Ammo Prices

• 4 weeks later...

Hear ya' all.  Possibly the. current prices and availability are the future of the shooting hobby (for the very rich only)

Who needs restrictive gun laws with prices like these?

Am currently exhausting my reloading supplies and then will ration my remaining loads as if they have to last the rest of my life...possibly so??

The good news is that I am pretty old 🤣

• Like 3
On 4/3/2021 at 4:53 PM, Snaveba said:

Academy Sports in Cool Springs has (or had) 200rnd green tip 5.56 for $129. They also have (or had) 150rnd boxes of  Frontier 5.56 (brass case, Hornady bullets) for $90. 

I think Cookeville Academy had that too, on Friiday.

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped at my local Dunham's today and they had a little bit of ammo on the shelf. 223, 308, 9mm, 12g, 20g, 410, and a bunch of "oddball" stuff. (Bunch being a relative term, a few boxes.) The prices were high, but not Gunbroker high.  I'm encouraged that I see a little more ammo a little more often.

4 hours ago, Garufa said:

Don’t count on it.  We’ll never see prices like 2-3 years ago again.

I thought pretty much the same thing, and stated that several times on here in 2013.  I was wrong ...

3 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

The current prices are what ammo really costs. It’s just been on a massive sale the last few years. 

Doubtful.  While I don't doubt that retail ammo prices have been depressed the last couple of years, mostly from overproduction and a slight lessening of demand, manufacturers have really good accountants who can do cost analysis to the point that they know exactly what each round costs at every stage of production and distribution.  If the true cost of ammo was much higher than it was selling for, you would have seen a gradual rise in retail prices, especially for the more popular calibers, most of which run at pretty much full production all the time ...

• Like 2

Just read today where copper prices have increased dramatically due to clean energy.  Demand for copper for electric transmission and such and the time required for mines to increase ore production will keep copper at higher prices per ton.  So, FMJ bullets may come around again but not like the ‘good old days’.

24 minutes ago, Beltfed said:

Just read today where copper prices have increased dramatically due to clean energy.  Demand for copper for electric transmission and such and the time required for mines to increase ore production will keep copper at higher prices per ton.  So, FMJ bullets may come around again but not like the ‘good old days’.

I have no doubt that all the emphasis on electrical grids, solar panels and the like will increase demand for copper.  Another reason for increased copper prices is the reopening of the economy.  Copper prices are considered an excellent leading indicator of economic activity, at the end of recessions copper always rises dramatically before settling back in to a more "normal" price.  As prices rise, mines are opened back up, recycling increases, and prices come back into down as demand and supply eventually reach equilibrium ...

• Like 2