Nashville Shootout Body Cam Footage

Just released, footage of the shootout at the Dollar General in Nashville.  Goes to show, you need to be on your toes even when all things seem calm.

Edited by Omega
speeling
26 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

I am kinda surprised that he allowed her to keep going back into the car. 
I was also surprised that after the shootout that he just watched her drive off without firing any more rounds. 

Well technically since she was retreating and no longer shooting at the officer then he can’t just shoot her.  That’s what all the stupid cop show gets wrong. You can chase them but unless they are actively aggressive and armed/firing then ya just can’t put them down even if they deserve it. 

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, dralarms said:

Well technically since she was retreating and no longer shooting at the officer then he can’t just shoot her.  That’s what all the stupid cop show gets wrong. You can chase them but unless they are actively aggressive and armed/firing then ya just can’t put them down even if they deserve it. 

You make a good point, but I was concerned for a moment that she was attempting to run over the officer with her vehicle. I could easily see him discharging his service weapon again at that point. He was either in shock or simply couldn’t regain his balance to fire again. 

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Links2k said:

You make a good point, but I was concerned for a moment that she was attempting to run over the officer with her vehicle. I could easily see him discharging his service weapon again at that point. He was either in shock or simply couldn’t regain his balance to fire again. 

True, honestly I didn’t watch the video. I’m just tired of everyone second guessing our cops without knowing what the law actually states. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, dralarms said:

True, honestly I didn’t watch the video. I’m just tired of everyone second guessing our cops without knowing what the law actually states. 

I would watch it. I actually think he would have no legal issues if he had continued firing. The threat wasn't over. 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I would watch it. I actually think he would have no legal issues if he had continued firing. The threat wasn't over. 

Ok I’ll admit when I’m wrong, in that situation he was perfectly within the law to keep firing, I suspect that he couldn’t for some reason.   It did sound from the narrative that the damage was already done and she died. 

the only thing he did wrong was not getting backup when she started squirrely 

• Like 2

If nothing else, it illustrates what Red333 said above.  Things can go sideways in  New York minute!  I imagine this video, or more likely the original unedited version of it will be become a training video at the police academy.  Prayers for the officer..  

Edited by Defender
  • Like 1
Just now, Defender said:

If nothing else, it illustrates what Red333 said above.  Things can go sideways in  New York minute! I wonder why he kept allowing her to go back to the car.  I imagine this video, or more likely the original unedited version if it will be become a training video at the police academy.  Prayers for the officer..  

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, chances R said:

The cop just took a round in the side.  He was probably in pain, shock, and in the process of dying.  

I’ll go ahead and be the jerk for saying it. The officer’s physical fitness was absolutely a contributing factor in him giving up the fight. 

I don’t mean that as a personal dig against the officer. I really do hope that he recovers quickly and without any lasting side effects. I don’t even have any criticisms of what led to the encounter. that said, it cannot be denied that his lack of physical conditioning is a clear contributing factor in how things played out.

This is some thing that has been weighing on me greatly recently. If I am not physically capable of remaining in the fight due to poor conditioning and lack of stamina, it doesn’t matter how much Gucci gear I have. It doesn’t matter how much training I have. All I’m doing is providing somebody else with some great stuff to pick up off my corpse. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

The officer’s physical fitness was absolutely a contributing factor in him giving up the fight. 

You said what I was thinking. He didn't have that fight to live mindset that you see in some of these videos. 

At this point, he was almost physically unable to sit up, and I don't think it was because he was shot.

image.png.2941cf4141bb9506f69ac89ee765894d.png

21 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

This is some thing that has been weighing on me greatly recently. If I am not physically capable of remaining in the fight due to poor conditioning and lack of stamina, it doesn’t matter how much Gucci gear I have.

I've mentioned this once before too. Physical fitness matters. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1

Well, lets look at it this way, both the LEO and the perp were not in the greatest shape.  But she had enough stamina to not only out maneuver him (she got back in the vehicle) , but to shake off the stun gun.  I don't think the probes worked though, but the contact stun did.  She then shoots him, and drives away, all this with arguably more severe wounds, so while his physical fitness played a part, IMO his mentality played a bigger part.

Or look at it this way, his xtra padding may have prevented more significant penetration.  No one knows the extent of eithers' wounds.  The perp may have been been struck once or several times.  It is really unfair to characterize the LEO from the confines of a comfy chair.  Certainly the tactics leading up to the shooting is one thing, but to act like you have knowledge of his 'will' is well....out of line.  

