These knives have an interesting history

20 hours ago, derf said:

About 1,000 rounds of 5.56  and the knife would last way longer. Too bad they are sold out. Just saying

I know, they came and went in a flash but other sites still have them.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BO110190DAM/boker-tirpitz-folding-knife-damascus-blade-aluminum-handles-with-walnut-inlay

There are some that were made from Leopard tank barrels!

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BO084D/boker-leopard-damascus-i-folding-knife-damascus-blade-aluminum-handles-with-ziracote-wood-inlays

I am beginning to think one of these would make a great anniversary gift to my wife 🙂  - lol!

Edited by Swamp ash
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

I think that salvage operation was in the 50’s.  Amazing that they’ve still got access to that steel 70 years later.

Seems like those knives ought to have RAF Lancaster air group logos on them. Seems like they hunted that thing for most of the war. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I think that salvage operation was in the 50’s.  Amazing that they’ve still got access to that steel 70 years later.

Seems like those knives ought to have RAF Lancaster air group logos on them. Seems like they hunted that thing for most of the war. 

Perhaps it took that long for the German government to release it, or statute of limitations to run out. Sunken warships typically remain property of their government and are considered tombs. 

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
55 minutes ago, peejman said:

Perhaps it took that long for the German government to release it, or statute of limitations to run out. Sunken warships typically remain property of their government and are considered tombs. 

It’s been a long time since I’ve read about that.  In my memory, the Norwegian government did the salvage because it was a hazard to navigation. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, MacGyver said:

It’s been a long time since I’ve read about that.  In my memory, the Norwegian government did the salvage because it was a hazard to navigation. 

Indeed. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_battleship_Tirpitz

There's also an episode of "Drain the Oceans" that covers the Tirpitz. I'd forgotten it sank in very shallow water.  And that whole series is really good. 

• Like 1

Damn I wish my grandfather was still alive, he was a Tanker in WWII and spoke of his long days and nights in a Sherman as they fought across France into Germany.....I can't imagine firing a shell at a tank to watch it bounce off the armor and prepare to be fired upon now that they know where you are......I would have liked to hand him one of those made from Sherman tank steel as a memento.....he always spoke highly of what he and millions of others did in that war to stop the Damn Nazis......he always called them the Damn Nazis.......R.I.P. Thomas Goike....

• Like 1