Single action 357 or gi 1911 for hiking

loadedp3at

2 hours ago, loadedp3at said:

Which would you rather have for hiking in back country? Possible black bear encounters are probably largest type animal. Same weight and barrel about the same length.

I’d pick a single action 357 mag, never been crazy about a 1911.Just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, loadedp3at said:

That would be nice! I only have a choice of a single action or the 1911 I currently own.

If it has to be a single action id grab my ruger SBH 44. 

But for a hiking or woods gun id go with a 41 44 45lc or 500 mountain gun (short barrel). I like my 1911's but revolvers just wear easier for me when out in the weeds.

The .357 is a more versatile gun imho and single-action is all you need. 

I agree with @Garufa

I hike all over the freakin' place way too much and the only bears remotely concerning to me are those in the GSMNP because they are so desensitized to people. The ones I encounter everywhere else are running scared. I do keep a look out for hogs and weirdos, though.

12 minutes ago, Garufa said:

.357 all the way but I would be more concerned about hogs than bears. 

I'd be more concerned about 2 legged predators than those. 

And I'd definitely want a double action, not a single action. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Of the two, I'd go with the SA .357. Much more versatile with ammo selection and just better suited to the task asked for.  

As for myself, I much prefer a DA revolver in either .44 Special or .45 Colt. I also agree that an encounter with a bear is extremely unlikely. More likely critter encounters would be feral hogs or wild dogs. Even that is pretty slim. The real threat is from bad people. 

• Like 3
16 hours ago, loadedp3at said:

Which would you rather have for hiking in back country? Possible black bear encounters are probably largest type animal. Same weight and barrel about the same length.

Carry em both... Remember... " The quickest reload is a second pistola..! "...

" Woodswalkin leroy ", the hillside tactician...

• Like 1

DA .357. I actually carry a S&W 442 on all my hikes. I’m not as concerned about 4 legged predators, as I am the two legged kind. That being said, I’m stepping up to my Taurus 627 Tracker with a 4” barrel, starting soon.

• Like 1

DA as others have said, a SA is not what I would even consider owning,  I see no need in them unless all you do is punch holes in paper and guess what that DA, allows to be shot SA!! I am like others here, don't worry about the bears unless you walk up on mom with cubs, watch out for hogs and 2 legged predators.

On 3/13/2021 at 7:05 PM, Swamp ash said:

The .357 is a more versatile gun imho and single-action is all you need. 

I agree with @Garufa

I hike all over the freakin' place way too much and the only bears remotely concerning to me are those in the GSMNP because they are so desensitized to people. The ones I encounter everywhere else are running scared. I do keep a look out for hogs and weirdos, though.

This.  Those back country bears don't want anything more than to get as far away from you as possible.  But those Cades Cove bears, and any bears that hang out around civilization are the ones that will destroy your car, your camp, and maybe you. 

• Like 1

If you are good with the 1911, I'd stick with that.  You're not looking for trouble, so the .45 should work well on most types of trouble that find you.  For me, a .45 carries more easily than a single action revolver.  Plus, a pair of extra mags takes up very little room and gives you more options if you run into more trouble than one mag can handle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, loadedp3at said:

This is what I was thinking. I don't mind the weight but the 1911 carries better for me when walking a lot. I know a lighter weight would be better but I must use what I have.

To go down this rabbit hole a bit.  I agree on the 1911 carry thing.  Used ta tote one myself. If ya got the $ s, get a threepersons holster on a good belt. That will do a lot to solve the weight problem.  The  " budget " solution is hip pocket carry in your carhartts or orher dungaree type pants or your trusty overalls.  It works like a charm.

leroy...