Walther's New PDP

TGO David

Good Morning ,O Great Leader! lol! Thought I'd butter you up a bit this morning. I'd like to ask a couple of questions today.

First off, I did get a PDP. A 4". And I love it! Planning on a Holosun as well.

Is the holster in the background of the above pic for the PDP? If so what is it? And in an earlier pic, you showed a TLR7 mounted, did it not suit you?

I've only gotten one range session in with my PDP, but it was as good a first impression from a pistol since my first 1911. LOL! The trigger was fantastic. I didn't believe I would like it more than the PPQ trigger, but I did. I need another session when the optics plate from Walther gets here. Another question, and I know I'll google C&H, but asking why you went that route instead of the plate from Walther. Next time out, I'd like to do a comparison with my Canik SFX, which has been one of my favorite range pistols.

Thanks for you input on the PDP, both all the previous and anything else you might give.  

Additional comment...I haven't found a Compact yet, but with my supply of PPQ 2 mags, I think I'm going to need another PDP. lol

It seems that the PPQ mags do not fit the PDP Full Size pistol, only the compact.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, hipower said:

Good Morning ,O Great Leader! lol! Thought I'd butter you up a bit this morning. I'd like to ask a couple of questions today.

Is the holster in the background of the above pic for the PDP? If so what is it? And in an earlier pic, you showed a TLR7 mounted, did it not suit you?

I've only gotten one range session in with my PDP, but it was as good a first impression from a pistol since my first 1911. LOL! The trigger was fantastic. I didn't believe I would like it more than the PPQ trigger, but I did. I need another session when the optics plate from Walther gets here. Another question, and I know I'll google C&H, but asking why you went that route instead of the plate from Walther. Next time out, I'd like to do a comparison with my Canik SFX, which has been one of my favorite range pistols.

Thanks for you input on the PDP, both all the previous and anything else you might give.  

Additional comment...I haven't found a Compact yet, but with my supply of PPQ 2 mags, I think I'm going to need another PDP. lol

It seems that the PPQ mags do not fit the PDP Full Size pistol, only the compact.

I can't speak for David, but after seeing his initial response bout going for the C&H plate. I did as well and it was a wise, if not costly choice.  It sits a bit lower, has a "recoil" shelf at the front and uses threaded post to get a better thread engagement for the optic. I have the Walther plate as well and would work just fine, but the C&H "mil-spec" is much better.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
5 hours ago, hipower said:

😄

That holster is the PHLSTER Floodlight.  It's made for PHLSTER by the folks behind some of my favorite gun-specific holsters, Henry Holsters.  The advantage of the Floodlight design is that it's fairly universal for a wide range of guns since the weaponlight itself is what provides the retention.

I also have a holster for the PDP without any light whatsoever from Tenicor called the CERTUM3, and a holster for use with the TLR7 from Texas Holster Solutions, called the Pierce.  I'll post a pic of it below.  I also have a TLR7 holster coming from McKinaTec but I haven't received it yet so I don't feel comfortable recommending it sight-unseen.

i-hfD4wmf-X3.jpg
Texas Holster Solutions "Pierce"

Let me talk about that Surefire X300UB light and PHLSTER Floodlight holster some more, though:

I am using that light and holster combination for several reasons.  First, the X300UA light puts out 1,000 Lumens in a beam pattern and light temperature that really throws some illumination on a target.  It's 1,000 usable Lumens and that can mean the difference between a bright light that just blinds you behind the gun, or a bright light that lets you identify a target and what they're holding from quite some distance away.  Daytime, night-time, indoor, outdoor.

Second, the longer holster honestly conceals BETTER for me and reduces the "hot" spots (pain points) that shorter Kydex holsters can cause when worn inside the waistband.  Think of that long holster as being the keel fin on a sailboat, and your belt-line being the water-line.   The extra length beneath the belt-line keeps the holster from wanting to shift around or "roll" at the belt.   I can wear this thing all day and barely notice it.  A shorter holster eventually starts to dig into my leg and cause a "hot" spot that rapidly makes it miserable once it begins.

Another question, and I know I'll google C&H, but asking why you went that route instead of the plate from Walther. Next time out, I'd like to do a comparison with my Canik SFX, which has been one of my favorite range pistols.

@Smith hit on some of the reasons to go with the C&H plate already.  I will add that the C&H plate is precision machined whereas the Walther plates are cast metal.  I've seen more than one person post that their Walther plates didn't fit perfectly flat in the pocket on the slide until they took a honing stone to them and flattened the bottom surface of the plate.

Yeah the PPQ M2 mags work with the compact but are too short for the 17rd full size.  🙂

Enjoy that gun and the second one you're going to buy too.  😄

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

😄

That holster is the PHLSTER Floodlight.  It's made for PHLSTER by the folks behind some of my favorite gun-specific holsters, Henry Holsters.  The advantage of the Floodlight design is that it's fairly universal for a wide range of guns since the weaponlight itself is what provides the retention.

