Palmetto State Armory $329 shipped AR complete upper receiver

I've had an extra Anderson Lower receiver and PSA lower Parts Kit, as well as a generic carry handle laying around here for quite some time. I decided I'd order one of these upper receivers from PSA.

Bargain Basement Upper

It showed up today, not quite a week after I ordered it, so I ran a patch through the bore, sprayed the BCG with oil, and gave it a go.

I fired a couple of shots from about 20 yards offhand to verify where my sight were. That checked out ok, so I moved to the 100 yard bench.

B8b3kNg.jpg

The only frill on this carbine is the ambi safety, as I an southpaw challenged.

CteldQj.jpg

Here are the first 3 shots from the 100 yard bench. 2 clicks left, 1 click up, and I should be good to go.

Ammo consisted of various range brass, bulk 55 grain 223 fmj projectiles, CCI small rifle primers, and a max charge of IMR 4320.

This is a sample size of one, but based on my experience, I would recommend this particular upper.

I haven't found the blemish.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 6
12 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Anybody know what the round hole in the bottom front of the stock is for?   
The one in front of the adjustment trigger. Is it some way to mount a sling?

From the ridges it it, I would guess a Quick Release mount point fpr use with the sling swivel like in this pic.

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

I put a PSA rifle kit together for my brother that shoots like that one.

Honestly, every AR I’ve put together, or bought complete shoots like that. I tried real hard not to like them, but you just can’t argue with what they’ll do.

Just now, gregintenn said:

Honestly, every AR I’ve put together, or bought complete shoots like that. I tried real hard not to like them, but you just can’t argue with what they’ll do.

That's why I like them so much. They work real well, and easy to fix and upgrade.

3 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

It took you a minute to get on the bus - but we're glad you're here.

I really like the Magpul MS4 QDM sling. It's not the cheapest - but it fits me and my use case well.

LOL! I’m a little slow to warm up to something new. I still like my old school stuff.

Nice work there Greg, I to am late to the while AR thing, I had to get buy the "but it is just a 22 caliber" thing. After reading and watching I went into the platform head first. We now have 3, building 2 more from finish less uppers and lowers. It is the "Erector Set" of firearms.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I really like the Magpul MS4 QDM sling. It's not the cheapest - but it fits me and my use case well.

That's my favorite too. I have two of them. All my carbines have attachment points for two point and single point. The only thing I like better is Travis Haley's sling. I haven't liked it well enough to pay for it.

10 hours ago, gregintenn said:

LOL! I’m a little slow to warm up to something new. I still like my old school stuff.

I have seen some wood AR furniture. Was thinking the other day that it would be cool to have a deep blued one with nice walnut just for kicks and a throwback to those guns we drooled over growing up. 

Or maybe something like this

spacer.png

• Wow 1
15 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Now I see they have discontinued IMR 4320. Why can’t everybody just leave stuff alone?

There are all kinds of powder that work for 223/5.56, and with today's climate, that is a good thing.  Varget has been my choice for years, but will use others to save the varget for my .308.

1 hour ago, Omega said:

There are all kinds of powder that work for 223/5.56, and with today's climate, that is a good thing.  Varget has been my choice for years, but will use others to save the varget for my .308.

I just don’t like change.😀

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Omega said:

All kinds of powder may not shoot to the sights I’ve set on a large pile of ARs. A max charge of IMR 4320 does.

2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

All kinds of powder may not shoot to the sights I’ve set on a large pile of ARs. A max charge of IMR 4320 does.

Yea, I get it, we all have our favs.  But I have gotten to like load development, which I had to do last shortage.  Though I am good now, I am using my old SERE mantra, "go ugly early", and save the good stuff, for the good stuff.

2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

It’s a good thing that AR’s come with adjustable sights.  😝

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1