Memphis Folks: Good Lunch Spots Near Memphis?

• Moderators

I gotta say, this thread has gone much more calmly than one might have expected. You get fans of BBQ from KC, Bama, and Memphis going in on it and you’ll normally find as heated of a debate as any found in the now departed politics section. 😂

• Like 3
  • Admin Team
3 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I gotta say, this thread has gone much more calmly than one might have expected. You get fans of BBQ from KC, Bama, and Memphis going in on it and you’ll normally find as heated of a debate as any found in the now departed politics section. 😂

The longer I live, the more I truly appreciate eating regional variants - and seeing how stuff has migrated with people.

We’ve all got our preferences I suppose. I love some Carolina mustard sauce.  Growing up in Georgia, I’ll take anything smoked over pecan wood. Heck, I’ve even come to appreciate Texas and the fact while you’d be hard pressed to find a proper pork sandwich in the state - they do a pretty good brisket.

I’m just thankful a thread on Memphis barbecue has made it this far without anyone calling those chargrilled things at the Rendezvous barbecue. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

The longer I live, the more I truly appreciate eating regional variants - and seeing how stuff has migrated with people.

We’ve all got our preferences I suppose. I love some Carolina mustard sauce.  Growing up in Georgia, I’ll take anything smoked over pecan wood. Heck, I’ve even come to appreciate Texas and the fact while you’d be hard pressed to find a proper pork sandwich in the state - they do a pretty good brisket.

I’m just thankful a thread on Memphis barbecue has made it this far without anyone calling those chargrilled things at the Rendezvous barbecue. 

Preach Neil Degrasse Tyson GIF

• Like 2
4 hours ago, E4 No More said:

I like BBQ, (I'm originally from Kansas City), but I don't care for "Memphis" style if Whitt's BBQ is a true representation of that style. I went there ONCE here in Nashville and was offended by it. 🤢

I hate fish, but I like a good meat and three. My wife would turn down Mexican and I don't care for Chinese.

Whitt’s is NOT Memphis style BBQ. It’s cr@p. I second and third Central BBQ on Central. As one of your sides, get the pork rinds. They fry them to order and they are still cracking on your plate. Sublime. 

If you like beef ribs, Interstate BBQ on South Third is the only place I know in Memphis to get them. 

Gus’s is also. Good, but it’s not Bolton’s or Prince’s. 

Heuy’s was always good for a burger and a beer. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators

If you’re in the mood for pizza, there’s always Memphis Pizza Cafe. They do a crisp, St. Louis style cracker crust that I really dig. I never knew that that style was originated in St. Louis  until I started spending a lot of time in MO. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

If you’re in the mood for pizza, there’s always Memphis Pizza Cafe. They do a crisp, St. Louis style cracker crust that I really dig. I never knew that that style was originated in St. Louis  until I started spending a lot of time in MO. 

There's not one really convenient for a quick hop-off-40-on-the-way-to-Arkansas lunch, but Memphis Pizza Cafe would be worthwhile.  I was livid when the one in Wolfchase closed and a nappy McAllister's opened where it used to be.  

• Like 1
  • Moderators
13 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

There's not one really convenient for a quick hop-off-40-on-the-way-to-Arkansas lunch, but Memphis Pizza Cafe would be worthwhile.  I was livid when the one in Wolfchase closed and a nappy McAllister's opened where it used to be.  

The one on Madison in midtown wouldn’t be hard to hit if they ran straight through the city instead of taking the loop around. 

If you want a real Memphis Original, Dyer’s Hamburgers. It moved from the original location about 20 years ago with much fanfare. Unless things have changed, they fry their burgers in grease. And they NEVER change the grease. They just add to it or the grease from the burgers keeps it replenished. When they moved the restaurant, they had a parade to move the grease from one location to the other. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

The one on Madison in midtown wouldn’t be hard to hit if they ran straight through the city instead of taking the loop around. 

Yep, 40 through Sam Cooper to E Parkway to Madison.  Just don’t end up on Union trying to get back to 240 north to 40.  The Union-Madison access to 240 has confused many an out-of-town type and more than a few locals.  

MPC gets my vote.  Slice of beef, slice of pepperoni, and a slice of Ultimate Cheese is my standard order.  Don’t even bring me a menu.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, Garufa said:

It’s a good thing you’ll never find that foul abhorrence of “white sauce” in Memphis.  Proper people do not slather mayonnaise on BBQ.  It’s why Alabama is just wrong.

Well that just sounds nasty.

13 hours ago, A516 said:

And if you want the best pulled pork anywhere detour through North Alabama and go to Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur Alabama.  Ten times best pulled pork and 5 times Grand Champion at Memphis In May.  The Memphis BBQ joints can't touch it for pulled pork (or BBQ chicken with white sauce).

That's not a detour; it's the wrong direction.

