Jump to content

Did something I said I wouldn't do for a While


Recommended Posts

  • Administrator
14 minutes ago, Swamp ash said:

If you want to start a thread about your conspiracies with the Vaccination, then do so. In the meantime, you should consider that perhaps your comments in this thread may be discouraging to others, and quite frankly, that is unconscionable.

Maybe let the moderators do the moderating?

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
  • Administrator

https://apnews.com/article/germany-suspends-astrazeneca-vaccine-blood-clotting-0ab2c4fe13370c96c873e896387eb92f

"BERLIN (AP) — March 15th, 2021:  A cascading number of European countries — including Germany, France, Italy and Spain — suspended use of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine Monday over reports of dangerous blood clots in some recipients, though the company and international regulators say there is no evidence the shot is to blame."

 

 

My take-away from this:  The AstraZeneca vaccine is not approved for use in the US yet.  Might never be.  There have been deaths recorded with suspicious proximity to other COVID-19 vaccines being administered here in the US.  I've not yet seen whether blood clotting might have been a factor in the US deaths.

No one should feel pressured to take or not take the vaccine.  It's a personal decision.  Consider all of the information available, include factors which affect your risk level into your calculus, and go from there.

If you prefer to make decisions in a vacuum or if your opinion is easily buffeted for or against this or any other subject, the Internet is not a good place for you to spend your time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Swamp ash said:

Finally, I'd Like to give big props to @hipower who started this thread to share his personal journey. It takes strength to share this decision with folks he knew would respond negatively.

 It is quite the pity that others feel inclined to dismiss this very personal decision and argue incessantly against vaccination or extol that their rights are being infringed. This is a disservice to everyone here and very selfish to hijack such a thread to turn it into an anti-vax vehicle

Yeah this is kinda BS.  No one dismissed his decision or argued against him; in fact, many who don’t appear to be fans of the vaccine offered him encouragement and support.  The thread didn’t get sideways until people like you started arguing for more government mandates.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Yeah this is kinda BS.  No one dismissed his decision or argued against him; in fact, many who don’t appear to be fans of the vaccine offered him encouragement and support.  The thread didn’t get sideways until people like you started arguing for more government mandates.  

Speaking of total BS, no one (at all) argued for mandates, but rather, suggested that folks who make the choice to not be vaccinated (or wear masks) ought to own up to their own decisions and not intermingle with those who do. At least, until enough of the population has immunity, which may be in a few months.

It should not be too hard to expect folks to endure the consequence of their choices.  Everyone has to make some sacrifice during public crises. If you don't want to be burdened with a mask, or take the slight risk of vaccination, then simply isolate yourself from others and the public who don't want to endure the risk from you and have taken the requisite action that is supported by most of the population. 

 You do have choice but "freedom" does not mean you are free from the effects of your decision. 

In the meantime, the rest of us will do our part in reducing transmission and helping to put everyone back on track.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
59 minutes ago, Swamp ash said:

Finally, I'd Like to give big props to @hipower who started this thread to share his personal journey. It takes strength to share this decision with folks he knew would respond negatively.

 It is quite the pity that others feel inclined to dismiss this very personal decision and argue incessantly against vaccination or extol that their rights are being infringed. This is a disservice to everyone here and very selfish to hijack such a thread to turn it into an anti-vax vehicle

If you want to start a thread about your conspiracies with the Vaccination, then do so. In the meantime, you should consider that perhaps your comments in this thread may be discouraging to others, and quite frankly, that is unconscionable.

You are trying to combine two separate issues. No on that I have seen has disparaged hipower or anyone else who chose to get the vaccine. You, however, have done so toward anyone who chooses not to.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Just now, gregintenn said:

You are trying to combine two separate issues. No on that I have seen has disparaged hipower or anyone else who chose to get the vaccine. You, however, have done so toward anyone who chooses not to.

You ought not misframe matters and make false accusations. I have not seen anyone disparaging anyone else, in this thread. However, the mis(dis) information is not helpful to those who may be having a difficult time making the right decision for themselves. 

My point is simple: You make your bed then accept personal responsibility and lie in it.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Swamp ash said:

Folks are free to do what they want as long as it doesn't interfere with the rights (and certainly the health!) of others.

You lost me there, guy. I have absolutely ZERO responsibility to protect neither you nor anyone else. It is everyone's responsibility to look after their selves. I took the vaccine because, (with a significant background of education in medical science), the risk analysis showed me that it was in my best interest to do so.

If someone wants to come on here and state they they won't take the vaccine for whatever reason, (justified or unjustified), that's their choice as well as they have no responsibility to take care of others either.  If someone chooses to take the vaccine for whatever reason, (justified or unjustified), then that's their choice for the same reason.

