terrible.  

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

You've seen a lot of the Memphians in here refer to Tops.   Tops is a fast food chain.   And like I said, the place is terrible.  

Terrible, but better than any other chain barbecue restaurants i.e. buddiesTerrible, but better than any other chain barbecue restaurants i.e. buddies

• Like 1
  • Moderators
18 minutes ago, expendable said:

I’ve lived a lot of places and Memphis is the only place that restaurants with such a lack of cleanliness and piss poor service could stay in business as long as most of these around here. 

It boggles my mind!

Wut you need?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Erik88 said:

So, how do folks feel about fast food BBQ such as Buddy's? Not sure if Buddy's is a Knoxville only chain or not, but every time I eat there I end up questioning my life choices. 

After 30 years of living in Knoxville I have come to accept Buddy’s.  It is a Knoxville outfit but has expanded to other places in ET. 

The meat is not bad and is the only thing I buy there but it’s damn expensive for what it is. By “meat” I mean pork BBQ as is the way.  Sometimes I get a wild hair and make some Memphis style mustard slaw, get a pound of Buddy’s and some buns from the sto and have a little feast. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Buddy's is ok. Their meat is good, both pork and chicken. I dont care for their sauce and their sides are mediocre.  But the family pack is decent way to feed the kids. 

27 minutes ago, peejman said:

Buddy's is ok. Their meat is good, both pork and chicken. I dont care for their sauce and their sides are mediocre.  But the family pack is decent way to feed the kids. 

I want to like Buddy's. I'm just always disappointed with what I get. How's that Full Service in Maryville? The one in West Knoxville is good. 

49 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I want to like Buddy's. I'm just always disappointed with what I get. How's that Full Service in Maryville? The one in West Knoxville is good. 

Maryville Full Service is now great.  I say "now" because IMHO they went through a stretch of several months about a year ago where the meat seemed dried out.  That changed, probably a new chef I'm guessing, and now all is very well.

20 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

you can judge a person's  character with tops bbq... When I hear that a person like tops BBQ I am like...really...!  Now with that being said, I keep hearing they make good cheeseburgers even from people who agree their BBQ sucks.  

Edited by ou812
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Its very good. I think their prices have gotten high, but its good stuff.