14 hours ago, Snaveba said:

Whitt’s is NOT Memphis style BBQ. It’s cr@p. I second and third Central BBQ on Central. As one of your sides, get the pork rinds. They fry them to order and they are still cracking on your plate. Sublime. 

If you like beef ribs, Interstate BBQ on South Third is the only place I know in Memphis to get them. 

Gus’s is also. Good, but it’s not Bolton’s or Prince’s. 

Heuy’s was always good for a burger and a beer. 

I’m fond of the chicken philly at Hueys. 

20 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I’m going to give you a different recommendation than @Chucktshoeson barbecue - but Central BBQ is my favorite.  The one downtown by the Lorraine Motel.

He’s gonna tell you Bar-b-cue Shop or Interstate and those are pretty good too.

Is there something I'm missing with the Central location in Nashville at Capital View, because I didn't think it was that good.  Certainly nowhere near Martin's, Edley's, or Jack of Hearts in Spring Hill (which is now sadly closed).

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Is there something I'm missing with the Central location in Nashville at Capital View, because I didn't think it was that good.  Certainly nowhere near Martin's, Edley's, or Jack of Hearts in Spring Hill (which is now sadly closed).

It's probably about personal taste. I've had Edley's and Martins and didn't like it. There used to be a BB's BBQ in Franklin that I thought was awesome.  They introduced me the the BBQ stuffed potato and made a huge fan out of me/

Not to sound like a heretic, but if I were dead set on a BBQ place, I would go to Baby Jack’s in Bartlett and get the smoked chicken (with sacrilegious white sauce) or Interstate on S Third and get the smoked turkey.  I have no idea how the pork BBQ is at either place 😜

• Like 1

Good advice from Deerslayer....my favorites....Cozy Corners...downtown...get the burnt ends or the Cornish hen...incredible.....Also,Central BBQ is very good locations in Collierville on Poplar, Memphis on Summer , or Midtown Memphis on Central.

• Admin Team
2 hours ago, btq96r said:

This would certainly get me run out on a rail in some circles - but I think it probably rounds to true.

Good barbecue is about a good pitmaster. And while you can scale a business model and franchise all day long - good pitmasters don’t scale.

So, you can have locations across chains that have widely varying quality of food. Mind you, any chain worth opening the doors ought to be able to do a decent pulled pork sandwich - but even that’s hard to do well when you do 150 shoulders a day.

I can’t even count the times I’ve had brisket or ribs in some famous place and thought - mine is better than this. If they’ve got more than one location, it’s almost guaranteed.

So, honestly if I’m eating in a chain, I’m often going to weight the sides in there as well. Sides are easier to scale up. 

If I’m eating in a place that I know has more than one location, it’s a pork sandwich and whatever your two best sides are. That’s the minimum bar - table stakes. If you can do that okay - I might come back and try something else. If you can’t - no hard feelings.

Here in Nashville and over in Memphis, there’s no lack of tourists to eat your mediocre food and buy your shirts. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Unpopular opinion coming. The best BBQ I've ever had hasn't been from the old-timey traditional places where you just get a low quality bun and a slab of meat. I swear some of those "original" places have served me sides that were premade, out of a tub.  I ate at Central BBQ in Memphis in 2019. It was good but it didn't blow my mind. 

This best BBQ I've ever had has been in Orlando and here in Knoxville. Honestly, the more modern takes on BBQ are a lot better. This is my all time favorite. The Texas Destroyer by 4 Rivers Smokehouse in Orlando. Signature Angus brisket, topped with onion rings, jalapeños, melted provolone, served on a brioche bun and smothered in 4R Signature Sauce.

https://www.southernliving.com/travel/4-rivers-smokehouse

image.png.9dbd044220316e186294aa37951f251a.png

• Confused 1
28 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Well, the "boss" has decided that she's interested in The Cupboard. I'd prefer BBQ, but if she ain't happy; you ain't happy! Thanks for the input guys!

If that’s the case there’s a Tops BBQ two blocks down the street across from Methodist hospital.  My favorite location actually. 😀

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Unpopular opinion coming. The best BBQ I've ever had hasn't been from the old-timey traditional places where you just get a low quality bun and a slab of meat. I swear some of those "original" places have served me sides that were premade, out of a tub.  I ate at Central BBQ in Memphis in 2019. It was good but it didn't blow my mind. 

This best BBQ I've ever had has been in Orlando and here in Knoxville. Honestly, the more modern takes on BBQ are a lot better. This is my all time favorite. The Texas Destroyer by 4 Rivers Smokehouse in Orlando. Signature Angus brisket, topped with onion rings, jalapeños, melted provolone, served on a brioche bun and smothered in 4R Signature Sauce.

Brioche bun indeed.  Heresy.  Did you have a latte or some fancy craft beer with it?

• Like 2
  • Moderators
53 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I’ve been giving @E4 No More hell about his broken tastebuds, but he should be thankful because apparently it could be far, far worse. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1