What I have a problem with is people coming on here fear-mongering by spreading unsubstantiated claims or citing so-called "studies" that are anything but scientific.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Swamp ash said:

Speaking of total BS, no one (at all) argued for mandates, but rather, suggested that folks who make the choice to not be vaccinated (or wear masks) ought to own up to their own decisions and not intermingle with those who do. At least, until enough of the population has immunity, which may be in a few months.

It should not be too hard to expect folks to endure the consequence of their choices.  Everyone has to make some sacrifice during public crises. If you don't want to be burdened with a mask, or take the slight risk of vaccination, then simply isolate yourself from others and the public who don't want to endure the risk from you and have taken the requisite action that is supported by most of the population. 

 You do have choice but "freedom" does not mean you are free from the effects of your decision. 

 

Freedom means I can pass on a vaccine and I don’t have to isolate myself.  My decisions affect no one but myself.  Get over it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Administrator

I am watching the J&J vaccine with interest.  If I am going to do one, it will probably be that one.

I am not an anti-vaxxer, lest anyone be left with that idea.  I do the flu shot practically every year and have not sprouted a second head because of it yet.  I just want these COVID-19 vaccines to get some miles under their belt before I embrace them, especially the radically new ones.  Until then, I've had the real deal and that should suffice for a while. 

I also plan to not embrace any more social distancing unless some crazy new extraordinarily virulent and lethal version of COVID-19 or other nasty plague manifests.  There is a justifiable concern among the scientific community that social isolation in 2020 may have hurt us more than helped us, by diminishing our herd immunity to other communicable diseases.

I'm ready to get back out there and lick some damn doorknobs and hug randos at church, folks.  🙂

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Until then, I've had the real deal and that should suffice for a while. 

The vaccine brownshirts don’t mention this.  Are antibodies better than a vaccine?  Obviously, we don’t know long they stay with us, but we also don’t know how long the vaccine is effective.  As widespread as Covid has supposedly been, there ought to be plenty of people walking around with antibodies and that should help expedite herd immunity.  I know I was (and probably still am) one of them.  
 

On a side note, my best friend’s mother (age 81) got her second vaccine shot about three weeks and developed a suspected blood clot two weeks later.  She was in the hospital for five days, then got Covid.  He said nurses went in and out of a patient’s room across the hall dressed in hazmat-looking suits, so he suspects she got it while at the hospital.  She’s not doing great, but is not on a ventilator.  She was fairly healthy before all this.  Her daughter (who also had both shots) also now has Covid, but has mild symptoms.  I guess they are not in the 90% effective group.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1
Link to comment
17 hours ago, TGO David said:

I am watching the J&J vaccine with interest.  If I am going to do one, it will probably be that one.

I am not an anti-vaxxer, lest anyone be left with that idea.  I do the flu shot practically every year and have not sprouted a second head because of it yet.  I just want these COVID-19 vaccines to get some miles under their belt before I embrace them, especially the radically new ones.  Until then, I've had the real deal and that should suffice for a while. 

I also plan to not embrace any more social distancing unless some crazy new extraordinarily virulent and lethal version of COVID-19 or other nasty plague manifests.  There is a justifiable concern among the scientific community that social isolation in 2020 may have hurt us more than helped us, by diminishing our herd immunity to other communicable diseases.

I'm ready to get back out there and lick some damn doorknobs and hug randos at church, folks.  🙂

 

 

If I had been given the choice I would have chosen the J&J vaccine. I may not be as effective as the mRNA vaccines, but it's hard to argue with ZERO deaths and ZERO severe cases of COVID if it doesn't prevent you from getting it. The adenovirus technology has been around for decades, but mRNA has been around a while too, and it's based on decades of research.

Edited by E4 No More
  • Like 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

If I had been given the choice I would had chosen the J&J vaccine. I may not be as effective as the mRNA vaccines, but it's hard to argue with ZERO deaths and ZERO severe cases of COVID if it doesn't prevent you from getting it. The adenovirus technology has been around for decades, but mRNA has been around a while too, and it's based on decades of research.

I've read that the Pfizer is the best one to get, but I got my second Moderna yesterday at the VA in Nashville.  My wife got the J&J today at walmart.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Defender said:

I've read that the Pfizer is the best one to get, but I got my second Moderna yesterday at the VA in Nashville.  My wife got the J&J today at walmart.