I also have a holster for the PDP without any light whatsoever from Tenicor called the CERTUM3, and a holster for use with the TLR7 from Texas Holster Solutions, called the Pierce.  I'll post a pic of it below.  I also have a TLR7 holster coming from McKinaTec but I haven't received it yet so I don't feel comfortable recommending it sight-unseen.

i-hfD4wmf-X3.jpg
Texas Holster Solutions "Pierce"

Let me talk about that Surefire X300UB light and PHLSTER Floodlight holster some more, though:

I am using that light and holster combination for several reasons.  First, the X300UA light puts out 1,000 Lumens in a beam pattern and light temperature that really throws some illumination on a target.  It's 1,000 usable Lumens and that can mean the difference between a bright light that just blinds you behind the gun, or a bright light that lets you identify a target and what they're holding from quite some distance away.  Daytime, night-time, indoor, outdoor.

Second, the longer holster honestly conceals BETTER for me and reduces the "hot" spots (pain points) that shorter Kydex holsters can cause when worn inside the waistband.  Think of that long holster as being the keel fin on a sailboat, and your belt-line being the water-line.   The extra length beneath the belt-line keeps the holster from wanting to shift around or "roll" at the belt.   I can wear this thing all day and barely notice it.  A shorter holster eventually starts to dig into my leg and cause a "hot" spot that rapidly makes it miserable once it begins.

@Smith hit on some of the reasons to go with the C&H plate already.  I will add that the C&H plate is precision machined whereas the Walther plates are cast metal.  I've seen more than one person post that their Walther plates didn't fit perfectly flat in the pocket on the slide until they took a honing stone to them and flattened the bottom surface of the plate.

Yeah the PPQ M2 mags work with the compact but are too short for the 17rd full size.  🙂

Enjoy that gun and the second one you're going to buy too.  😄

Wow! Information overload! But thank you very much. I have gotten some very good thought on this since reading it. I do see that my BigBoy Toy Fund is going suffer quite a bit from all this. lol

Again, thank you.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

@TGO Davidane anyone else who may be carrying or considering carrying the PDP for defensive use, there is information you need to be made aware of. I confirmed this flaw of function with folks I know who have one. 

OBrCuqV.jpg

If I'm pushing my gun into someone then trying to shoot them afterwords, a whole lot is already wrong. I don't see this as a "flaw". Well, no more a flaw than polyagonal rifling or non fully supported chambers.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
16 minutes ago, Smith said:

If I'm pushing my gun into someone then trying to shoot them afterwords, a whole lot is already wrong. I don't see this as a "flaw". Well, no more a flaw than polyagonal rifling or non fully supported chambers.

I would agree that if you’re in that position a whole lot is already wrong. So much wrong that having a dead gun would make it unfathomably worse. 

If it’s not a worry for you, that’s great. For some folks it will be a deal breaker. Regardless, the key is that folks are aware of this particular quirk in function. 

1 minute ago, Chucktshoes said:

I would agree that if you’re in that position a whole lot is already wrong. So much wrong that having a dead gun would make it unfathomably worse. 

If it’s not a worry for you, that’s great. For some folks it will be a deal breaker. Regardless, the key is that folks are aware of this particular quirk in function. 

Yeah, some will. Of course I was more concerned with the slide stripping off Beretta 92FS's/M9's and they've been the military side arm since '85 or using ones hand to block the hammer in revolver/hammer fired guns. Again, good to know, but not really a realistic concern.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Smith said:

Yeah, some will. Of course I was more concerned with the slide stripping off Beretta 92FS's/M9's and they've been the military side arm since '85 or using ones hand to block the hammer in revolver/hammer fired guns. Again, good to know, but not really a realistic concern.

Considering the amount of high quality course material from high quality trainers built around ECQC, I’d venture that a lot of smarter, better trained, and more experienced people than me would say that you are incorrect in that view.

You’re not always going to see the attack coming. It is a possibility to end up on the ground with someone having hands on you fighting to get to/keep control of your defensive tools or having to make contact shots. It’s not an unknown or unconsidered issue.

As an example, my Hellcat has a stand-off device built into its guide rod to prevent exactly the kind of issue that will result in a PDP having a dead trigger. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Smith said:

Buddy, I've got to get with you soon. I apologize for not doing it sooner, but there's been a lot going on in the family and on the homestead recently. 

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Heads up for anyone with a full size PDP. I don't have one but I get emails from Walther. They just sent me this. I'm not sure if there was an issue with the mag design or..?

image.png.c3d3fc9898fe265db8e26460c4e689f5.png

Saw it as well, Erik, but haven't found anything in a few searches. Very puzzled. Wonder if this is why the mags are so difficult to fine?