• Like 2

I'll simply say it looks like a good shoot to me. Too bad backup didn't arrive sooner. But then they may have had their hands full at the time too. Lots of valid points on other aspects of it, but I won't judge. The good guy won. That's all that really matters. 

I am 73 and my physical condition is sorely lacking due to age, weight, loss of strength caused by diabetic neuropathy, and several serious medical problems. All of you guys are headed in that direction, if you live to be a ripe old age,  so that, for me, does not translate into giving up on trying, to the best of my fading ability, to protect myself, or my loved ones, should I be "forced" "FORCED"  too. 

One thing the officer did have was mindset and will to finish the fight. He was put into the position of reacting to her pulling the pistol just like most private citizens will need to react too. Hard to start from behind the curve. Second guessing is immaterial really. It is what it is! 

De-escalation, the big catch all in Police work now, he tried, didn't work. Even the Chief brought that "word" out in his news interview.   If private citizen does not attempt to do that, in todays social climate, and for sure if there is a ethnicity difference, it could possibly look bad on his actions, even though we do not have a "must try to retreat law" in TN.  

De-escalation is the catch all now! We all had better get accustomed to it.  "What would a pier do if faced with the same situation as you were forced into." That is the standard all will face. If you can "get out of Dodge", you/we had better try to do it.   "Try to de-escalate" think about it???? 

Edited by pop pop

Biggest difference for me is I am not paid or required to close distance, lay hands on or stop folks for suspected illegal activity.

Evade / Escape would be my typical first response.

Maintaining a healthier weight is a good goal, outside of defending against a violent altercation.

Heart, joints, respiratory all benefit.

Anybody else notice the taser didn't turn the BG(irl) into a bowl full of jelly?

She was functional enough to present and shoot a handgun - I assume MN issues commercial grade tasers, not one of those $14.99 gun show "think-you- have-a-quality-flashlight-stun-gun combo weapon"

20 minutes ago, pop pop said:

I am 73 and my physical condition is sorely lacking due to age, weight, loss of strength caused by diabetic neuropathy, and several serious medical problems. All of you guys are headed in that direction, if you live to be a ripe old age,  so that, for me, does not translate into giving up on trying, to the best of my fading ability, to protect myself, or my loved ones, should I be "forced" "FORCED"  too. 

One thing the officer did have was mindset and will to finish the fight. He was put into the position of reacting to her pulling the pistol just like most private citizens will need to react too. Hard to start from behind the curve. Second guessing is immaterial really. It is what it is! 

De-escalation, the big catch all in Police work now, he tried, didn't work. Even the Chief brought that "word" out in his news interview.   If private citizen does not attempt to do that, in todays social climate, and for sure if there is a ethnicity difference, it could possibly look bad on his actions, even though we do not have a "must try to retreat law" in TN.  

De-escalation is the catch all now! We all had better get accustomed to it.  "What would a pier do if faced with the same situation as you were forced into." That is the standard all will face. If you can "get out of Dodge", you/we had better try to do it.   "Try to de-escalate" think about it???? 

You can de-escalate all you want, but when people are brainwashed into believing they are going to die if stopped by a police officer, this is what you get—a self-fulfilling prophecy.  

18 hours ago, Erik88 said:

You said what I was thinking. He didn't have that fight to live mindset that you see in some of these videos. 

At this point, he was almost physically unable to sit up, and I don't think it was because he was shot.

image.png.2941cf4141bb9506f69ac89ee765894d.png

I've mentioned this once before too. Physical fitness matters. 

Physical fitness is important, but I'm not convinced it mattered here.  I am easily 100 pounds lighter than this officer and I can run five or six miles without much too fuss, but I don't assume I would be able to jump right back up after being shot.  Mindset/survival instinct certainly plays a role and I don't know the officer's mindset or training, but I think we are jumping the gun assuming that his was lacking.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 3
6 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Mindset/survival instinct certainly plays a role and I don't know the officer's mindset or training, but I think we are jumping the gun assuming that his was lacking.  

I think you're right.  I didn't take a round to the gut so my comment wasn't fair. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
45 minutes ago, chances R said:

.....and surprise, Holbert's mother is considering hiring an attorney !  Said the police officer was trying to kill her using the taser, and she shot in self-defense and her death was unnecessary.  

Not surprised. But completely ridiculous. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, chances R said:

.....and surprise, Holbert's mother is considering hiring an attorney !  Said the police officer was trying to kill her using the taser, and she shot in self-defense and her death was unnecessary.  

She will get a settlement.