Coin question

I'm hoping somebody on here may have some knowledge about old coins just to give me a ballpark estimate on what they believe the value is on a silver dollar. From what I can tell it is a Morgan silver dollar 1893 with "s" mark on the back. Any help would be appreciated.  thanks

I’m no numismatist and don’t know a thing about coins but that appears to be one of the most valuable of Morgan’s.  

Don’t get too exited about that though, I just got my info from the internets.

Edited by Garufa

Researching in a few minute shows it's the key date Morgan, only 100,000 minted.

I'd send it to be graded & authenticated, PCGS or NGC grading service.

DO NOT Clean it!!!

Congrats on a fine coin.

Edited by AuEagle
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, AuEagle said:

Researching in a few minute shows it's the key date Morgan, only 100,000 minted.

I'd send it to be graded & authenticated, PCGS or NCG grading service.

DO NOT Clean it!!!

Congrats on a fine coin.

This. Grading is everything. 

Good advice here.  If this is an authentic 1893 "S" Morgan, it can be worth anywhere from a couple thousand to close to $100k for the circulated grades.  DO NOT CLEAN this coin.  In fact, don't touch it any more than necessary.  For the best estimate, spend the money to get it professionally graded.  When I was "into" coins, many years ago, PCGS was the "gold standard" of the grading services, although I understand that today the NGC slab is valued about the same.  Either one is fine.  Once it's graded, and "slabbed" (sealed away permanently in a plastic case, basically) you can ascertain for sure what you have and what it's worth.  You can research on either of these services' websites how to package, insure and send the coin to be graded.  PCGS also has their "photograde" service, where you can compare your coin to graded examples to see what grade it might receive.  This can be tricky if you're not familiar with what collectors look for, often times its as esoteric as how well a hairline shows up.  Certain coins are also known to have had either weak, or strong strikes, this effects the overall grade as well.  If there's a reputable coin dealer in your area you can take it in to get his opinion, and maybe have them submit the coin for grading if you're comfortable with that.  Good luck with it, if it turns out to be authentic you have found a rare one ...

• Like 1

Just an aside- My aunt gave me an old silver dollar when I was born (56, the coin was older but I don't know the date.) When I was 7 or so I took it to the corner market to buy some candy. The owner asked me if my parents knew I was spending it, I lied and told him they did, and he happily gave me a dollar's worth of candy for it. 

Edited by Darrell
16 hours ago, Pain103 said:

I'm hoping somebody on here may have some knowledge about old coins just to give me a ballpark estimate on what they believe the value is on a silver dollar. From what I can tell it is a Morgan silver dollar 1893 with "s" mark on the back. Any help would be appreciated.  thanks

Take it to The Coin Purse in Green Hills for an appraisal.  They have been around since the late '60s.  They will be able to give you some good advice on what your next steps should be.

https://coinpurse.com

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 1

While we're on the subject, I have part of my FIL's collection. Two good sized boxes. Mostly wheat pennies and buffalo nickles. I doubt if there's anything of real value in it, but I would like to get rid of them. Anybody know a reputable dealer in the Memphis area? 

18 hours ago, AuEagle said:

I'd send it to be graded & authenticated, PCGS or NGC grading service.

DO NOT Clean it!!!

Congrats on a fine coin.

If I was looking for advice in this area, Jim @AuEagle would be my go to guy.

Looks like you got a decent collection going. Silver coins are the way to go. Morgans, Peace, and Walking Libertys are good coins to buy. Gold is of course good but, the price of them is usually pretty high. Halves like Walking , or Franklins are good too. Keep it up.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, DJTC45 said:

I'm getting ready to get some Kennedys and Ben Franklin Half Dollars next. I'm going to try to buy 10-20oz a month from here on out, I'll try to get a few Gold ones every now and then.

Great start. I've been buying for 30 years. Great hobby and nothing like having it around.