I got mine yesterday in VA Murfreesboro. I define better as if you still get the virus that the effect is lessened. In other words, if you are part of the 5% that the vaccine doesn't work on what are your chances of dying from it. J&J is showing that if it doesn't work then you still won't get severely sick from it and/or die. My wife is calling our local Wallyworld to see if they have the J&J.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

I am watching the J&J vaccine with interest.  If I am going to do one, it will probably be that one.

I am not an anti-vaxxer, lest anyone be left with that idea.  I do the flu shot practically every year and have not sprouted a second head because of it yet.  I just want these COVID-19 vaccines to get some miles under their belt before I embrace them, especially the radically new ones.  Until then, I've had the real deal and that should suffice for a while. 

I also plan to not embrace any more social distancing unless some crazy new extraordinarily virulent and lethal version of COVID-19 or other nasty plague manifests.  There is a justifiable concern among the scientific community that social isolation in 2020 may have hurt us more than helped us, by diminishing our herd immunity to other communicable diseases.

I'm ready to get back out there and lick some damn doorknobs and hug randos at church, folks.  🙂

 

 

BTW: The latest research is that antibodies last 8 months. If you contract a mutation your antibodies would likely protect you from it becoming severe. Something similar happened with H1N1: Those who got the flu shot and contracted H1N1 had a mild case of H1N1.

Link to comment
34 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

If I had been given the choice I would had chosen the J&J vaccine. I may not be as effective as the mRNA vaccines, but it's hard to argue with ZERO deaths and ZERO severe cases of COVID if it doesn't prevent you from getting it. The adenovirus technology has been around for decades, but mRNA has been around a while too, and it's based on decades of research.

Did you get the Moderna one?

Link to comment

I got second dose of the Pfizer a week ago. One more week for it to reach full moxie, and I'll rejoin the world to a greater extent.

Lots of things to catch up on needing personal contact, couple doctors, dentist, Comcast, and perhaps most of all - A HAIRCUT!

Assuming my old barber who was taking no precautions at all last time I was there long ago is still kicking. I don't care how cool man buns are, I'm over it. 😉

I must say, I might continue the curb side pickup thing with Kroger though, even when/if Covid is no longer a factor if they are still offering it. Done that twice, and it's aces. Gonna try it with Sam's too.

- OS

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Moderators
23 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

I got second dose of the Pfizer a week ago. One more week for it to reach full moxie, and I'll rejoin the world to a greater extent.

Lots of things to catch up on needing personal contact, couple doctors, dentist, Comcast, and perhaps most of all - A HAIRCUT!

Assuming my old barber who was taking no precautions at all last time I was there long ago is still kicking. I don't care how cool man buns are, I'm over it. 😉

I must say, I might continue the curb side pickup thing with Kroger though, even when/if Covid is no longer a factor if they are still offering it. Done that twice, and it's aces. Gonna try it with Sam's too.

- OS

My wife has been using the curbside pickup with Kroger for the last several years. With twin toddler boys (well, now 4yo) it makes life much easier. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

To tell the truth, I haven't yet decided whether I will take a vaccine. What I have never liked, all the way back to grade school, is someone telling me I am going to do something.

Believe me, I understand this perspective!

Peace 😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, gregintenn said:

To tell the truth, I haven't yet decided whether I will take a vaccine. What I have never liked, all the way back to grade school, is someone telling me I am going to do something.

Then don't. You're master of your own domain. 

Link to comment
8 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

I got second dose of the Pfizer a week ago. One more week for it to reach full moxie, and I'll rejoin the world to a greater extent.

Lots of things to catch up on needing personal contact, couple doctors, dentist, Comcast, and perhaps most of all - A HAIRCUT!

Assuming my old barber who was taking no precautions at all last time I was there long ago is still kicking. I don't care how cool man buns are, I'm over it. 😉

I must say, I might continue the curb side pickup thing with Kroger though, even when/if Covid is no longer a factor if they are still offering it. Done that twice, and it's aces. Gonna try it with Sam's too.

- OS

I hate shopping.  I hate going in stores.  I hate waiting in checkout lines.  I think I probably must hate being around people most of the time.  The absolute best thing about this whole virus snafu is that I forced myself to learn how to do curbside pickups with the Wallyworld ap.  I doubt I will ever step foot in one again ...

Link to comment

I have had the dadburn chicom  flu. It wasn’t fun but it was a deadly. I am living proof masks don’t work and the chicom  flu don’t kill, What does Kill is underlying conditions. People with underlying conditions, if they so choose should get the shot. It is a personal choice.

If the J&J shot becomes more available and I’m not stepping in line in front of someone that really needs it, I just might take a shot. But that is a good bit down the road for me. Antibodies are lasting at least eight months now as testing gets better. Since I’ve had the chicom flu I can no longer catch it and can no longer give it away.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines
 
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.